Li Yongbo ( 李永波 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Han, Nov 11, 2007.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Everyone wants to purchase a ticket to see 3 sets of 30:29, 5 hours non-stop fighting, but you can't expect that to happen every time. Just like NBA, sometimes, you witness 3 OT, last second buzzer beater. Sometimes, you witness 1 side blow out, all benches instead of all star packed 20 minutes of garbage time.

2. 6 days are a lot. PG was sick, throwing up during flight, sent to hospital in MAS, but came back to win a title after less than 1 week. Should I say he faked the illness just to draw more attention? Obviously not. ;)

2. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    If I were you, I would be careful with that high-lighted statement...

as Lazybuddy will definitely go after this particular statement with his famous argument... XXZ and XXF didn't even get to play because of some ridiculous limitation to the number of players from one nation... How are you suppose to call it "may the best player win", when the Men's singles world champion could not even participate.

How do you expect XXZ and XXF feel when they know damn well that their Olympic dreams were stolen from them by some rank 100+ players from another country???

#102 bananakid, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Like another 5,000 old threads, I don't see any new juice in this thread at all. Basically, some "fans" can't take the fact that CHN gain more success than any one else in this sport. So, they pick the dirts, with proof or simply randomly shoot.

You should NEVER judge a situation by a very isolated case. You need to look at the overall picture. Then, you will find out sometimes you gain some, sometimes, you lose some.

Here's what my take for non-CHN players, coaches and "fans":

1. When you receive benefit: i.e. Got into the OG due to "limited entries per nation", even though you know you are not good enough, just enjoy the experience, learn from others, and thank god to give you the chance.

2. When you lose for whatever reason: suck it up, train harder, and find the problem from yourself. The main problem exists in yourself AND your organization, not other players, coaches, facility, draws, fans, the food you ate in the morning, or the good looking chix passing the courside... :p

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have to say, human nature as it is, consider the "luck" as "I deserve it". Once there's no more "luck" but "reality", we feel "I got cheated". :eek:

#104 LazyBuddy, Nov 14, 2007
  5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This case, it is not LYB but the BWF, setting up the artificial barriers

Yes, you are correct. :):):)

You've just stated another example... In this case, it is not LYB but the BWF, setting up the artificial barriers.

#105 chris-ccc, Nov 14, 2007
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that sound nice and dandy from the world u r living in now but in any communist countries, be it china, ex-east germany, ex-romania, russia, sports is a propaganda machine, players are just pawns. LYB knows that, YZY knows that too. Fortunately, china don't kill or eat their players.
    YZY did not have to obey LYB. She could of taking the chance and go for the glory just like the table tennis player in post #42. I'm sure YZY also weighted her chances and options and had elected, yes elected, to lose. BTW, we have revelation that lyb did rfix the WS match in 2000 OG. Do we have tangible proof or words from YZY's mouth that she actually did exactly what lyb had ordered? (i don't know this part) or did she lost to gzc on technical ground? Until we hear stories from both side, we shouldn't feel so emotional about it. I'm only presenting view from my own interpretation of the events and what evidence presented todate.

If u compare yzy and gzc today, imo, yzy is doing quite well financially and had emotionally accepted her fate. She is playing golf while gzc is trying to grind out a living from her store, coaching and part time modeling it seem. It seem she (yzy) had moved on with her life while some of us not even have a stake in this affair is holding a grudge on lyb. Let it go.

#106 cooler, Nov 14, 2007
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In 2008 OG, if no injuries or sickness or retirement, LYB will like face such situation:

1. MS: LD, BCL, CH, CJ, CY (likely all in top 10)

2. WS: ZN, XXF, Lu Lan, Zhu Lin, Jiang Yanjiao, Wang Lin, Wang Yihan (likely 4 or 5 in top 10, the rest high in 10-20 if given enough chance to play)

3. WD: GL/HS (not sure about Hung Sui status), ZJW/YW, ZYW/WYL, Du Jing/Yu Yang(like all in top 10, if stay in the same pair and enough chance to play)

Tell me, any of the above does NOT deserve to play OG? However, we will see a huge cut of about 50% (7 out of 16 and 4 out of 7 WS) of listed above. Thanks for the "fairness" with the OG setup to begin with. :cool:

Before we feel bad for the "match fixing" victims, let's free bad for "limited entries" victims. They can't even play the qualification round even if they could be the WC champions!!!

#107 LazyBuddy, Nov 14, 2007
  8. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Not just those elites you mentioned... but also in my opinion they are taking away my chance to watch Hafiz demonstrate more yo-yo action in the OG08(well at least according to current ranking)... and that is NOT COOL!!!!!!!!!:mad:

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

to add, we should look at the big picture. We all wanted fair play and ethical standard. On a larger scale, we have vote rigging/buying within IOC, pre-deals made between russia and france on figure skating results, top althetes taking banned performance enhancement substance. What lyb had done is legal under bwf and we keep seeing it as a huge olympic controversy

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

my last comment was spoken in a generality context. Everyone play for their own little reason. In any open tournaments in your local area, do u see every badminton players in your area join and particpate in tournaments?? Obviously there are some truth in my statement

#110 cooler, Nov 14, 2007
  11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it is highly possible that hafiz oscillating frequency (yoyo) might crest in august 2008 but he wont get the chance to compete.

12. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    I am more interested in seeing whether he can erase last year Asian games' shame of losing 10+ match points(and eventually lost the game to Lee Hyun Il) by saving 10+ match points and win a game in OG 08.

That will make him the ultimate yo-yo king.:p:D

13. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

@lazybuddy: you post alot, but i don't agree with you, because you only talk about whole groups and what is best for them.
    My aproach is individual- i only feel for somebody who must loose desperately. and this is not right no matter what (only if he himself has reason to loose).

14. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Eastern asian cultures: tend to be more "collective" minded

Western cultures: tend to be more "indidualized" minded

anyone took social psych at uni level yet lol?
    seriously I think this the root of what the "argument" is about here, and why some members can't seem to agree...anywho this discussion always pops back up every few months and lazybuddy gets to flex his finger muscles to type up those long complete(and clear) posts to defend or perhaps "offer a different perspective" to this whole shananigan

15. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

but thats also in other olympic disciplines. since i m grman, i only know in "bob racing" (winter sports) the german are only allowed to start with 3 people who (women) sometimes get place 1-3...they could have more starters...

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    And, as LYB says: "May I always win" :p

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I have posted times before XXZ should play in WC05 and being there in Anaheim, I would like to see him play. BWF limiting CHN entries is to control CHN dominance otherswise CHN will flood the top 10 spots in all events with most likely all-CHN finals. I also said when LCW, PG and TH retires, with no non-CHN players coming up, CHN will rule.

I do not agree match fixing, to deny YZY a chance to compete for OLY gold is fair being her last shot at gold, that is my point. Players at the top level, the gap is so small that the score could tilt one way or another, to say YZY has less chance to win, so might as well walk, that is no right.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yup, post #657 sums it up nicely http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17468&page=66

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Isn't the Olympics about country first and individual next? On the other hand the Super Series is more the individual first and country last, unless there are higher motives behind so called match-fixing. Maybe LYB is using a type of "comparative advantage" that only smart nations use in economics. Maybe LYB has brought the art of strategy-basing on a bit of statistics in this case-to a higher level.
    In the animal kingdom the pride is always ruled by the alpha male, the strongest over all the others. In humans, our ability to think for the common good over the individual, even if the individual is the human equivalent alpha male, is the reason why there is no alpha male in the human species.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i like to add thomas/uber cup, sudirman cup too have element of country versus country, not about individual gratification.