Why do you need a new racquet?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Chu Pa, May 1, 2002.

?

Why do you need a new racquet?

1. Broke your current racquet

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Just wanted to get the latest cool racquet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Add to your collection of racquets

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. It's a classic, I must have it!!!!!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Need a back-up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Impulse buy!!!!!!!!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. The racquet was made for me so I must have another just in case I break my first

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Curious to try a racquet everyone was talking about

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A little of everything mentioned

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Why do you need to ask??

2. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Well, this isn't in the good thread, and maybe the mods will move you post and my answer.

It is ashaway strings, something like powergut 66 or 65. On the made in Canada part, I am very surprised since BK is a Canadian company but they usually do not make their rackets in Canada, so maybe you had something more like Babolat (that has : Engineered in France).

3. pechen

pechen Regular Member

I'm eyeing the new Yonex FB. Do i need it? Not really. Do i want it? Hell yeah :p

4. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    I have eyes on the new Yonex Nanoray 800. This is a want more than a need.

5. chunkee

chunkee Regular Member

Golf Pro
    Bought the Arcsaber 9FL for the wife
    Got myself an Adizero Pro...
    Ah! need something for my son~~~:D

6. haunt3dWinGz

haunt3dWinGz New Member

My first racket was Carlton Fireblade Iso S-Lite until I whacked the racket on the ground due to frustration of making silly mistakes (which I regret still, since I can't find the same racket anywhere). Now I'm using Carlton Vapour Trail Storm (which I'm taking more care of). I'm looking for a back-up racket just incase the strings snap on my current racket which are still the original from when I purchased it. Although I would like to add to your collection of racquets and curious to try a racquet everyone was talking about but I voted for a little of everything mentioned.

thyrif likes this.
  7. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    my first racket was Kojak brand (not sure if u familiar with the brand, but it's famous in Malaysia in the 80's... cheap2 brand :p) then i move up to carbonex 8... now using 11 rackets mostly yonex & victor... dun think to add any racket in near future ... btw,gave my mp66 to my wife and my carbonex 8 & fleet racket to my sons.. :) and gave my crack at900power to them as well! :) hope they will play badminton like their father :)

8. jukebox

jukebox Regular Member

My Arcsaber FB died. :(

Looking at the Arcsaber 6 for a less wallet-breaking replacement, hopefully will play similarly...

9. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

From what I've read, it'll play even better! Just update us when you have a chance to play with the arc6

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    as of this year, 2013, i would get a new racket because i'm just tired of the one i currently use.

but as of May 2013, i will no longer be able to buy another racket for at least the next couple years.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Huh, what happened? Got married?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Huh, what happened? Got married?

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    am about to, and so i think my list will end where it is now. but as of today, my buddy will bring back two Nanoray800 3u and one Arcsaber Flashboost for me from Taiwan.....sssshhhhhhhhh

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... I guessed right. :D

Hope she's also a baddy fanatic like you. :p

15. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

After last summer, I've stopped buying rackets, in fact I'm selling some. Mainly because I think I should focus on adapting to my current rackets than looking for a new one that might seem better suited for me.

I've already improved so much with my stiff rackets, and generating more power. During summer I wanted a mid-stiff racket to generate power, and ease my elbow soreness and now there's no need for it anymore.

I rather spend money on different strings now that I found a slightly head heavy and stiff racket. :)

16. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

I look for new racquets when the ones I have are getting old.You'll know when "their time has come".Before their time has come,they start losing sweet spots;you can't really get much power out of them.So,when the times like that comes I start looking for back ups.

17. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

it's an addiction

18. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Pretty sure this is not true. The only real change will be in the strings and grip, not the racket. Which is why you should change grips fairly often unless you play better with a worn and compressed grip.

But rackets themselves don't really change unless you've damaged one. There are rackets I've picked up, Tennis and Badminton alike, which I've re gripped and strung after a long hiatus and then used which feel like new. I can confirm this because I often keep a back up racket, one that is barely ever used, versus one that I always use. The one that I always use, despite countless hours of play time, still plays exactly the same as the new version of the same racket.

Yonex, Victor etc would love to have you believe rackets degrade with use, but they really don't. And if they did, i'd be asking for my money back. Because with the absurd, stupendously marked up prices these companies are charging these days, they should last a lifetime unless genuinely abused.

Honestly, placebo, materialism, addiction, curiosity, boredom, appreciation for the new etc are all reasons people consistently buy new rackets, but a logical person would just experiment till he finds his ideal, then stick with those.

Personally I'm fine with one aggressive demanding racket (VT80) and one aggressive but more accommodating (MX80, JJS, MX90) and maybe one more for easy play if I don't want to strain myself or want speed over power (Bravesword 12 etc). Chances are when I build my stamina back up, the VT80 will be my go to once again. Still the best overall racket imo, if your skill level or stamina is accommodating.

#358 Naim.F.C, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

It's not widely known or discussed, but if you talk to experienced older players and racket designers (eg. Dinkalot), you'll find that the shaft will become more flexible over a few years of use.

Reason is that repeated movement and flexion of the shaft causes the carbon to weaken and soften over time.

20. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Scientifically that is sound, depending on how you look at it. You could look at the initial stiffness of a new racket as one that is not properly worn in, and a well used racket worn in and at its true form. A bit like a Plasma TV where the phosphors need to age. I doubt the materials inside will continually compress to an infinite degree, rather to a particular threshold only, that is, compress to add some margin of added flexibility over time. Not to the extent a stiff racket is going to turn flimsy mind. I'm talking a 10% compression or flex difference at best over a massive period of time. But it would be nice to have a scientific study behind this.