Terms used when we talk about Badminton Techniques and Training (Strokes/Shots)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chris-ccc, Aug 2, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Stick Smash

Today, I find time to add in the term "Stick Smash" in our list. :):):)

* Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A Block Return of a Smash is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Bounce = A Dribble when we meet the shuttlecock 10cm below the net tape.
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played high (higher than the racket head held high) to our opponent.
    * Cut = Slice; A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing this shot when we are playing another shot.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm Clear executed to our opponent's Back Tram Lines; allowing us more time to return to our base position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own forecourt to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A Service that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the Fore Court of our opponent's court.
    * Floating Base = The base area considered as best for us to get to the corners (in time), before the shuttlecock travels there.
    * Fore Court = The area between the service line and the net
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a rally.
    * Lift = A Clear which is played from an underarm stroke.
    * Mid Court = The area between the Fore Court and the Back Tram Lines
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Overhead Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead Clear executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be met by our opponent.*
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a Push.
    * Service = The first stroke or shot played in a rally.
    * Shadow Badminton = A drill performed without using the shuttlecock.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. Slice Smash and Slice Dropshot are most common.
    * Sliced Smash = A smash by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wall Drill = Drill for perfecting our strokes by hitting against the wall.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the Side Tram Lines; directing it to fall between the front and the back players.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, I'm anglicising the Danish, which I believe is written "stik smash".

What does "stik" actually translate to in English? I've assumed "stick", but I could be horribly wrong...

3. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Stik vs. Stick

Well I looked at some other material (E.g. the Danish "Badmintonbogen"), which agree with both Gollum's and lcleing's approach. Also it better fit with what I have original learned and how other DK players that I know use the term.

Also I have found some other small mistakes for the first source I reffered to, and I have been told it was made in a rush, so I conclude that this materiale was, to express it nicely, not "precise" enough!
    Sorry for the confusion. I would though say that the term is a bit tricky, if you do 95%, 65% or 7,39226938151(lol)% of a full smash, when is it then a "Stik"smash!?

Gollum: Concerning the translation of the term, then "Stik" can mean sereval things, so it could be misleading to translate it into stick, just like that!
    In English stick refer to some kind of relative long and narrow form, for instance made of wood!
    In Danish Stik can at least mean:

(1a) Body, when the nurse put the needle in your skin, or if a bee bites/sting you, which makes this red scracthy thing on your skin!
    (1b) In relation to that, it is also used for emotions - somthing that hurts: a "Stik" in my heart...

(2) Games, Playing cards or childrens memory game, in english I believe you call it a "trick"?

(3) Orientation, Refering to a direction/line, like to get there you should go straight ahead(stik) (- in that direction).

(4) Attitude - If you disagree, like having the exactly opposite opinion, Stik is used emphazise the diametrically aspect of it.

(5) Electronics, a connector, plug, like the one you put into a power supply! In english I guess you use the term an "USB-stick", because of the form of these things, though in Danish we use the term "USB-Stik", because of the connector thing. But Danes very fast adopt from English, so because of this intervention, for the future I believe that Stik is more likely to include the meaning of a stick.

(Well, this is not in the dictionary, but also a specific part of the male body, can be referred to as a Stik, not that common though, and I am not sure whether it refers to the form or the plug thing, lol.)

Here you can find some examples of the use of the word: http://www.ordbogen.com/opslag.php?word=stik&dict=auto

#123 Mikael, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Ah ha! That seems the most likely meaning: roughly speaking: "stik smash" = "sharp smash". It's describing the character of the technique, which is a shortened, sharp, sudden movement, as opposed to a longer, more powerful movement.

5. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    :)

Hmm I could defend the term in relation to at least 1), 2) and 3) to some extent...
    Though I did not relate it to "sharp", that is an interesting veiw!
    Just to be sure concerning 1), "Stik" does not refer to the sharpness of the needle, but the little feeling you get as it meets the skin (prick)! Thereby the term does NOT automatically include the "shock" effect, that some people get, eventhough they know what is going to happen, lol.

Also 2) is interesting, because it can relate to the use of it. You need to "pair" it to get the point! On the other hand it does not tells anything about the technical aspect!

#125 Mikael, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  6. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Nice list we got :) Still if we have a defensive clear, there should also be a ? clear !

Also I did not find "FingerPower", which is an exaggerated movement of the standard paired lose-tight grip motion, often used with the Netkill/Tap! It is done by making a little gap in your hand/palm.

#126 Mikael, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I did not find "FingerPower"

You are probably talking about the "Attacking Clear". Perhaps, we shall say that "Attacking Clear" = "Punch Clear". :):):)

Regarding "Finger Power", I remember reading a post/thread from kwun about it some 3 years ago. Please allow me time to search for it. Maybe kwun can direct us to this thread of his.

8. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Perhaps :), assuming no players are like 3 metres high lol

I did once uploaded a video about Fingerpower on youtube, and linked to it in a thread about it in here, but since I think I have deleted the videos on youtube, sorry.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Fingerpower on youtube

You can upload the video again and then send us the link in this thread.

10. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Off-topic: (Unfortunately, I lost the videos last time my harddrive went out :(. As soon as I find a full time job, though, I will make a webside, with 3D videos, showing stuff like that in details (zoom in/out functions), to be dicussed in this forum).

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Flat clear = Shallow clear = Punch clear = Attacking clear

In another thread, Gollum mentioned;

* High clear = Defensive clear
    * Flat clear = Shallow clear = Punch clear = Attacking clear

And more to what Gollum has posted;

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

3D videos: Showing stuff in details

Hi Mikael,

Hope that;

1. You have now found a full-time job
    2. You can make your 3D videos for us, as soon as possible
    :):):)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Whipping Backhand Lift

In another thread, a stroke was described/shown;

Some call it the 'Whipping Underarm Backhand Clear' or the 'Whipping Backhand Lift'.

* Whipping Backhand Lift = An underarm Clear executed from the Back Tram Lines whipping the shuttlecock high to opponent's Back Tram Lines.

Do Bcers have a different name/term for this stroke?

14. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    I would call it the "Taufik" :p

oh and another one similar to the whipping underarm backhand clear, would be the forehand version lol

15. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    Hi all, this is a nice thread on techniques' names. I was wondering whether you guys have heard of or seen someone use a 'Sliced flat clear'? which has some deception features to it. It looks like a smash or drop shot, so opponents anticipate the shot to the forecourt, but didn't expect it flying to the rear court.

I didn't see "forehand/reverse-forehand overhead sliced dropshot" in the list.

Hope that helps
    Cheers

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sliced Flat Clear

Hi Agile_Monkey,

You are welcome to add more terms to our list.

Thanks for mentioning about the 'Sliced Flat Clear'. :):):)

For players who have not heard of this term before, we could term it as;

* Sliced Flat Clear = A Punch Clear executed with spin to the shuttlecock; to slow it down quicker after passing over the receiver.

#136 chris-ccc, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sliced Flat Clear

Adding in the term "Sliced Flat Clear" in our list before I forget. :):):)

* Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court.
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A Block Return of a Smash is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Bounce = A Dribble when we meet the shuttlecock 10cm below the net tape.
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played high (higher than the racket head held high) to our opponent.
    * Cut = Slice; A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing this shot when we are playing another shot.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm Clear executed to our opponent's Back Tram Lines; allowing us more time to return to our base position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own forecourt to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A Service that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the Fore Court of our opponent's court.
    * Floating Base = The base area considered as best for us to get to the corners (in time), before the shuttlecock travels there.
    * Fore Court = The area between the service line and the net.
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a rally.
    * Lift = A Clear which is played from an underarm stroke.
    * Mid Court = The area between the Fore Court and the Back Tram Lines.
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Overhead Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead Clear executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be met by our opponent.*
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a Push.
    * Service = The first stroke or shot played in a rally.
    * Shadow Badminton = A drill performed without using the shuttlecock.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. Slice Smash and Slice Dropshot are most common.
    * Sliced Flat Clear = A Punch Clear executed with spin to the shuttlecock; to slow it down quicker after passing over the receiver.
    * Sliced Smash = A smash by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wall Drill = Drill for perfecting our strokes by hitting against the wall.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the Side Tram Lines; directing it to fall between the front and the back players.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Some badminton terms found here:
    http://www.worldbadminton.com/glossary.html

Badminton Glossary

Descriptions of many terms and expressions used in the sport of badminton.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alley - extension of the court by 1-1/2 feet on both sides for doubles play
    Back Alley- Area between the back boundary line and the long service line for doubles.
    Backcourt- Back third of the court, in the area of the back boundary lines.
    Balk (Feint)- Any deceptive movement that disconcerts an opponent before or during the service.
    Baseline- Back boundary line at each end of the court, parallel to the net.
    Carry- An illegal tactic, also called a sling or a throw, in which the shuttle is caught and held on the racquet and then slung during the execution of a stroke.
    Center or Base Position- Location in the center of the court to which a singles player tries to return after each shot.
    Center Line- Line perpendicular to the net that separates the left and right service courts.
    Clear- A shot hit deep to the opponents back boundary line. The high clear is a defensive shot, while the flatter attacking clear is used offensively.
    Court- Area of play, as defined by the outer boundary lines.
    Drive- A fast and low shot that makes a horizontal flight over the net.
    Drop- A shot hit softly and with finesse to fall rapidly and close to the net on the opponent's side.
    Fault- A violation of the playing rules, either in serving, receiving, or during play.
    Feint (Balk)- Any deceptive movement that disconcerts an opponent before or during the service.
    Flick- A quick wrist and forearm rotation that surprises an opponent by changing an apparently soft shot into a faster passing one; used primarily on the serve and at the net.
    Forecourt- Front third of the court, between the net and the short service line.
    Hairpin Net Shot- Shot made from below and very close to the net with the shuttle rising, just clearing the net, and then dropping sharply down the other side. The shuttle's flight approximates the shape of a hairpin.
    Halfcourt Shot- A shot hit low and to midcourt, used effectively in doubles against the up-and-back formation.
    Kill- fast downward shot that cannot be returned; a "putaway".
    Let- A legitimate cessation of play to allow a rally to be replayed.
    Long Service Line- In singles, the back boundary line. In doubles a line 2-1/2 feet inside the back boundary line. The serve may not go past this line.
    Match- A series of games to determine a winner.
    Midcourt- The middle third of the court, halfway between the net and the back boundary line.
    Net Shot- Shot hit from the forecourt that just clears the net and then falls rapidly.
    Push Shot- Gentle shot played by pushing the shuttle with little wrist motion, usually from the net or midcourt to the opponent's midcourt.
    Racquet (Racket)- Instrument used by the player to hit the shuttlecock. Weight about 90 grams (3 oz). Length 680 mm (27 in). Made from metal alloys (steel/aluminum) or from ceramic, graphite or boron composites. Generally strung with synthetic strings or natural gut.
    Rally- Exchange of shots while the shuttle is in play.
    Serve (Service)- Stroke used to put the shuttlecock into play at the start of a rally.
    Service Court- Area into which the serve must be delivered. Different for singles and doubles play.
    Short Service Line- The line 6-1/2 feet from the net which a serve must reach to be legal.
    Shuttlecock (Shuttle)- Official name for the object that the players must hit. Composed of 16 goose feathers attached to a cork base covered with leather. Synthetic shuttles are also used by some.
    Smash- Hard-hit overhead shot that forces the shuttle sharply downward. Badminton's primary attacking stroke.
    Wood Shot- Shot that results when the base of the shuttle is hit by the frame of the racket. Once illegal, this shot was ruled acceptable by the International Badminton Federation in 1963.

===================================================================

I find the terms "bounce" and "dribble" used in chris-ccc's description rather out of place for badminton. :rolleyes:

If you try to bounce the shuttlecock, it implies that you are hitting it twice or more times which is a fault. Dribbling the bird is a delicate task that will most likely put you in trouble. :D

A shuttlecock cannot be bounced up and down nor dribbled like a basketball or in a soccer game.

I think the "Flick" serve is used more often than the "drive serve", but it can't be hit hard since one uses more of the wrist rather than the forearm and also to produce that element of surprise.

The description of "clear" here seems to me to be clearer than an execution of a "Lob" or an underarm "Lift" from forecourt to the baseline.

The inclusion of the lethal "Half-court" smash adds more ammunition to the shots.

And of course the "Back Alley" does not mix with the normal tram-line "Alley".

I always thought that "Tumble" is an unlikely shot that hits the net cord/tape before tumbling or somersaulting over to the other side of the net.

#138 Loh, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

tumble is a spinning net shot.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

More info about the difference between Spinning and Tumbling

We have added a little bit more to it. You can go back to Post #22 to read more about it.

Basically, the difference is;
    * Spinning = The feathers are rotating or spinning
    * Tumbling = The shuttlecock is somersaulting or tumbling

A Tumble with little spin will be tumbling faster; as the cork wants to point downwards quicker because of the gravitational effect.

A Tumble with more spin will help the vertical axis of the cork to stay horizontal, inverted, lopsided, etc, ... longer.

In other words, when the shuttlecock is tumbling while spinning, the gyroscopic effect comes into play; to maintain/hold its orientation longer.