Sony Dwi Kuncoro

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by mnda_315, Jun 2, 2004.

1. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Despite of straight game, Sony vs DPY game was stretched to 52 minutes.
    Still, he is back now. I believe competition in MS top 10 will reinclude him onwards.

#221 naistav, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah.. SDK ... I hope he can get a good result in Singapore Open....1 more qualification match to go against Belgium MS..

3. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Yup, so many top players had withdrawn.. Hopefully Sony can take that chance :)

4. julianng

julianng Regular Member

I think SDK is doing even better than before he got injured right now. He beat LD and Taufik whom he never beat before this. I first noticed SDK when he beat LCW in 2007 and 2009 WC. I always thought he would be one of the best in the world since then. I like his style. His main qualities are being hardworking on the court and playing many drop shots in his game and his far-sightedness in shots.

It's a shame that his injury lasted so long otherwise we would see him win a few SS tournaments like he won 3 back-to-back in 2008(beating LCW). Here's to hoping he can climb back up the ranking before he gets inconsistent again. He is a player that plays well when least expected to. He plays well as an underdog rather than seeded player.

Also a pity he didn't qualify for olympics this year. He's just one of those names in badminton that will always remain as an underdog(not a top ranking), despite his qualities on court.

5. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    SDK is gonna go down in history as the biggest come back man of badminton. I'm guessing he'll be in the top 10 very very soon.

6. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    So I guess you didn't watch badminton yet when Sony got bronze medal in 2004 Olympic

Will be tough competition with Lee Hyun Ill.

7. julianng

julianng Regular Member

I saw his semi final match which he lost in that olympic , but I did not think he could beat top ranking players until later. The top seeds lost early in olympic 2004.

8. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    Owwhhh ... But at that time he already become INA number one player surpassed Taufik ranks.
    Although I got your point. I also didn't notice any significant result by him before 2007 WC
    I consider Sony as the best INA MS for mental toughness nowadays. Mentally he is much much better than Simon, Hayom, and even compare to Taufik. Honestly I don't think he could rise again as Top world player after his struggle with injury in recent years. But suprisingly he "almost" do it :)

9. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    SDK has made a come back from a ranking of 85 to 29 and he's only just begun. With a few top guns from the world about to quit, and with age certainly still on his side, he's gonna very soon be no.1 Indonesian player, and in the top 10 of the world. Lee Hyun Il on the other hand has return from retirement just to get his revenge on Chen Jin at the Olympics, which he did... good for him, but now he's definitely retiring. There isn't anyone left in the currently top ten but Chen Long that SDK hasn't toppled, and that is a really positive indication that SDK is someone to watch out for.

10. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    It's really that Lee Hyun Il has decided to full retiring ??? He still have his shoot out there

11. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    I've got a strong feeling that Sony Dwi Kuncoro is gonna win the Yonex Sunrise Vietname Open GP 2012. :) Top 10 here he comes by end of the year. :)

12. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    if anyone here doubts SDK's ability to defeat Tien Minh Nguyen in the semis of the Vietnamese Open... here is a reassuring fact: head to head is 2:1 with 2 victories for SDK. And the only game that SDK lost to Nguyen was one where he was injured. So given the fact that SDK is injury free and in average form, Nguyen is history. Another factor to consider is Nguyen's terrible form and age, which has shown obviously signs of catching up with him. :) GO Sony!!! GO!!! ;)

13. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Head to head between Dionysius and Sony is 0:0 as they have never met in an international circuit (or even local). Putting world and country ranking aside, I don't think any other Indonesian player comes close to beating Sony in his present form, except maybe his main stumbling block, Alamsyah Yunus. So the Vietnamese Open title is pretty much secured for SDK if he can overcome Alamsyah.

14. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Yup, come on Sony! You can do it.

15. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
    i think only SDK can beat Nguyen on this competition as Alamsyah lost to Nguyen badly this April Sydney Open.

16. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    Waiting for clash between Sony and Hayom. I will put my bet on Sony :)

17. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    awwww the comeback man of badminton stumbled at semis of the Vietnam Open. Still the tournament wasn't worth too much in ranking points. He climbs the ranking chart a liiiiiitle bit now.

18. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    I'm hoping SDK will make it to at least the quarterfinals of the Japan Open SS.
    Ranking 30/8/2012 should see him at about 23 or 24 I'm guessing.

19. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Ranking 30/8/2012 SDK stands at 25. This is from a ranking of 68 January this year.

20. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

i am going to bet that after these series of 8 tournament (4 asias, 4 europes) after the last competition(bitburger german GPG), Sony will be at top 10 of the world