London Grand Prix 2013

Discussion in 'Russia / London / Dutch Open 2013' started by LdonGrandPrx, Apr 8, 2013.

1. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

She lost....
    If I'm not wrong Deng Xuan played in the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore and came 2nd???

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If possible quarterfinal matches of Kristina and kirsty Gilmour please ?? I want to watch their matches. Somebody said that Gilmour's style is similar to that of juliane. Is that so??? Am very eager to watch..:)

3. drew tze en

Sorry... I don't think I recorded but hopefully and fingers crossed my brother might have a recording of it! :) hahaha :)
    I thought Gilmour played really well in both her Singles and Doubles yesterday :)

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    You mean Lin Chongwei..??? .. I have checked already. I could not find these girls' matches.. :(

5. drew tze en

No, I mean my actual brother haha :p

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    ha ha...;):)

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If you want to check out Kirsty's play style here is a vid of her winning the czech international last week
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD47AQ1aTpI&list=TLAFFk51ocbKWouowYTilZRLwOb9WfG3Bk

8. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

LGP Day 4 report

It’s the Quarters, and now we’re back to just three courts:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 001.jpg

First up is Busanan vs. Xuan Deng:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 006.jpg

For anyone watching this match with their eyes closed, they would be able to tell easily how the match was progressing from Deng’s shouts – 42 of them and she would be the winner. Unfortunately she only reached 31 (+ 1 from a shuttle she thought was in but was called out), so our eyes closed person would deduce that Busanan had achieved a good victory without undue drama (or noise):
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 011.jpg

Marin vs. Hera Desi (INA) – a tougher proposition for our eyes closed spectator as both girls shout after every won point. But with some careful acoustic coaching, it should still be possible to follow the game – Marin’s shout being deeper in tone that Hera’s:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 022.jpg

Actually, Hera played a superb first game and by the time Marin realised she was actually going to have to play serious Badminton to win it was already too late to save the first set. Still, she clicked into top gear and eased through games 2 & 3 to reach the semi’s.

Next, Raj Ouseph took on rising star Zulfadli ZulKiffli, but the Malaysian was nonplussed by Raj’s resolute defence and steeply angled stick smashes and lost in straight games:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 020.jpg

Anyone serious about studying the art of level doubles play can do no better than watch the Singapore pair of Shinta Mulio Sari and Lei Yao (who were up against Peng Du and Mengdjing Xiong (CHN)):
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 033.jpg

The fluency and efficiency of the Singapore pair, the intuitive and unspoken understanding between them is wonderful to watch, and it was only due to a flurry of small errors that they allowed the Chinese pair to steal the second game. That the match went to three games was, in fact, a hardship many of us were happy to endure as it did at least give that much extra time to watch the lovely Peng Du:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 034.jpg

And now for a competition! There is a prize of one Adidas Badminton clacker to the first person who can correctly answer this question: Just exactly how tall is Danish men’s doubles player Mads Pieter Kolding (round your answer to the nearest metre, please)?
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 042.jpg

I really like this venue. You can make a complete circuit of the arena on this mid level walkway:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 003.jpg London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 002.jpg

And the coloured seating is clever because it creates an intimate effect, even when the arena is empty. The seats themselves are simple plastic affairs, but in fact are surprisingly comfortable, even after a whole day’s Badminton watching:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 005.jpg

Quick round up of a few other matches. Feature match of the day was Victor against Xue Song (CHN), and Victor was tested a little more than in his earlier matches, but still came through in two. Victor has, by the way, a powerful backhand drive/smash which he uses regularly and which is nice to see:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 036.jpg

Kirsty’s fariytale of a double semifinal appearance came to grief when she and Jillie Cooper were outwitted by the Danes Kruse and Roepke:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 043.jpg

The story of the day was, of course, Kristina Gavnholt’s victory over Wang Xin:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 046.jpg

Followers of European Badminton will already know Kristina as a player fully capable of winning international challenger events, and Wang may have underestimated her. While Wang certainly produced moments of pure class, she was off her range today and curiously laboured in her movement around the court. We hope she continues her comeback, but for now let’s applaud Kristina for this career defining victory:
    London GP Gold 2 Oct 2013 050.jpg

OK, I'm off to the semi's.

smautf

Attached Files:

#108 Smautf, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

Yes, Deng Xuan lost to Sapsiree in final.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Hurry, you have less than 45 mins before the matches start.

11. drew tze en

She has some way to go before actually getting onto the elite team, I think.

12. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Quite obvious that the European players have been preparing hard for the European circuit. All three European semi-finalists in the MS skipped the last 3 tournaments in Asia. Their preparations are already bearing fruits, VA especially. Though disappointed I was actually not surprised by XS's defeat. He beat VA in WJC in a difficult 3-set encounter after VA just about made it on time to Japan after his finals against Liew Daren (C W Feng?) in an SS tournament in Europe. The rivalries among Kento, VA and XS in the coming years will be interesting.
    AS for THW,i do hope he can get through to the finals and win his second SS title. The other 3 S-finalists will have their chances too. Any player who can reach the last-4 stage must be good in his own way, in the on-going tournament at least.

#112 tbgoh288, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Astro 819 is showing live now.

14. drew tze en

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wow,that was close, one game apiece and everything to fight for in the XD.

16. drew tze en

17. drew tze en

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What a thrilling XD SF match between INA's back-up pair of Irfan Fadhilah/Weni Anggraini and the GER pair of Fuchs/Michels. As expected, the GER pair won 22-20 in the decider-set.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Was it in, the final point ? No replay on the TV screen.

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

What a close match, second seed GER Fuchs/Michels def. INA Fadhilah/Aggraini 19-21 / 21-19 / 22-20, each game only separated by two points.