Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Fazonchaz

Fazonchaz New Member

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

[MENTION=75565]nbonkowsky[/MENTION]

First of all your mate with the camera was very will ferrell-esk:D

I don't know what your coach was telling you but unbelievably you only played one overhead forehand clear in the entire match at 13:27 and it worked, got the shuttle completely behind your opponent. But due to this lack of variation your opponent was very comfortable pushing his base forward and playing you around.
    This also effected your ability to dominate front court because he was always too well positioned.

I saw you over committed a few times to net shots that were not really tight, nor did the player have to move much for them, therefore he just held the shuttle and pinged it over you, putting you in big trouble. Looked like you were trying to force controlling the net which is impossible in those circumstances(unless shot is mega tight.)

Your obviously a good player and I'm not knocking you but your tactics were really one dimensional.

3. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    The tactical/strategical side of the game has been one of my biggest weaknesses, I just haven't had the time to experience and learn it all through yet. Everything makes sense after the point but I notice it all to slow to change it in the rally. That's where its the hardest right now to change and work on, hopefully one day it will all click and that aspect of my game will go up.

As for shot quality, lots of the shots were not the best quality and quite often put me under more pressure than I needed. That's just where I need to practice them more under tournament situations, practice and tournaments have not transferred over into one smooth play yet for me as there is still a noticeable difference in the two when I play.

Hopefully time and experience will help that.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

From what I gather even some of the top Chinese players need properly coached throughout the game and only some can play well coachless.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nick.

What I see is a limitation of being able to change the game. Your movement is very one paced and as mentioned, has limited variation. I don't see you constructing a rally to make a stroke move to give yourself an advantageous position. I don't see you adapting to changes of pace. For instance, early in the match, you played a couple of backhand clears and the opponent jumped to smash. Ok, personally, i dont think that's a problem if you haven't played him before. However, in subsequent similar situations, your movement doesn't give the impression you have learnt about his ability and adapted your speed of movement accordingly.

I don't see you changing a game so that you control the pace.

Your movement looks very much like a ordinary training routine. Hit to point A, run to point B, hit to point C, run to D, but doing it without much purpose nor having change of pace. It seems like you are waiting for him to make mistakes but you are not giving him the appropriate amount of pressure either physically nor tactically.

Granted he is a better player but I guess you are disappointed you couldn't make him work harder.

6. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    That's where I am stuck at right now, I simply do not know how to challenge these guys pace, tactics/strategy wise its something that I simply am not able to do.

The toughest part is trying to learn all this, somebody can tell me it and I can watch it and understand it but then when it comes to a game I simply am not able to bring it out and go for it which is why these guys will walk all over me. My game is very 1 dimensional its the same speed and pace the whole time through not much variation. The brutal part is knowing this while its happening and for whatever reason not changing it.

It is just me having a hard time trying to change and implement all these other aspects into it and that is honestly one of the biggest things that I am lacking. Its just the how do I make myself do it that is the hard part, I know that I need to and everything but its a mental thing right now more than anything.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I can only draw upon my own experience of my training under one coach. He was a former top 20 singles player. We worked a lot on movement, footwork and balance. In particular, rhythm and changing pace of movement from one corner to another corner was something I found particularly interesting. So firstly, are you really able to practice that with your coach?

Secondly, when you train with training partners, are you really incorporating those techniques properly into your training? Quite possibly not. As I remarked, your rallies seem to be more like training routines that practice consistency of multiple shuttle runs rather than that which simulate game conditions.

Just to give a little example, about ten years ago, I was watching the practice courts of the HK Open and it happened to be the Canadian team. I saw one girl do her practice needing to play the netshot, then move back and hit the smash. To cut a long story short, I felt she was practicing with an incorrect positioning on the court. Thus , it was comprising the quality of the practice. I came away thinking, a) why is she practicing it incorrectly?, and b) why didn't her practice partners correct her?

Thirdly, access to the appropriate coaching advice is always a consideration. Can that coach effect the change in you? For instance, one of the last things we worked upon was using core muscles to pull my upper body faster forward for the low shots. Small difference in using the body but a significant resultant difference on the movement. Can your coach pick up those details in you and effect the change? That is probably the toughest part for you in your locality.

8. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Just a bit of watching for anyone who wants to.

I'm near side in the black, new toy (camera) to play with and i'm checking out the angles it makes!

[video=youtube;_03WKN6VjRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_03WKN6VjRQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

9. betazone

betazone Regular Member

These are my observations, hope you don't mind the directness
    1) your technique of hitting the shuttle is incorrect. it is too easy to read your shots because you are not using your wrist power and finger power. It seems to be your are relying on your arm swing power.
    The other drawback of your technique is lack of power. It is very obvious your power generation is one two notch lower than your opponent. For power smashes, your whole body and core must be rotated in one "violent" movement - it's not shown in your movement.
    2) because of 1) above, you cannot use the technique of hold n hit or using your wrist to change angle/length of shot. In short, there is no deception and Deception is Everything in singles.
    3) because of 3) above, you are not controlling the rally, and get moved around chasing the shuttle
    4) some of the key tactical questions are - why is he able to push you to do backhand clears so many times?
    5) why do you always do drop shots or smashes when he can easily defend and get you in trouble?
    6) do you know what is your greatest strength/weakness ? before you step on court, do you have a game plan, and if that doesn't work what is your plan B and C ?
    7) lastly, do not rush .....slow down. This is especially true when you are in a bad spell or your opponent suddenly gotten a run of points. Walk around the court, ask for change of shuttle, wipe and flick your sweat etc. You get the hint?

Do not give up, you are already a victor by stepping on court. Press on! Train hard but SMART !!:)

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

The first impression I get from watching this match: Why the heck is he trying to speed up the game so often!?

Your strengths: Fast, agile player, solid shots, good clearing and dropping. Solid defense after baseline smashes.

Weaknesses: Flat game, power smash.

Based on these observations, your tactic should be clear: Slow down the pace of the game.

If you have to clear, try to get it long and high enough to have time to cover the court. Very often, you play flat, fast clears that get intercepted and smashed. In drive-play, you're lost (he's good at that...). You should try to play soft net shots, slower (and long enough) clears. Solid shots that give you time and possibilities to profit from your good footwork and stamina. In flat, fast exchanges, you're lost.
    You can't overpower your opponents (your fast game isn't good enough!), but you can wear them out, give them opportunities to make mistakes. To me, you're clearly a defensive player. Rely on these strengths! Slow down the pace (in between rallies too, by the way...).

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    DuckFeet smash 1: http://youtu.be/q0WDzV312ho
    DuckFeet smash 2: http://youtu.be/c0X96AwLt50

Just a couple of very quick smash videos. I'm still moving backwards, robbing me of power. I think I reach better in 1. I am too curled up after my shot as well.

Love that sound of Zymax and empty hall :) shame It's not feathers.

12. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    So loud in a empty hall :0 ever heard bg 80 at a empty place? It's louder (; well when I smash anyways

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Looks essentially right to me. :) I like how relaxed the stroke is, and I like that you're following through rather than using a "clippy" or "wristy" technique.

You could reduce the length of the follow-through, however. At the moment you're following through behind your body quite a lot. Try reducing your follow through so that the racket head does not go past your body -- or at least, not far past it.

Along similar lines, you might try reducing the amount of rotation in your stroke. I'm thinking of where the torso is pointing after your stroke -- it looks like your right shoulder is quite far forwards and your body is "facing" to the left a lot. Maybe reduce this a bit. This is probably connected to your long follow-through.

#2133 Gollum, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Well... he is playing with plastic, which we know requires significantly more punching thru, as opposed to feather which requires a more crisp compact action.

Having said that, yes he is overdoing the following thru a bit, to the point where it will definitely affect recovery for the next shot.

#2134 visor, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm. To me, a smash is a smash. Shouldn't matter whether it's feather or plastic...on other shots, the difference in shuttles will come into play, but a full smash should always look the same.
    [MENTION=96435]DuckFeet[/MENTION]: try to get your power more from rotating your body rather than just coiling it forward. Will help you get more power as well as better stability and recovery. Look at Jung Jae Sung's smash for clarification, if needed....or Ahsan's, although he overdoes it a bit :D

16. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Possibly he's also not using enough forearm pronation... If he did, he wouldn't have to follow thru forward as much.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Love those non regulation net posts... have you ever intentionally tried aiming at them so that the shuttle would ricochet off them into the opponent's court? :p

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    For both smashes? I went LJB style with the black one but for the blue one just threw my arm directly upwards and 'popped' the pronation. Probably why there's only a little skip and not a full step forward with my effort to get my weight behind it. I appreciate the feedback.

And I can't sleep so I'm going to take a look at trinh's video :) not suggesting it will send me to sleep, its just preferable to starting that racquet restring. Yes I've had a couple of ciders...

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Some nice rallies. Is it me or is that ceiling a little low?