Singapore Idol wins first Asian Idol contest

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In badminton, we are always hoping for an upset against the stronger badminton powerhouses, but usually fail. A case in point is the recent SEA Games when we took home silvers at best.

But in the arts and entertainment world, such as the Asian Idol which patterns after the hugely popular American Idol series, Singapore recently caused a shock win!

Yesterday being a public holiday, I was sitting at home to watch the Asian Idol replay from 4.30 pm which ended around 8 pm. It was worth it to see the best in Asia parading their wares in the electrifing atmosphere of the indoor stadium in Jakarta, attended by some 5,000 fans and supporters of their various idols.

Against all odds, our own Singapore Idol, Hady Mirza, came out tops to become the first Asian Idol, beating favourites from host Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam and India. Each contestant had to sing a song in English and another in their national language.

In terms of powerful voices I would rank Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines as the leaders of the pack.

Miss Vietnam Idol was the most elegant and beautiful and Mr Indonesia Idol was the most popular on home ground and was expected to win, even surpassing Miss Malaysia Idol who had the best voice.

Miss Philippines Idol delighted me with her national dress, the rich red high sleeves et all, but she was a little short on the high notes. Mr India, while being young and versatile, sang an Indian number which did not endear with the audience.

But Mr Singapore Idol, Hady, though lacking a powerful voice but not lacking in singing and entertainment talent, started off in a locally composed Malay number "Surrender". This Malay song resonated with the audience and many more watching at home who are familiar with the Malay and Indonesian languages.

So when the results were announced in the late of the night, 24 hours being given to voters via sms, it was not without reason that Hady was chosen as the first Asian Idol.

Hady is young at 27, attractive especially to the female viewers, talented and versatile in both English and Malay songs. It was revealed that all the home-grown idols got more or less the same percentage of votes from their own country but as the rules required the voter to choose two names, Hady was the other "outside" overwheming favourite!

One reason went that Hady was also given the vote because he was the least threatening to the respective country idols. But I like to think that Hady has that "X" factor which compensated his other shortcomings.

Whatever, this upset win is most welcome and Singapore is proud of Hady for being chosen the first Asian Idol. :):):)

#1 Loh, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i think hady was the cutest one. all of them have their own weaknesses and strengths. my mom choose the philipines singer because she got a powerful voice but i had always suspected that the person with most charisma will win. idol have always been not about the best singer but the one who captured the audiences' hearts. and i thought hadi was the cutest one. i was so spot on. hahahahaha :D

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hady is definately good looking.. if he didnt win.. i think India will probably win. It was really an upset really. But then... this is suppose to be an IDOL contest.. not singing contest. Hady was like telling to other participants on stage if It was REALLY HIM who won? Congrats.. he did won.

4. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Interesting and unexpected win indeed!

I did not follow any of the local Idols or Asian Idols, but I was reading this article on newspaper about why Hady could have won.

It is said that the favourites are the Indonesian, Malaysia and Philippines' candidate. Because of the mass population there is, it would be a tight fight there.

The theory goes since each voter is asked to cast 2 votes each, it is expected that the voter would root for their local idol, plus one more that is not going to threaten their local idol chance of winning.

Hence an Indonesian supporter would likely to cast 1 vote for the Indonesian Idol and 1 vote for other than the Malaysian and the Philippines's Idols. And vice versa for the Malaysia and Philippines voters.

This is where Hady is said to have picked up many unexpected votes from this so called "second vote" and go on to win the contest.

A very interesting theory where such system of voting can turn up such unexpected result!

5. ants

ants Regular Member

I think Hady got alot 2nd votes from Indonesia. But then its just my assumption.

6. justin-terbalik

justin-terbalik Regular Member

Student
    you know..what, most people who vote for reality shows are women in percentage, Since Hady is most handsome and cute among the others male contestant...so the girls always pick on the cute one(i m not saying hady don't have talent)..in reality shows it always come with package..good looking + vocal, that's why i never become justin timberlake and instead become justin terbalik. :D

congrats Hady

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

too bad malaysia`s representatives Jaclyn Victor didnt win...:crying::crying::D

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ...and from Malaysian ladies as well...:)

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Spot on! That is so true: win over the female voters and you're almost guaranteed a victory :D. Happened to catch some Singapore idols when I was there and to be honest they were terrible :p.

#9 demolidor, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  10. ants

ants Regular Member

The 2nd Vote actually decide the winner. I read from the newspaper from Indonesia that after the event. The so called researchers found out that most people voted Hady(2nd Vote) reason simply because he was the safest choice not to win the Asian Idol. Putting 2nd vote on the Philippino or Malaysian would definately lessen the chance of the Indonesian in winning. But everyone was wrong. Even the judges was dissapointed on the result. Well its the voters who votes.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    So Singapore has the last laugh! :D:D:D
    The strategy of others backfired to Singapore's advantage.
    But remember the Singapore Idol has gone through a long and hard season before becoming a champion himself! :cool:

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Yeah... Singapore had the last laugh. Not only SIngapore Idol have gone thru long hard season, all the other Idols too.

13. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    they criticise on the way she hold the microphone.what a?
    her voice is really something.but for me,she cant still beat my siti.

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    We have our very own Eurovision now then.

15. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

how's this different from Asia Bagus show? you guys still remember that old show? ;)

16. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Najibbbbbbb and his lovely Japanese co-host, what's her name again - Yoko?

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Coincidently, Najib is also a Singapore Idol in his own right and I think he now plys his wares in Malaysia too. :cool:

18. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    yep, i have seen najib on free tv. he is hosting this kids' programme called "keletahnya dia"..which is like kids says the darnest things..:)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Winner of the Asian Idol Contest 2007: Najib Hady

Could someone please post Najib Hady's winning song(s) in youtube, and then inform us@Badminton Central of it?

Just curious.
    :):):)

#19 chris-ccc, Jan 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think you are referring to Hady Mirza, the Singapore Idol who won the Asian Idol contest recently.

Najib is another Malay TV personality, older than Hady, a comedian, a presenter, a singer, etc, who is talented in hosting shows and being able to connect with the audience. :D