Peter GADE

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. victory

victory Regular Member

A lot of badminton players in china don't stay in the national team until 30 years old because they have very good junior players able to replace them. I agree training system in China is very intensive but not necessarily rigid. In fact, china has the best coaches team and system in the world. They know how to train and protect senior players. The best example is Zhang Ning, she was retain again and again even after 30 years old because she is SO GOOD. LYB wanted her to stay. She has training and back up system that tailored for her. For example massage and physical therapy that are tailored made for her. The result? She was able to keep training hard and keep winning. She even won OG gold medal! Another example is FU/Chai they are about 30 now. They keep playing because no juniors are able to replace them yet.

So training is not the issue. The issue is IF LD IS NEEDED in Chinese team. If LYB and chinese coaches decide LD is valuable, they will let him stay and do whatever it takes to help LD to prolong his career. In fact, LD himself said he has high respect towards PG and wants to emulate him in regards to keep playing well over 30. But whether he will actually do it is to be seen later because it is not just his own decision. In China the coaches will always have a say in a player's career.

Whatever it is , LD is transforming for a attacking player to a control player now. This is the path that PG has taken a few years back.

2. victory

victory Regular Member

Wow! you should see those videos when PG was at his prime. Try to see how he played Dong Jiong in the late 90s. Don Jiong 's smashes is no less deadly than LD. Dong Jiong is a speed and power player. Anyway , it is hard to argue if PD's attacking can match LD's , when PG is at the younger age.

I think you are right PG only win one match against LCW. Firstly, PG is older. Secondly, I think PG can not match LCW's speed and court coverage. LCW is SO agile on court. You can play a tactically sound game but if your opponent can keep returning the shuttle, then you either make mistakes at the end or get worn down.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    PG still has one of the most lethal cross-court drops in the game. :D
    He used to catch a Taufik out 12 years ago with his drops and his steep leaping, finishing smashes; he still does! :D
    Some of his matches against Taufik are really unforgettable.

Its only very recently (like maybe the past 6-12 months) that his age has finally begun to catch up with him noticably. But that does not take away anything from his court-craft, or his understanding or reading of how the point develops. He is still up there with the very best.

Many other players have been aorund for 5-6 years, maybe more; they have drifted in and out of the top 10. This man has remained in the top 5 for longer than others have played pro, with very brief drops below, but never out of the top 10. Peter has maintained these exceedingly high standards for maybe 15 years! That in any sport, is an awesome achievement. In badminton, it is nothing short of inhuman.

4. victory

victory Regular Member

I couldn't agree more. I salute Peter Gade.

In this sport, there are good players and there are legends.

In my humble opinion, Lin Dan , Lee Chong Wei, Peter Gade and Taufik are modern badminton legends.

5. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Even Lin Dan contiues to salute PG in his latest interview by media, esp his fighting spirit:
    http://www.badmintoncn.com/view-13682-1.html

佩服盖德,在乎坚持的意义  在男单的领奖台上,林丹身旁分别站着李宗伟和盖德。半决赛,林丹先失一局后逆转盖德进入决赛。这场失利,将丹麦老将最后一次问鼎世界冠军的希望打碎。75分钟的比赛,几乎超出了盖德的极限,赛后接受采访时,他一直呼哧呼哧地喘个不停。
      盖德是林丹最敬佩的运动员,“我觉得他现在真的是在享受羽毛球。三、四年前跟他交手时,我能隐约感觉到,他每一次都在争胜,不太承认另一个时代的中国运动员要超过他。现在,他承认自己的精力状态不能和10年前鼎盛时期相比,但他依然想尽一切办法去战胜林丹、李宗伟、陶菲克。每当他获胜时,他都非常开心。这种心态让他坚持到了35岁,甚至将来坚持更长的时间。”
      林丹希望自己也能像盖德一样,为更多的中国运动员树立榜样,这也是林丹在夺得奥运会冠军后依旧坚持的重要原因。“盖德能够打到35岁,你就能看到希望。如果林丹能打到35岁,可能更多的中国年轻运动员就可以像林丹一样,打的时间更长。”
      所以,林丹并不看重自己坚持的结果怎样,更重要的是为了坚持的意义。
      盖德能够坚持到现在,林丹也承认,中国与丹麦的环境并不相同。“丹麦的压力不是特别大,参赛是因为他喜欢,这样很轻松。相比之下,国内的运动员更加辛苦。一、两次甚至半年的状态不好,这本来是很正常的事情,可是媒体和外界就会让一个很简单的事情变得很复杂。中国运动员很早就退役,就是因为有太大的压力。”
      林丹笑称,如果是在中国,盖德也许早就打不下去了。而林丹除了去适应,别无办法,“不要太关注别人怎么评价你,知道自己已经很努力就可以了。”

6. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    hmm.. maybe u're right.. maybe since no matter what PG do, LCW can return his attack.. he lost a way to keep 'pressuring' LCW?

7. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    I never watch PG at his prime, bcoz back then, I only know him as the European's King of Badminton.. do u have the online video for that one? :)

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

In case you didn't know he was badly injured in 2001/2. That is what forced him to play a less physical, more tactical game in the first place. He might have anyway as age would catch up eventually but who knows if he never had that injury he might have already retired in 2008 as originally planned. But he stayed on untill a successor was ready/in sight which in the first place should be Jorgensen (with HKV and Axelsen following suit) so London seems like as good a place and time to call it a career.

#108 demolidor, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  9. victory

victory Regular Member

Unfortunately neither do I have his video.:)

10. iSeVeN_Ultimate

iSeVeN_Ultimate Regular Member

Student
    i'm so excited to see his match.
    he was 35 but his play is so smart.
    his power is worst around world top 10 but he forced his opponent to play a long rally and forced his opponent to make a mistake.
    his figthing spirit is still high.
    i think he can stay in world top 5 but is too hard to beat LCW, LD, CL, and CJ.

11. victory

victory Regular Member

Peter Gade still maintain very high standard. It is hard for him to beat LCW and LD. But Chen Jin and Chen Long is till beatable especially CJ. CJ's form is dropping even at relatively young age mainly due to back injury.

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

All the best to peter gade in japan:)

#112 george@chongwei, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  13. iSeVeN_Ultimate

iSeVeN_Ultimate Regular Member

Student
    peter's performance is consistent (final india open, semifinal indonesia open, semifinal WC, semifinal china master) if his performance still consistent like this min. he will stay at toup 5.
    i think it's too hard to win japan open for peter because LCW, LD, CL will participate too.

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Badminton’s Peter the Great

By Emzi Regala – – October 10, 2011

Peter Gade’s long and illustrious career defines some of the most inspiring badminton moments shared by fans all over the world. 17 years since first stepping into the world podium, Peter defies borders and he continue to dazzle up there among the brightest stars badminton is very lucky to be graced with. Emzi Regala, Badzine correspondent in Japan, met with Peter Gade, just days before his home event in Denmark.
    By Emzi Regala, Badzine Correspondent in Tokyo. Photos by Badmintonphoto/Patrick Bontant for Solibad.

Continued: http://www.badzine.net/features/badminton’s-peter-the-great/16807/

15. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    PHG at two months short of 35 years of age played very, very well in his SF match against LCW in the 2011 Yonex Denmark Open losing out 19-21, 21-23.
    Indeed in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] game, PHG clawed back from 12-14 to 14-14, and went into the lead from 15-14 to game point at 20-17 and another game point at 21-20.
    However, he just couldn’t convert and LCW had the composure and calmness in a crisis to level at 21 all and then won the next 2 points to win at 23-21.
    It was a difficult match for LCW and PHG got a standing ovation from the crowd.
    I salute PHG for an outstanding performance in perhaps his last match in Denmark and he gave his best.
    What a great sportsman and a great ambassador for badminton.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  17. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    PHG (S4) bowed out in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round of the Yonex Badminton French Open 2011when he lost in 3 games 19-21, 21-19, 17-21 to the unseeded Hu Yun of Hong Kong in 1hour and 10 minutes.This is one of his earliest exits in a SS tournament and it could be a sign that he has played too much in too many countries of different time zones and it is not easy for a body 2 months short of 35 years of age.However, compared with TH, PHG has done better as TH has been losing very early in many tournaments.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It was probably an energy-sapping experience at the Denmark Open for Peter just last week. Playing his heart out in front of his home crowd. I think he just ran out of gas here at the FO. The DO and FO are always too immediate in the SS schedule. I'm sure he will come back strongly if he gets some time off for R&R. :)

19. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I agree.
    PHG does not give up easily and he always gives his best.

20. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I don't think this loss means anything, except he probably had a bad day or Hu Yun had a great day, or some combination of both. Even Chen Long lost to Kevin Cordon and Lin Dan to Wong Wing Ki. If not for Peter Gade, China probably for sure have 3 places in the Olympics, now they have to work for it! Makes me want to see what's going to happen in every event and Peter is still my favorite player!