Stringing crosses higher?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by TimothyHsu, May 7, 2013.

1. Guillaumeg

Guillaumeg Regular Member

Agreed,

Stringing BG65 (even BG80)at 24lbs...after a week or two it will drop to max 22,5lbs. This implies that 80% of the time you will play with tension much lower then the requested one.

So get to know your clients and make some tiny variations until the feel is good for them.(best thing would be: don't tell them the tension so they are not biased by numbers, only the feel...but this can only be done with closer relatives) Then you must be able to reproduce the good feel over and over (keep sort of a "string-diary")

e.g. I string at 13kg to end up with 11,5-12kg, tension loss is inevitable with thicker strings...
    That is why I prefer to say "I'll string it a little bit tighter to play 80% of the time with the desired tension".

2. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Just strung a new Yonex VT-70, it was 20.1cm wide (at the last visible tube in the middle).Using a Stringway where the recommendation is to string the cross at +0.5kg (~+1lbs).

I did the mains at 10.5kg (~23lbs), after the mains, the body was 20.6cm wide.

Strung the crosses at 11kg (~24lbs), and the body was 20.1cm wide again. So this works for me...

If I should call this a 10.5kg or a 11kg job.... When people ask for 10.5 I do a 10.5/11. Most clients say it's feels harder than they are used to but that could also be the string, the constant pull, or the other stringer (or me ;)

3. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I used to string 28,5-31 lbs (13-14 kg) for over 3 years. I read the pros and cons about 10% extra on crosses and thought that because of the friction and the fact that the cross strings actually tightens the mains a little, you should use +10 % on the crosses.
    Last time I heard someone saying, that the mains should be higher since they are longer than cross strings. So now I think that, since the cross strings actually tightens the mains, I use the same on crosses and mains.
    Furthermore, when stringing +10%, I see that my rackethead is just a little smaller compared to same amount of pounds.
    It all comes down to preference. I always used +10%. But since I last compared 28,5/31 with 30/30 I find the latter better in terms of feel. So now I always use the same for mains and crosses. Just try it out for yourself and go with the prefered method.

4. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the first cross seems like it was placed incorrectly causing a "diagonal" cross. :)

5. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    It is perfectly logically to add ~10% when stringing the crosses.

The extra tension is neutralized by friction on the mains. Stringing the crosses at tension exactly as the mains will almost guarantee you the crosses have lower tension than the mains, which you may risk deformatting of the racket frame.

Among the popular stringing methods, the Yonex's 2-piece method and the Victor's 1-piece method, state that you should add 2lbs/~10% to crosses, this extra 10% is referring to the "base tension (100%)" of mains.

That being said, if client asks for 24lbs, you should string 24x26. Not 24x24, 23x25, 22x24 and any other combinations. I would say this is pretty standard.

Everything has exception. The Gosen Haribito pattern does not require stringer to add extra lbs on crosses. But it is a more complicated stringing procedure, time consuming and economically inefficient.

6. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

I found the Gosen Haribito pattern to be quite easy and efficient in stringing. I found I could string a racquet just as fast with this pattern than a 2-piece bottom up pattern.

7. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    The Gosen Haribito method is more than the pattern itself.

The aim is to maintain frame shape as much as possible, at the same time maximize the sweet spot and minimize tension loss. It may sound easy, but when you factor in different tensions, strings and rackets, the possibilities become practically infinite. :eek:

8. iLondon

iLondon Regular Member

Student
    I have an Arc11, it's a 3U and my max tension is 24lb (according to my racket). I realise most Yonex rackets can withstand tensions much higher than this.
    But is it safe to say, I can safely ask my stringer to string 24x26 without worrying about my racket deforming?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Safe? With a competent stringer, absolutely - pros use them well past 30 lb.

Actionably safe? Not really - if the racket breaks above 24, Yonex can legally wash their hands of it (as long as they can prove it was used above 24, that is).

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It also depends on the condition of your racquet. Sometimes very fine cracks develop around grommet holes that may not always be visible.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    hi.

just wondering, is there a 5U racket which I can safely have it strung at 23x25 lbs? thanks.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I do one of my client's Arc FBs at 25/26, and that's two divisions lighter than 5U. The Arc 6 should be fine - I've never seen a racket fold at 25 that wasn't already broken.

(If you need even more assurance, Mogensen plays his Arc FB at 34/36:).)

13. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    Try Apacs Feather Weight 300, Weight: 75-77g (6U), Max Tension: 35 lbs.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks. Arc6 seems good. Better price than ArcFb. :D

15. aqua26

aqua26 Regular Member

Sports Shop Owner
    To be technically correct if some one ask you for 24lbs
    you should string at 22.85714286 x 25.14285714 which gives exactly 24lbs average.
    cross is exactly +10% higher than mains.

But if the client dose not know we have to educate him & then string.
    (You see many people do not care enough.)

16. atypical

atypical Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I agree with this. As a user, when I say I want 24lbs, I won't care how you do it, but the end result must be 24lbs. Of course, communication with your stringer is important here.

So 24x26 don't make sense to me.

I brought my Carlton X70 to be strung at 24lbs yesterday, they stringer did a 24x24. The frame became slightly rounded, just a bit shorter. I'm sure it's not the original shape anymore. And I'm sure the resultant tension is higher than 24lbs.

Also yesterday, my SOTX Woven 400 was strung at 22x23. I find the frame shape was still recognisable from its original that I know of. Maybe the strength of the frame is also a factor here ....

But now, after learning much from this forum, I don't think I want an AxA tension anymore. :)

#36 atypical, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

But that's the thing - the tensions don't average out.

If you pull the mains to 22 and then the crosses to 22, the mains will have to stretch, but the crosses won't. Thus you end up with 22+/22.

This is why I set the desired tension as my cross tension and remove 1-2 lb for the mains.

18. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Yes - that makes sense and how I explain it to the customer. Bottom line is customer service. Stick with your tensioning standard and adjust accordingly based on customer needs. All machines are different as well as patterns. Some patterns feel tighter than others even at same specific tensions.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i just want to point out that, this is not a study to balance a mathematical equation, at least not the way it is being discussed here. there are more variables and assumptions in the system that are being overlooked and ignored.

• firstly, the end result we really want as a stringer is to have a playable string bed. there are stringjobs that leaves the string feel dull and dead, and there are ones who makes it feel lively and repulsive. we want the lively one. even if you measure each string segment tension down to 20 decimal points etc etc but the string bed end up dull, i don't care. i care that the stringjob is lively and playable.
    • secondly, there seems to be an assumption that we want the final result to be main tension = cross tension by somehow compensating with different tension. why? who says main==cross is the gold standard? that sounds great and simple. but the racket is not symmetrical in shape so why must the tension?
    • different machine has different characteristics, different stringer flow also have different characteristics. i happen to have owned the OP's machine before i upgraded. and that machine and my 6004 produces a very different stringjob despite using similar flow. it turned out that on the ASE i can do main=cross and the racket was playable, in the 6004, i am now on cross=main*1.13 or so. different machine supports the racket differently and the end pillars also stretches differently so they must be compensated differently. the only person who know this best should be your stringer and without knowing the stringing machine, it is pointless to discuss how that should be done.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Not just this - modding a machine can change its characteristics.

I recently added some overgrip to my shoulder supports - to prevent the rackets turning and to protect their paint jobs - and did a 29/31 on an NR-ZS... it came out of the machine with only a ghost of a touch on the 12/6 supports, whereas without the support padding I would have needed an extra 0.5 lb on the crosses to avoid 12/6 compression.