Badminton England

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by lcleing, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mr.bulutangkis

mr.bulutangkis Regular Member

Bankier is very fast in front of the net, while Adcock has good drive

hey, will Adcock/Bankier has a chance come to OG?
    will be ENGLAND or GREAT BRITAIN in Olympic Games?

previously, I know another SCO/ENG pair is quite good, Robert Blair / Gabrielle White?
    where are they? why did not they come to this WC?

so, GBR has 3 strong XD pair right now

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

At least adcock and bankier made british badminton some name after securing a silver medal in the WC

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Surprise pair/players of the 2011 WC for sure..

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Their weakness has been spotted!

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Blair couldn't play, as he switched his nationality back to Scotland. He will be back at the next SS event with White. The best two pairs are Blair/White and Adcock/Bankier, although Blair/White have the advantage in the H2H records. Robertson and Wallwork are a distant third, Robertson is passed it, and Wallwork doesn't have great anticipation at the net (not the same levels as White, and nowhere near as good as Bankier)

Actually Blair/Bankier did used to play together, they played well, are were regulars in the QF of SS events, why were they split up ? You will have to ask Robertson that...

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Badminton boss Adrian Christy defends Worlds preparation

Badminton England chief executive Adrian Christy says results at the World Championships at Wembley are not down to inadequate preparation.
    Top player Nathan Robertson made some seemingly critical comments on Twitter about Badminton England after losing his first-round mixed doubles match on Tuesday night with partner Jenny Wallwork.
    But Christy claims preparations for the event were "fabulous" and that the sport is moving in the "right direction".

VIDEO:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/badminton/14484311.stm

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Must be this one

"Today's quote " World class performance needs world class support " average treatment gets an average outcome. End quote......."

"My quote of the day has Nothing to do with the crowd last night, thought they were great. Shame we couldn't give them more to support."

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

^Robertson is stuck in a timewarp, he still seems to think it's 2005 and he is still a world class player. He needs to wake up from fantasy land and get back to reality. After all it's now 2011. He is average nowadays, and he uses his Olympic medal as an excuse to pick and change other partnerships, so that ultimately he is in the best position.

Step aside, your glory is over, quit now while you still have some dignity. Even Clark is a better XD player than Robertson nowadays.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Or work harder...

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Strange comments from BE chiif exec in BBC interview:

Firstly he should be dissappointed with Robertson who lost in first round then criticised the English preparation, this is after the whole Robertson/Blair/Wood episode last year that cost BE a coach and a player.

Secondly, yes they came is as number 8, but lost in first match and are down to 11 now in rankings, so yes, they are some way off top. "They can't peak at every event", well no, but its the worlds so that's sort of the point...you peak for it...like Adcock/Bankier did. I don't know whether Robertson had a point or not but this poor attempt at pleasing everyone makes no sense.

Ouseph- yes he had a tough draw, he's never taken a game off Gade. But to try and say he has plenty of years now just turning 26 makes no sense, you could just as easy point to Gade being world number 1 at 21 or Axelesen already beating top players as a junior.

And finally his maths needs some work, even if the worlds continues to be held in all non-olympic years (which is debatable) to play another " probably got three Olympic Games and another 10 World Championships in him" makes him turning 39 by the last worlds by my maths!!!!

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    A brief article I wrote for my website about England rankings:
    Here’s a look at how England currently fair in the world rankings.

Mens Singles

33. Rajiv Ouseph 76. Carl Baxter 133. Ben Beckham

The top 2 have been much higher but have spent most of this year at Superseries events and Worlds, and some tough first round draws have seen them plummet in the rankings. More and more countries compete for the top 50, but Denmark have 4 players above our number 1 and in total 6 in the top 50. As always toughest discipline to make progress in.

Ladies Singles

39. Liz Cann 101. Nicola Cerfontyne 123. Sarah Walker

A good first round win for Liz at the worlds but she will need to be back to her best form to have any chance of catching Susan Egelstaff (SCOT) in the olympic race. A lack of depth in womens singles has been a problem for England for years at all levels.

Mens Doubles

20. Adcock/Ellis 33. Ellis/Mills 34. Langridge /Clark

New pair Langridge/Clark still only have 9 events so whatever they do in their next event should see them overtake Ellis/Mills. The experienced Clark will be hoping to overtake the other pairs and make the olympics. Traditionally strong event for England but new pairs need time to climb rankings.

Womens Doubles

24. Agathangelou/Olver 32. Wallwork/White 63. Langley/Smith

Langley/Smith took advantage of their wildcard to reach second round of worlds and rocket up the rankings. As yet these womens pairs don’t seem able to match the Asian pairs, Japan is the new powerhouse of WD with 4 top 15 pairs.

Mixed Doubles

11. Robs/Wallwork 16. Adcock/Bankier 26. Blair/White

Always England’s strongest event, could be a close battle for the top spot after Adcock/Bankier’s terrific World Silver. Blair/White don’t seem to be on great form and were unable to play the worlds due to nationality issues but are also a world class pair on their day.

Overview

The current world rankings must represent a recent lowspot for England. However, I don’t think England are as far behind as the rankings suggest. Many singles players have been chasing the big points in the Superseries and Grand Prix, when the slightly lower European events come round they should win more matches.

Countries such as India, Spain, Germany, Japan, Singapore and Eastern Europe are pushing for the top where they haven’t regularly been in the past, making the task even tougher for anyone wanting to make it as a world class player.

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Ouseph lost at the China Masters first round today, as I feared he would, to the excellant Kashyap. Kashyap is a good draw for first round at a SS! Next week Ouseph faces LCW first round, which with respect, barring injury is a 100/1 shotof winning. Ouspeh's ranking is going into freefall, from an overachieving high of 11 last year down to 33, and on results in the olympic qualifying period so far he probably would be outside top 50. Apart from the tough draws in SS he has lost to a couple of low ranked players at US and Thailand, I think some easier events are needed to rebuild his confidence and ranking. I think BE have run both him and Baxter down the rankings by playing too many SS and GP

Axelsen although ranked just above Ouseph played Kharkov Open and then plays Japan SS keeping a balance between winnable events and big points events.

14. dunmoreken

dunmoreken New Member

England in world rankings?

England's strongest event and you list two Scottish players - well we'll conveniently forget that, eh. Current results in China would suggest that Engalnd on their own would struggle in world mixed.

15. policecop

policecop Regular Member

So Blair and White ease past the pair that knocked our 'top' pair out in straight games. Adcock/Bankier defeat the 4th seeds, you almost expect it now. Olympic qualification for the mixed could get interesting these next few months.

16. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I support Scottish equally as I would English, most English people do , I don't see a distinction or rivalry. I followed Blair from when he "became" English and trained at Mk all those years, I think it's a pity he was forced back to Scotland, purely because his level is likely to suffer from not being at Mk. I also mentioned Susan who is Scottish.

17. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    And when I say England strongest event I mean in recent history at world class level: ponting, archer, hunt, Clark, Robertson, Goode, Emma, kellogg , blair, etc, all world class playing for England

#77 dlp, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  18. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I mean Emms ! :)

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Actually although Robertson/Wallwork are "#1" ranked, we all know, that they could quite easily be as low as #4, but definitely #3 (behind CA/IB, RB/GW)

Just wait till December, NR/JW ranking will fall outside the 20. They are going to lose more than 10000 points. Whereas CA/IB and RB/GW shall be gaining in points in contrast.

Therefore, providing there are no injuries or team orders (yes they do exist within BE(and especially for Robertson)) then the OG spot for XD is a fight between CA/IB and RB/GW.

20. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think the 3 mixed pairs are pretty equal, but yes on form NW/JW are probably at 3. I don't believe there would be team orders within England team, and even if were they wouldn't be followed. Where as China have an objective of getting as many players as possible into the majors so may ask the no.1 to withdraw against the no.4. This helps the no.1 as they would rather have more compatriots in the major and may even benefit from future orders. England have almost no chance of qualifying even 2, unless CA/IB were up at something like 2 and NR/JW were at 9 orders would make no sense.