Laserfibre MS200TT Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Mar 18, 2005.

1. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Correct. don't remember the flavour..i took those photos about a month ago.

2. DarthHowie

each clamp can be adjusted to clamp tighter or looser. In the third pic, the left-most clamp has a screw which requires an Alan Key to adjust the clamping strength. Hope that helps.

3. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Howie, do you feel that the badminton fixed clamps help you fit into spaces a little better, or would it make much of a difference?

Pete, what have you got for us this time?

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    They are a pair of mounting column upgrade.

5. DarthHowie

Fit into spaces any better? Probably not. Due to the design of the mounts, I only use my fixed clamps for the mains only and never the crosses because the gaps betw teeth are too large for clamping. I use 3 fly clamps for the crosses.

The fixed clamps are nice since i can now properly use the yonex stringing pattern for the mains and my starting method doesn't require silentheart/LB's starting pin method.

6. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Anybody with a Stringway/Laserfibre machine doing badminton racquets may often it extremely inconvenient because the small weight only goes to 24lbs.

This makes proves inconvenient once you go past 19x21lbs since you can't add enough tension to the knots.

If you use two small weights, you will get a tension range from 14 lbs to 37lbs. Much more badminton friendly!

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, two small weights should work. I guess you tried it out already. Shouldn't two small weights add up 48 lbs?

8. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    No that's what I thought initially but I used a fish scale and found that two weights don't exactly double the tension.

This actually increases the accuracy of your tension since you're using one scale. I found that using the small and big weight together, the tension is about 0.25 - 0.5 lbs looser.

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Now I've got to figure out how to modify the mounting system to make it more secure and efficient to mount. Especially for the 12 o'clock of the racquet, not too happy the amount of contact (using the throat column).

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The big/small weight combo requires double pulls per string to get less variation.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Eh, are you using two head plates?

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    No I'm using the "reverse" method Stringway suggests. It's mostly well. At least my racquets have always turned out in great shape and no breakages or cracks.

I have tried using two head plates and I actually like what I'm using now more. However, I don't like how much of a pain it is to mount the damn racquet.

With the rod stationed, instead of being part of what's screwing in, and a metal "screw-down-part", one could easily just spin it down all the way and just tighten a bit at the end and it would take about a third of the time. I would also like to double the length of the hold down area (about as long as a Yonex flying clamp).

13. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    No, I mean under a fish scale, it's consistently 0.25 -0.50 lbs looser than using just the small weight for the exact same tension.

14. stringtechno

stringtechno Regular Member

engineer
    2 small weights.

Hi Guys,
    Have not been here for quite a while but we are very interested to hear any new ideas that we can "build" into our machines.

About the 2 small weights:
    The tension is 10 lbs when only the bar is on the system. So if you use 2 weights you have to deduct 10 lbs from twice the value.

A replacement for the screw at the throat plate is on our list to replace it by a fast clamp system.
    We used that before on our EM500's.
    We want to offer the system as an accessory and we are not yet satisfied with the solutions that we made.

What do you think about such a chance?

Because we build the fast clamping system into the hold down piece it will be easy to solve 2 issues in one time.

15. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    stringtechno, it's awesome you have joined us. Is this Fred by any chance? If I'm mistaken, I apologize.

Ok, it was so simple why two weights didn't mean double the tension. Thanks for explaining.

Regarding the weight system, I would advise in the future, to have an etched tension bar. The ruler is a hassle, especially if you believe in proportional stringing like I do and have to change the tension every few strings. I mark the tension bar with a sharpie, but it fades from the weight sliding and I have to mark it again and again.

Do you have any sketches/pictures of the fast clamp systems?

If I understand what you mean by "fast clamp" that would be something like what we see on the Prince Neos 1000, Victor C-7030? That would be godsend.

I have ordered two ML100s for my coach but he has never really transitioned into it from his old machine because he finds the mounting too inefficient. I think the fast clamping would help. Also he likes his old machine because there's a knob at the back for small adjustments moving the hold-down piece forwards and backwards. That way he rarely has to re-adjust the columns themselves since he only does badminton.

Also, it's minor but I think it would be a nice addition if in the future, the clamp down pieces had some sort of padding so that it's both easier on the paint and also prevents some racquet slipping and sliding. A lot of us have had to use pieces of grip tape and it's more time spent, a bit of a hassle, and gets in the way a little. These little details really show how well thought out the product is.

#215 fishmilk, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  16. stringtechno

engineer
    Hi fishmilk,

You can call me Fred my wife does that also.

Hereby some answers:
    * The tool that we think off has the same kind of clamping system as the Neos. So you push the holddown piece down and you switch a handle on an eccentric.
    The difference is that we want it to be accessory so that we can supply it to everybody who has a machine.
    This means that the clamping system is in the hold down piece and you screw a smooth pin in the thread on the machine.

About the bar: We make this like this since 1985 and you will understand that we get the question about the scale on the bar more often.
    The reasons that we do not offer that are the following:
    - It is very expensive to get a good looking scale on the round bar. (perhaps not in China but it is in the Netherlands where we manufacture)
    - There have to be 3 scales so the figures will be quite small.

So I am afraid that we are not going to change this.

Of course it is easy to make a soft surface on the clampdown piece if we are going to make that.

Stringtechno

17. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Fred,

I understand why it can't be exactly like the Neos, because you want it to be an accessory and that's an excellent idea. However, what I don't understand is how a smooth pin will keep pressure on the hold-down piece. As long as it's fast though, and will do the job, I'm definitely not complaining.

About the bar, if getting it engraved is not a possibility. It would be nice to at least have a flat surface on the front and back so the users can mark the bar without having it smudge off.

Glad we agree on the soft surface, it's small but it matters.

18. stringtechno

engineer
    This is what I like about the forums, to communicate with users about improvements of the products, it is nice to tell the arguments behind a design:
    The question is: If you know how much it would cost to mill a flat side on the round bar you probably would not want it, that is not a 123 thing.

The neos pin is also smooth it work with a "swivelplate" that lock on the smooth pin because the clamping force works on a lever.

We used a complete fast clamp system on our EM500 the former electronic machine.

19. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I suppose if the cost is that high, then most people can live with the ruler. I will probably do something on my own one of these days to have a more permanent solution.

That would be one awesome accessory. I really hope you can put this into serious consideration. In fact, it would even be worth considering making something similar for tennis because to mount a racquet firmly, it really beats up your hand. I actually wear rubber gloves when I mount the racquet, but even then it's not pleasant, requires too much time and effort.

What is usually the time for a process like developing such an accessory and have it ready onto the market? (Although it sounds like it already has been developed and just needs to be tweaked)

I always like companies who listen to users when developing/redeveloping their products. There are many things that you won't notice until you've spent 100+ hours on a machine and most products won't be tested that extensively.

20. stringtechno

engineer
    When to develop new itemsA?

The issue that we have sometimes with the badminton world is that we think that we have a useful item, and that the badminton stringers are much less enthusiastic than we are.

Like with the cross stringers, which we sell very well for tennis, but part of the badminton world prefers to prove that they do not need it or that it would be too expensive. While we also received quite some requests for the badminton cross stringer.
    So it is difficult to judge if a certain development is worth the effort.

[​IMG]

This machine had the fast clamp system for the normal tennis support, but sales people preferred to have the normal screws so we went back to the screws. We still use the fast clamp system on our own machines because it is really much easier.

Don’t you think you tighten the knobs unnecessary tight, there is no use at all to over tighten them. They only have the task to hold the racquet down behind the supports.

I really appreciate our conversation but it is remarkable that nobody else feels any need to come in and while I think that there must be quite some SAW users who hate the clamping screw.

What do you think?

We developed a lot of products an learned that:
    - 90 % of the development is done in 90 % of the time.
    - The last 10 % of the development also costs 90 % of the time.

To develop until a product is 100 % ready takes much time, ofcourse this depends on the complexity of the product.
    But our T98 system, which does not look like a complex system, took more than 6 months and 7 different prototypes.