Glasses vs Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by May, Apr 6, 2001.

1. seethoe

seethoe Regular Member

Manager
    i just saw my friend's eye contact drop during a game this week...and i was just thinking of getting one.... now i'm not sure to get one or not...

2. ssertere

ssertere Regular Member

he..he.. same as above... i always use contact and never lost it (maybe because my eyes are small :) ).
    Sometimes not really comfortable, but it much better that using glasses. The glasses is easier to drop or moved or covered by sweat.

3. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

ya...the main problem wearing glass is hard to clear the sweat...everytime have to take the glass down and sweap over the sweat and need to wear it back....zzzzzz.....

so did any professional player wearing contact lens playing ?? like LD , Lee CW and etc...

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...i didnt wear glass(off court i did)on court...no problem to me...only the light will effect me

5. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

player with far-sighted

any advise for players who are short-signted turned to far-sighted? :crying:

is it advisable to wear biofocal glasses... or just short-sighted glasses but playing with manually adjustment of the glasses up and down?? :confused:

6. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Prescription glasses or contact lense during badminton

Hi all,

A. Do you wear prescription glasses or contact lense when placing badminton?

Glasses:
    1. Does you glasses fly off in a vigorous game?
    2. Are there disadvantage/limitation when wearing glass to play?
    3. Can you see Birdy coming straight down?
    4. What are the pros for glasses over contact lense?
    5. Do you have special glasses for badminton?
    6. What problem you encountered when using glasses and how you resolve?
    Contact Lenses:

1. Do you suffer from dry eyes problem?
    2. Are there disadvantage/limitation when wearing contact lenses to play?
    3. Does your contact lenses fall out or you not sure they are still in your eyes?
    4. What are the pros for contact lenses over glasses?
    5. Can you see the birdy coming straight down?
    6. Do you have special contact lenses for badminton?
    7. What problem you have encountered when using contact lenses and how you resolve?
    Thanks

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    This has been discussed before, but anyways...

Glasses:
    1. No, although they can slip forward a bit when lunging.
    2. You lose a bit of peripheral vision, but in practice, you don't notice as you're generally focusing on the shuttle anyway.
    3. Yes. Why wouldn't you?
    4. No delay of play while you hunt for a lost contact lense. In my case, it's just that I'm too squeamish to go sticking my finger anywhere near my eyeball.
    5. Special only in the sense that I paid a lot less for them (just in case they were to fly off and break). I used to work painting houses, meaning my glasses got covered in paint a lot. I used the same pair for that and badminton, and some clean ones when I wanted to look presentable.
    6. None really?

8. strobofred

strobofred Regular Member

i never use my glasses to play sport, but i can give you some info on contacts:

i have been playing badminton with contacts for 2 years now and i have never lost one while playing badminton.

only 2 problems i can think of now:
    1: playin with feathers and a very small chip flew into my eye, you just stop the match and go to the toilets, just wash your hands and poke it out.

2: your eyes start to produce tears and it feels like the light is too bright, but just blink hard a few times and that problem is gone.

never wore glasses during badminton, but i think for your comfort contacts are better.
    i think you have more trouble seeing your opponent with glasses beacause you don't see well trough the edges. (like when you are about to smash and you see trough the corners of your eyes where your opponent is standing)

but be sure to consult an eye doctor before you use contacts, not all people have enough tear-water.

hope this is helpful

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Glasses:
    Does you glasses fly off in a vigorous game? No. If you need, you can get a strap thing that holds them on your head anyway.
    Are there disadvantage/limitation when wearing glass to play? Not that I can think of. Maybe just that it can take time to get used to wearing them for badminton
    Can you see Birdy coming straight down? Yes
    What are the pros for glasses over contact lense? Not having to touch your eyes, much harder to lose them on court. As a plus, you also get eye protection.
    Do you have special glasses for badminton? Yes. Mine are sort of like prescription sunglasses so they're more durable and give better peripheral vision than normal, everyday glasses.
    What problem you encountered when using glasses and how you resolve? None really.

10. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

1. No, I can't recall it ever happened during badminton.
    2. Yes, I sweat a lot in my forehead, and the sweat sometimes drips onto my lenses and even if I wipe them in between points, still some watermarks left on them.
    3. Not sure what you mean by that... if you mean someone does a really high clear and the bird drop straight down on top of me then yes.
    4. If a shuttlecock hit you in the eyes really hard... I rather get hit while wearing glasses with plastic lenses than contact.
    5. No
    6. See 2. don't have a practical solution yet.

11. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    A sweatband? You could get yourself a pair of prescription aviators too, and look like a real '80s throwback.

12. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I used to wear glass. But, I learn not to do so, and since my miopia is not so bad (-1 computer result -1.75). And currently getting low, due to vitamin A xD (currently -1/2 computer result -1).

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmmm...luckily i didnt wear spect yesterday....my left eyes been smashed by shutter...if i wear spect...i scare my eye would have blind when the glasses break.....but..it still pain...sigh...

14. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I'd be AMAZED if a shuttlecock could ever smash a modern lens. I've tested old lenses with hammers etc and couldn't smash them. Oakley have lenses that rebound ball bearings (used to be a video on their website) that were fired point blank at them.

Mark

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i see...hehe...ok then...next time...i wear spect...if have any accident...u take the responsibility...ok????

joke...:p

16. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

IMO, contact lenses are better than glasses. mostly because with glasses (in my experience) they always slip off due to sweat, my vision is limited, glasses fall off and have the risk of breaking them. with contacts there is more flexiblity and you dont have to worry about breaking them. I never had a problem with contacts, they always stayed on, if my eyes do get dry, i only have to use eye drops to lubricate them.
    an alternative to glasses other than contacts are eye guards... they are mandatory for under 18 in my province but i dont recommend them either. again, they will slip and i have the uneasy feeling of something heavy on my nose and on my face.

17. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Well, I dont have contact lenses, so I guess I adapted to glasses.

Glasses:
    1. Does you glasses fly off in a vigorous game? They fell off before.
    2. Are there disadvantage/limitation when wearing glass to play? Sometimes you can't really see clearly at the top because glasses aren't prephiarl and sometimes the frame kind of covers it a bit. Sometimes you can't see the birdie haha.
    3. Can you see Birdy coming straight down? Well, I do see a big blurry blob thats flying at me and I assume thats the birdie.
    4. What are the pros for glasses over contact lense? You dont have to go through the pain of putting eye drops and putting them on/getting them off. Sometimes contacts do fall off of your eyes. And when the birdie hits you straight in the face, your glasses protect your eyes.
    5. Do you have special glasses for badminton? No.
    6. What problem you encountered when using glasses and how you resolve? I just deal with it. Glasses falling off and cant see the birdie when it comes straight down.

18. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Glasses: generally fine, never have fogged up. only problem is when i lunge forwards in a really intense game, they slip downwards onto the tip of my nose, and as i retreat to defend a smash, my non-racquet hand is desperately trying to pull them back up.

Contacts: i get dry eyes rather easily. also, since i wear them mostly for competitive play, it's not as good. most competitive play here is easily 8 hours or so a day, so my eyes really dry out fast, even with eye drops.

i stick to glasses.

19. ethanhunt3055

ethanhunt3055 New Member

I would prefer contact lenses because when you play and sweat then it distract you because all sweat there become wet and you can’t be able to see but if good quality prescription eyeglasses were then problem can be solved.

prescription eyeglasses

20. ethanhunt3055

ethanhunt3055 New Member

yes.I would liek to perfer prescription eyeglasses