Just tested some rackets... was surprised

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Brale90, Apr 11, 2013.

1. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    LOL! This is actually very normal!

The power u generate depends on a lot of stuff. Just say the right power is generated with the equilibrium combination of the swing speed, flexibility of the shaft, the mass of the racket, the head balance of the racket and MOST IMPORTANT our own ability.

Due to our abilities (skills, physical) we have to find out own suitable racket.

Just to make u understand better, try imagine holding a 10KG RACKET!!!!:p So what problem U might face? Since the racket is so heavy, u might have difficulty to raise the racket, and swing stably. The swing speed u generate may be slow. Thus, overall u can't generate enough power XD

But then imagine a giant which thinks that this 10KG is just very light for him, and his wrist power could just easily generate a 200km swing speed with this racket. Thus he can hit the shuttle with humongous power.

From the above case, it is just obvious that a 10KG badminton racket is just too heavy for most humans.

What u said about 4u nanoray 800 which u think it generates the best power for u, is maybe owing to its lightweight and aerobic design which allows u to generate a faster swing, and the flexible shaft helps u generate more power in tr shots. Compared to a head heavier racket, it might not give u the equilibrium of all the conditions required for yr shots.

So is it suitable for 4u nanoray 800 to play singles. In theory, no. However u should not forget about yr own ability. No offence, maybe a head heavy stiff shaft like VT Z force may not generate as much power than a 4u nanoray 800 when u use it. But it isn't the problem for using a 4u nanoray 800.

Remember in LCW early years, he kind of choose a light headed Nano 8000 for his singles. In theory, it doesn't seems like a gd single racket choice, but at that time, LCW have a weaker physical ability. But when his muscles kind of pop out, he used AT900P.

What he did is just choose a racket perfect for himself. And I do support u if u do too =]

By the way, try more rackets and make a decision. Gd Luck =]

#21 sychong95, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You probably mean aerodynamic ;)
    Agree with your post 100%, though.

@Brale90 : You're probably able to accelerate the 4U NR800 quickly, thus bending the stiff shaft a little, which creates power. While you might not be able to do the same to the VT80 (accelerating as explosively), the heavier head and softer shaft might allow you to bend that shaft as well, resulting in similar power. If one racket is less powerful than the other, that's because the combination isn't right (i.e. too heavy or stiff for you) - as long as they're strung the same. If they're not, you can't possibly judge which racket's the most powerful as the strings have a huge influence.

Anyhow, I'd suggest you go with the racket that's most comfortable, as long as you're able to generate good power. It doesn't have to be the best smash. Keep in mind that your game needs more than just a smash - you're also gonna be defending, driving, clearing....changing the racket just for the smash and sacrificing good part of your defense for that will most likely weaken your singles play quite a bit. Same if you get one you can't play well at the net with.

My advice would be to go with the softest racket you're comfortable with, as it's rather unlikely you're using a stiffer shaft to it's fullest. Same for string tension, go as low as you can while maintaining control. Feeling is secondary - you're going to get used to it eventually. Most important is that you can control the shuttle and get a decent length on clears.

3. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    Yea~ Sry for my bad English XD. Thx for correcting me XD

4. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

There are a lot of theories about power, speed and control, but what's the most important thing is to choose the right racket. The Yonex top range is becoming very specialized rackets and less general. I do not compare rackets in general but try to put them in head light, even balanced and head heavy rackets, but it's getting more difficult as the rackets overlaps and each brand is different. In choosing rackets, its only important to choose the racket where you can play comfortable with AND have the most confidence in. If you are impressed with the NR800, go for it. The specs are unimportant because it's all reference...