Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大 ) / Yoo Yeon Seong ( 유연성 / 杻延星)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Sep 12, 2013.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D I think Lance Armstrong's case has nothing to do with it. Plenty of high profile examples already took place in athletics and even cycling with Michael Rasmussen from the Rabobank team well before the Armstrong confession.
    In the end the athletes themselves are responsible for keeping there whereabouts up to date and as mentioned have the possibility to do so through a website.
    It's not even that hard a requirement I see now: you just have to fill in one 1-hour timeslot between 6AM and 11PM where you are available for a test.

48 hours?! You could probably clean up a lot of traces in such a long timeframe, maybe complete a full blood transfusion even :D ...

#161 demolidor, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    oh i was thinking if they were on the other side of the globe and needed to travel back from vacation or something, but i have neglect to think that they probably don't go on vacation often as they are either playing in a tournament or training :)

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It is quite easy to see where this can go wrong when the national federation does it for an athlete: an unexpected change of plans and a slow update to the administration coupled with some bad luck of being picked for testing at precisely the wrong moment and there you have it. Three times in eighteen months though really should not have been allowed to happen ...

:). If you are on vacation then usually it is a planned one and that is where your "whereabout" should be. Maybe the federation just puts in the hourly slot during one of the daily practice sessions and when a LYD or KKJ is out for a photoshoot they forget to update it ... Well probably not KKJ :D (was thinking of another Jung)

#163 demolidor, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

This is bad for the game...MD is already bad for spectators with 1-2 shot rally matches these days :(

5. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Maybe KBA should recall Ko Sung-Hyun back early for Asian Games.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Recalling him wouldn't be an issue if he's on the sangmu team just like YYS is. Too enlisted slightly earlier and he was back playing in international competitions in about 5 months was it?

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Doping is legal until being caught! The professional competition includes the technologies utilizing the performance enhanced substances without being caught. Unfortunately, hiding is not an effective technique for that. :(

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's Olympic badminton gold medallist Lee Yong-dae has been hit with a one-year ban for missing doping tests, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) said on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old won mixed doubles gold at the 2008 Games in Beijing and a bronze medal in the men's doubles in London four years later. Another Korean player, Kim Ki-jung, was also banned for one year.

The ban was effective until January 23, 2015, the federation said in a statement, meaning the players would miss the Asian Games in Incheon later this year.

"Korean badminton players Kim Ki-jung and Lee Yong-dae have each received a one-year sanction for violating the requirements relating to filing whereabouts information and resulting missed tests under the BWF Anti-Doping Regulations," the BWF said.

"Kim and Lee were required to provide whereabouts information for the BWF to conduct out-of-competition testing. In 2013, both athletes accumulated three whereabouts failures in connection with this administrative process."

The BWF said it chose not to dish out the maximum two-year ban "due to the Badminton Korea Association's failure ... to make diligent efforts to keep the BWF informed about the players' whereabouts."

A doping hearing panel recommended that the Korean association should be fined and the BWF said it would determine whether additional sanctions were appropriate.

Both players had the right to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the statement said.

FAILURES

Kim Jung-soo, executive director of Korean badminton, told a news conference later on Tuesday that the two players would never intentionally miss doping tests.

"When the WADA inspectors visited the Taeneung National Training Centre in March and November last year, Lee and Kim were not there as they were participating in local and international competitions," Kim said.

"We failed to submit a whereabouts report online last September as well.

"Kim and Lee have never used banned substances and did not reject or intentionally avoid testing.

They have participated in a number of international competitions and passed all the tests every time.

"It is hard to understand that they are punished just because they were not present when the inspectors came to check their whereabouts without prior notice."

Kim said the association would "aggressively" appeal the case to seek a reduction in the bans to three-six months from one year so the players Kim could compete in the September 19 to October 4
    Asian Games on home soil.

9. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Sheesh... Is there no decency to it...

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

12. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Come on guys, the rules are clear and if you stick to being a pro, you have to follow the rules.

No doubt the rules are very strict and demanding, but anyone knows what he has to do and that he has to reveal his position without a gap.

Stick to the rules or get banned, that's the life of pros in almost every sport nowadays. And I think it's a good thing for a fairer and cleaner world!!

13. catman

catman Regular Member

What does testing mean - they just have to provide urine sample right?

14. yeo_melaka

yeo_melaka Regular Member

Kinda agree. WADA visited the training centre and only pick Lee and Kim? What about other players? I think if they(other KBA players) are playing in international tourney, surely there's lots of other korea player that will be in the same tournament. And being in the same tourney, they must have submitted names of others that were picked for the doping test. Just wondering if only Lee and Kim were the only ones that got picked.

Not picking on Lee and Kim, but just want to how many players from KBA picked by WADA for the test. If anyone could let us know, its appreciated.

15. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Well. I don't think they actually were taking PED's, there were some old threads a while back that stated that badminton is one of the cleanest sports, and I still think it is. That BKA is not the best run of organisations sounds more plausible, but LYD and KKJ still should take some of the blame, stuff like this shouldn't be allowed to halt your career in this way.

Perhaps badminton will show up once again in Swedish news, was a while since the US Open "fight"... :(

16. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

From what I understood he hasn't used anything. So we shouldn't rush to conclusions here.

They just failed to even attend those doping tests and that is sadly enough to get banned.

17. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

From what I read, it is clearly stated that BWF sanctioned these players due to the negligence from the association (BKA) in filing certain report of the players' whereabouts.

This issuance of the sanction is not based on doping test result from the players' urine or blood, or any other forms of misconduct within the terms of doping rulings.

I really wish they could fight and use their rights of appeal by the end of 17 February 2014.

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Appeal? on what ground?

the ban already reduced from 2 to 1 year after the players answered the charges at the Hearing Panel.
    as they'd missed tests 3 times, 'guilty as charged' does come to my mind.

19. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Well I don't know what would be a solid ground to defend their position, due to the fact that I am not qualified in BWF's laws and regulations. Nevertheless, if I were them, I would do all available (and lawful) recourse against the sanction, and to (at least) reduce the period of sentence.

I just read that there is still option for them to file an appeal from this link =

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=80675

Kim and Lee have the right to appeal (Clause 13.2.1 of BWF Anti-Doping Regulations) to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland, at latest midnight KL time on 17 February, 2014.

20. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

The missed doping tests are as bad as a failed doping test (for obvious reasons if you think about it for one second...).
    Therefore, they are already lucky to get only one year ban.