Shuttlecocks are seriously overpriced?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by vagpwner, Apr 28, 2007.

1. terror

terror Regular Member

Yonex, in the badminton market, is the largest (arguably) firm with the strongest brand name. For sure, it will be able to sustain temporary losses if it should decide to cut its prices. Its competitors will have to do the same to maintain consumer demand levels. What happens here is that the competitors might (read: most probably) be forced out of business first.

Sure, these other companies may have cheaper shuttle production methods, but looking at a slightly broader picture, they will not be able to sustain the low prices for a long time, since they cannot(arguably again) compete with Yonex in other areas, for example, rackets.

Yonex know they have this advantage so they price their goods way above that of their competitors. If the other shuttle companies' prices should vary too much, Yonex will just use, or threaten to use such predatory pricing methods to force them into raising their prices.

2. terror

terror Regular Member

im not so sure about that, a leak would have potentially disastrous consequences:cool:

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yonex is the market leader in badminton racquets but not in shuttlecocks. FYI, Yonex does not have a single factory making shuttlecocks. It has no secured supply source of the best NE China goose feathers. Yonex is an OEM, like many other brands and OEMs, in the feathers shuttlecocks market. All OEMs, have contract manufacturers making shuttles to their required specifications. It is China's many massive and independent feathers and shuttles industries that are the big boys in feathers shuttles. For example, if you are interested I can arrange to make 10 boxes (500 tubes) of very high quality shuttlecocks as good as Yonex's best feathers specifications but with your own proprietary brand or name.
    The recent increase in feathers shuttles prices is solely due to the appreciation of the Chinese currency relative to the US $.
    Yonex would be foolish to price their feathers at predatory pricing-they will just lose more money and they will realize that their supplies from their contract manufacturer are not limitless. Feathers shuttles are not Yonex's strength like Yonex racquets and Yonex's willingness to sponsor a few select countries' badminton federations with multi-million deals.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Since u asked, Fourteen said he's ordering a 1/2 doz of MAVIS 350:D

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You mean the guy, who posted to a 2 year old thread, that it is OK to play with damaged shuttles, because "Everyone at the court is using the same bird" :D

/Twobeer

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    give fourteen some credit, for a senior he is willing try new thing, and have an open mind:cool:

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I told you so...Cooler is happy.

8. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN Regular Member

Gainfully Retired

Apparently you had more than twobeer! No where on this forum did I say: "Everyone at the court is using the same bird" !! The most recent post previous to mine is dated 11-2-7. Being sober, I calculate that as nine months old!! (2years = 24 months)

Also, at what age are the posts on this forum irrelevant, outdated, worthless, useless, untrue, or unworthy of comment or further discussion?? Since I only visited this forum a few days ago following a long hiatus, for me nothing is!!! Perhaps "the guy, who posted to a 2 year old thread" found this thread interesting enough to add a post or two, as did others including the guy calling himself, or herself, Twobeer!! Perhaps the subject matter, information, or opinions have changed enough to warrant revisitation!!!

If indeed this thread is irrelevant, outdated, worthless, useless, untrue, or unworthy of comment or further discussion, why don't you petition the administrator to delete it!??!

PS: Unlike golf where each player uses his own ball, in Badminton all players in a game share the same bird. So, new bird or old, they all must use it and adjust their play accordingly.

No one should gain the advantage of using a new bird part way through a game. Because, if a new bird is introduced during a game, the first player to use it may have an advantage over the last person to use the old bird!

If everyone used their birds as long as possible, it would reduce the overall expense of Badminton for the individual, and the reduced demand might tend to lower the prices.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    There's no need for anyone to get worked up.
    It's, ahem, just the plastic getting to people :p

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer

I agree with you that 2 years old was not a valid statement, and you are right, even old post could be brought to life, is there is some new relevant info.

I have never petitioned the admin for removal of ANY post.. My firm beleif is that word should be free, and no one should be censored (In the case of commercial SPAM or obvious malace, I could however consider to make an exception :) )

The exact quote from your post is "Everyone on the court during a game will be using exactly the same bird! Feather, nylon, fast, slow, new, old, fresh, damaged, cheap, expensive, yellow, or white!!"

my statement
    was not intended to be a word for word qute of your post... It was more of an "interpretation" of it.. (and please note "Interpretation" is also not a quote from your post... ;) )

P.S. Could you consider changing to normal black fonts in your post..
    The red font makes you seem like an angry kid... D.S.

/Twobeer

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    haha, I feel a lot of love in this room ;)

Now back to the exciting start of the Olympics :D

/T

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I agree with you that 2 years old was not a valid statement, and you are right, even old post could be brought to life, is there is some new relevant info.

Maybe our friend here has found the magic of reversing his age :D. Maybe there is a way around time as we know it :)

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    True, true :)

But still the thread http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29197 was indeed started 2005-12-29, and before mr. FOURTEEN posted to it the previous last post where 2006-01-13 ;)

But I Know, I am just being a Messerschmidt...

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29197

Maybe some alcohol now and then just kill the slow and weak braincells, that are calculus-challenged :p

/Twobeer

#93 twobeer, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  14. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

What does "Messerschmidt" mean beside the name of the great fighter used by German in WWII?

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I would like to know too.

I prefer turbo prop over pistons anyday. :D

16. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    that's why you buy nylon shuttles. they last much much longer. feather play better but if your good with nylon, your even better with feather.

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    aah.. maybe its only in sweden.. I think there was an old joke in a movie or something..

Person A was frustrated on his friend (B) always having to be correct, an "picky".

A: "Please stop being be such a Messerschmidt"...

B: "It's called Besserwisser..."

/Twobeer

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Errr... it's called a Besserwisser... ;);):D

19. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN Regular Member

Gainfully Retired

NO!!! As long as it is available as an option I will use it, because I like it, and I am not normal!! I am a 67 year old kid!

I am not angry, and I never get angry!! See? Your words don't bother me, bother me, bother me, .......

:D

But, thank you for your concern!!

PS: What does using the Times New Roman font indicate??

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    A small amount of nettiquette, and respect for other readers of the forum is not a bad thing.. Just because you, yourself, find it pretty or whatever?, should not stop you from maybe thinking what other people think of you and your message when they read your post..

I suggest you read http://www.n-etiquette.com/forum.htm

and maybe even: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48363

Of course there are always "options" as well to use f-words, be rude, and dissrespectful to others as well...But just because the option exists does not mean it should not be wisely and restrictively.

Respect for other forum members and readers of your posts, is something to consider regardless of being 67 or 6 to 7 years of age.

My 2 cents,
    Twobeer