Smashing strong without massive muscles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Heong, Sep 2, 2009.

1. disney

disney Regular Member

yup..exactly..thats what v call explosive..:pbut of course if both person hv the same explosive,skills,tecniques,timing,stamina,mentality and stability..the one with bigger mussles will produce a stronger smash 4 sure..:D

2. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

yup...more energy of the hand on the swing

3. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    There's a whole range of exercises and thoughts here about how to develop a good smash. Remember though that some people are more naturally powerful than others. Whilst you can train to increase power, there is no substiute for natural power combined with good technique.

Because the smash is a combination of a throw action and pronation, a strong upper body helps. You do need strong triceps, forearms and wrists but you must train to develop both speed (which gives explosive power) and endurance. If you don't train for endurance then you may as well train for Mr Universe. You'll look good on the beach but probably won't hit many smashes before you're muscles are tired.

So multiple repetitions with light weights done quickly work well as you're building endurance rather than bulk.

To increase strength try slowing down the speed of your weight training. It'll shock your muscles! e.g press ups are great for building arm strength (including triceps), chest and shoulders. Instead of pumping 20 out real fast (which is great for explosive power), try a 3 count going down and 3 count coming up. Try a set of 10 at this pace. You'll feel your muscles working far harder because you do not have momentum to rely on which reduces the effectiveness of the exercise.

Overall, you do need to combine both strength training with endurance training to get the most out of this game. Remember, when you're hitting overhead after overhead, it's your endurance that keeps you going moreso than strength.

4. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

so we should do fast weight training and also slow weight training? Won't the slow reps make our muscles not be as explosive? or should we do slow weight or push ups slow (for strength) then finish off with fast ones (train for explosive)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_gdlEh7O4&feature=related
    at around 8 min looks like more explosive training or fast reps vs. slow ones

#24 ionoo, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  5. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    As badminton has so many combining factors, strength, speed, endurance etc you need to train for all. Light weights with higher reps and sets will help fatigue your muscles which is great training for endurance.

Heavier weights worked slowly make your muscle fibres work harder as there is no momentum to help the muscle complete the exercise. So the muscle is actually working for the complete exercise. These kind of exercises require low reps and fewer sets. This is more for strength training.

Explosion is when you combine power (strength applied quickly) and speed. This kind of training requires mid point weights that you can handle relatively easy to avoid serious injury. You then test number of reps and sets but I'd suggest 6 reps, 2-3 sets.

hope this helps

Paul

6. disney

disney Regular Member

Actually i hv no idea about how to train up the mussles..but arguing slow or fast..i saw a video regarding lin dan and lee chong wei training..there is a part which show their physical training..they are all do it fast..so..what do u think..?

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's all a matter of technique....lets say strong muscles are a more powerful car engine, while good technique is a more efficient motor....you will obviously prefer the more efficient engine, right?

Example:

100N smash x 10% efficiency = 10N
    50N smash x 50% efficiency = 25N

Also, better technique allows you to channel power from more parts of the body. So it's like getting extra power without having to strengthen your body at all!

BTW - good badminton muscles are toned muscles, not big ones.

8. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    In addition to power with good technique/form...

i think the focus of strengthening muscles when it comes to the arm should be to improve endurance and control rather than plain power. [Max] power in smashing doesn't come from just the top portion of your body.

lol, I'm just physically lopsided due to poor form. :p

9. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, this subject is bit deep...
    Let me classify people in to 3 distinctive groups based on what the acheive by exercise.

A - Weight lifters-they are really strong and bulky. But they lack on speed and stamina. Their weight training would be maximum weights and minimum repetition for a long time each day.

B - Gymnast or Body builders & short distance sprinters-They have good lean muscle count which looks really attractive. They have strength & speed, but stamina is not as good as some others. That is because of 2 reasons. 1-Lean muscles spend lot of energy for each activity 2-their overall body weight will be more because of the muscle count. Leans muscles are very good because that gives you speed & strength, also spends lot of energy and that prevents fat being accumulated in the body. You can acheive good lean muscle count by selecting a weight which would let you do between 12 to 15 counts and doing your maximum repetitions in 3 to 5 sets.

C - Long distance runners. They do not have strength & speed as group B, but they have stamina and they will last for hours doing what they do best. They acheive this by keeping shedding all extra body mass & doing exercise fast for a long time using minimum resistance (weight).

Now the big question is, where badminton players want to be?

We need speed and stamina (Endurance) but need not be very strong-We are going to move a racket which is about 100 gms or thereabout. Hence, we should be right in the middle of B & C groups. (You can not be all. For being one thing, you sacrifice others a bit.If you look for strength all the way, that can affect your speed & and if you look for muscle bulk, that can affect you stamina)

Your leg and thigh muscles matters most. Until you have strength there, nothing else matters. Even if you have upper body like that of Bruce-Lee and all the necessary skills, I can promise you that you are not going to win even a single game at professional level if you do not have a good lower body.

You need not start with weights straightaway. Your First 3 months could be all free exercise-Slow running up to 6 KMS a day, lot of ground exercise including push ups, side spreads, sit ups and squats. Once you pass this level, you may add weights. You need to concentrate on on your wrists, triceps, shoulder & biceps. Also you need good Omplc muscles as well (The muscles on the sides of abdominal)

More to follow

Thanks
    Prince

10. disney

disney Regular Member

haha..sounds like u r discribing the Initial D..AE86 winning GTR..:D

11. WilkinMun

WilkinMun Regular Member

Well, I found that many people concern too much on just the muscle but not the overall. Here is my opinion hope that it does not offend anyone.

I realize that the strength of muscle is not the only factor. I concern more on the balancing of the body especially the control of center of gravity. So far my experience is that my shot out of control if I did not change my center of gravity properly.

Seriously what I am trying to say is that my power actually come from the weight of my body. I move my center of gravity (CG) from back to front, and my hand is just like a tool. So, come to the time to concern where what is need from hand.

Since the major power are coming from change of CG, my hand needs to be precise where it does not use a lot of strength. Strength greater, accuracy lower. At the end I use a little strength from my shoulder to my finger to do the swinging mechanism.

After doing so, you shall be able to produce a fast + accurate shot. However, here come a problem is the vibration that caused by the impact. The vibration will sour your hand. If you want to experience the feeling, you can to take a driller and drill a hole on hard concrete. Now what you shall concern is that what you shall do to minimize this effect.

As mentioned by some people in the previous messages, they recommend endurance and so do I. The reason why I choose endurance is to deal with the effect after smashing. Please do not forget that the more powerful the smash is, the more damage to your own body. Most people injure because they did not put this into consideration.

12. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    haha, this is where my last injury came from... and I'm still forgetting that :/

i have soo much to work on

13. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    This is actually due to poor technique and "forcing" more power into your stroke when you don't have the technique to channel it into the bird, making it end up in the joints. Shoulder problems often occur from overswinging, same with tennis elbow, though if you have a smooth, comfortable swing, then you will have tons of power but a lot less damage to joints.

14. WilkinMun

WilkinMun Regular Member

200% agree !!

The fact is I realized many who practice more gain stronger ability of smashing. Through playing players gain the necessary experience+technique+power+endurance.

The reason is very simple, after doing many smashing the muscle will "evolve" to "smashing muscle". It sounds stupid but this is what our body made of, there is not much necessary to "modify" our muscle. Sometimes I found many 40+ years-old player (not bulky) having stronger smashes than 20+ player who attempt gym.;)

Just one rumor / suggestion, I heard that Indonesian national player practice their smashes through 100 (continues) smashes. Wow, I do not think I have that stamina to do that.

#34 WilkinMun, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  15. 1and1giv2

1and1giv2 Regular Member

Most brilliant comment for this thread so far. :D

16. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Based on what WCH said "Play with full-hearted"

17. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

form! it's all about form and the point of contact.

18. kirby3

kirby3 Regular Member

any good tips for the form / positioning for smash?

19. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

i'm not an expert but here is what i've been told:

Contact the shuttle has high as possible, your swing should follow through, get under the shuttle, be early to prepare for contact, although contacting the shuttle should be at a perfect timing. theres lots of youtube vids that describe how to perfect a smash. if you're jumping, try putting your body weight in when smashing....

like i said, i'm not a pro but i think these are good enough.

20. ezish

ezish Regular Member

do you have the video link?