Looking for Partner / Groups (Vancouver Area)

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Salz.7, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    umm. something came up and we decided to cancel it :(( sorry whizzard ,,, once again sorry ,, canucksdynasty, nope, time and venue hasn't been settled yet ,, I'll work on it later on.. in the meantime, add my facebook so I will know more about you guys .. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=557202452 cheers.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I'm a dinosaur. I don't use facebook cuz it's EVIL. ;)

3. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    yesh u still live in pre-historic era. yet u're using forum I wonder .. :p

4. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

There is a group that I just joined that plays out of ACE on friday nights... 8-11 with feathers provided. There is a wide range of players there from middle beginners to coaches that drop by to play around with their friends...

5. CanucksDynasty

Yep. In fact...I just used eBay and PayPal last year for the first time to get a replacement bulb for my TV (pre LCD TVs). I'm quite the fuddy duddy. :)

My wife has the internet shopping down pat though :crying:.

6. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    Hey CD,Haven't played you with you ages. I haven't been keeping up with your training thread but I will definitely read up. I was thinking of picking up a few lessons myself this summer an good recommendations to coaches?Also about the zf, any thoughts? I'm using a cheap ti10 and was thinking of trying something new. Since you use the vt80 any thoughts from going in from a mid-end Yonex to a vt80/zf at 22lbs?Thanks!!

7. CanucksDynasty

I had 12 training sessions before stopping due to money troubles. Hopefully it gets settled sometime this year and I can go back to taking lessons. My friend is still taking lessons and picked up some new moves (hold deception shots) which closed the gap between us. I'm still winning the majority of games but only by a scant few point differential. And we have started using the 21 pt system too. Our coach is at ClearOne Browngate with Kaz. He's top 5 in BC (British Columbia). I think he costs around $45 for 1hr session. It was around $67 for him to coach 2 people for 1 hr.

Are you looking at 3U or 4U? I would say 3U is geared for singles while 4U is for doubles.

I wouldn't be too concerned about going to a head heavy racket. You just need some time to get used to the weight and timing. There will probably be some soreness in your shoulders, elbow, and/or wrist as you adjust to the head heavy racket. The VT80 won't be nearly as fast as the Ti10...so you gotta consider that as well. I remember you got a cannon of a smash.

My new favourite racket is the VTZF right now. I can generate the same power (maybe a bit more) as the VT80 but my defense is better with the VTZF. I definitely noticed that during a drive rally. But it comes with a slightly smaller frame and stiffer shaft. So every mishit will be magnified. It's 3UG5 and I'm looking to pick up the LTD version in 4UG5 for doubles.

Funny thing...I used to get tennis elbow with the VT80 but worked that out. Now switching to VTZF...I'm finding I'm getting minor wrist pains. So I'm doing wrist exercises to build it up.

The tension is whatever suits you best. Some people play better with 24lbs...some with 28lbs. That's just personal preference.

I play Wednesday nights at 8pm at ClearOne Browngate with my friend and a new guy we just met at the courts. You can drop by sometime and try out the VT80 LTD and VTZF if you want. See if you like it. If you like the VT80 LTD...I can sell you mine at a good price. Near mint condition (9.9/10) recently strung with BG80P @ 27lbs. Not selling the VTZF though :p.

EDIT: Forgot to add that ClearOne Leslie added black drapes between courts #8, #9, and #10. So you won't get that lighting problems (ie. losing the shuttles in the lights) as you experienced last time. You will still lose sight of the shuttle sometimes if you are on the sidelines. Happened to me a couple of times last weekend. The drapes also made it feel like I was close to a wall and made me think shuttles were going to go out (but they didn't and landed in). It'll take a couple sessions to get used to it and ignore it.

#27 CanucksDynasty, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  8. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    canucksdynasty and everyone else, would you guys want to come and play this sunday evening at Bonsor Community center? close to metrotown, from 8 to 11PM. $5.50 . . . level of people vary at that community center. like low-intermediate I assume . so if you guys could come, it'd be great. we could have some good games.

9. CanucksDynasty

Sadly...I have to decline. As mentioned in my previous post...weekends are family time. Sorry.

10. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    :p yea I'm just joking, lol . I have some friends who don't use facebook too for some personal reasons . And it's totally understandable, nothing's weird, nothing's wrong :)

11. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

I'm up for badminton almost anytime in the Richmond area, advanced (based on ClearOne) player, feel free to PM me :). Do not care about what level you are, as long as you're mildly serious and don't attempt to play trick shots every other rally :mad:.

12. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    planning to play tonight if you're available that would be great .. im low intermediate i guess according to c1 level,, :p but im serious if thats what you're asking for .. i'll post detail here in a bit ..

13. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

salz.7 are you still going to bonsor?

14. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    Yes, is it J ? If so, I texted you last Wed :) and if you did come to Bonsor, I was wearing yellow shirt :)

Oh guys, tomorrow I and my friend will be playing at C1 Leslie, from 2-5 I think .. drop in starts from 1-5PM for only $4.. Feel free to join in, I'll be wearing yellow yonex and white short .. with glasses...

Cheers.

15. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

Hey everyone!

I heard possibly that Salz, CD and others met up to play yesterday. How was it and where did you guys play? Let me know in advance the next time you guys meet to play.

Thanks!

16. CanucksDynasty

Yep we played. Salz+friend (young ones) vs CD+friend (oldies). Only had 1hr booked as C1 Browngate wouldn't pick up their phone. They came late so we only had 1/2hr for doubles play. Split games 1-1. Skill level are comparable. Open invitation to come out. Just give more notice so we can try to book another hour.

17. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    Hi Distanc3,

Yep as CD mentioned above, we played together at C1 Browngate the other night .. And, I'll be playing with couple friends this Saturday at C1 Leslie, drop in from 1-5PM. It'd be awesome if you, and everyone else could join us this weekend ! And you have my number, right ? Drop me a call anytime.

Cheers,
    MV