SP Tennis Opus

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Feb 23, 2007.

1. leavelet

leavelet Regular Member

Reason for no more pickup

I browse over those posts in this link and one post by ahmike dated Jan 6, 2009 explains why there is no more pickup:

"I just spoke to Steve at SP to get an explanation on why they no longer allow free pickups. It turns out he's a one man operation in the warehouse and answering phone calls is a top priority. As a result they have experienced thefts associated with local pickups due to lack of supervision when the phone rings.

Having said that, you would think that it wouldn't be too difficult for SP to develop some specific pickup/security procedures that would allow him to do both. They must be losing quite a few potential local customers (including myself) by offering no free pickup option. It makes no sense for me to have to fork out an extra 20% ($40) to have them ship a $200 SP Swing that is located only 15 min. away."

It is true that SP could miss quite a bit of business by frustrating local customers this way. Many warehouses have a pickup area. Through the door, you walk into a small room with nothing but three walls. Inside there is a door to the back of the warehouse and a window through which they can pass the boxes to the customers. Such a room is simple and inexpensive to build, a handy man can do it in a day. To save money, they don't even need to paint the drywall. Add to that, get a cordless phone with belt clip and a headset plugged in. Would that solve their big problems with the pickup???

2. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

I've just about given up on getting Silent Partner. It is their loss not mine, getting the Victor C-7030 is around the same if not less. The only thing that Silent Partner had going for it to me was the possibility to pick it up locally. Not only can I not do that, but an extra $120 for the kit and $180 for shipping just made this machine a lot more expensive. I can use that $300 to get loads of strings which will earn me back money.

3. leavelet

leavelet Regular Member

Yes or No

I suggest sending SP one last final email to tell them You have decided to buy ONLY if you can pick it up, no shipping. Ask them "do they want the business, YES or No", period. If they have the gut to say no, congrad them and take the business elsewhere.

4. bluecraze07

I shall do that. However, I don't even know if I want to get this machine anymore. It's just too costly with tax and the badminton kit.

5. bluecraze07

Also the Opus is on a 2.5 month back order.

6. leavelet

leavelet Regular Member

It seems they have more business than they can handle. No wonder... :rolleyes: What can I say, they have the upper hand.:(

7. bluecraze07

I don't think they have THAT much business. Also, the customer should always have the upper hand. They should try in every case to satisfy the customer. Something like free pick up is better for both ends anyways. It's just stupidity to me.

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, they don't have to sort out shipping - you don't have to pay for shipping. IN theory at least, everybody wins but that's obviously not how SP see it.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Features of the Opus

The Opus also has very low-friction turntable bearing like the C-7030. It's something every hardcore stringer has to get used to.

The entire machine is quite heavy on the order of 140 lbs? :D around there. You are advised to have two people to assemble it. I was all by myself :(:crying:.

The tensioner is very robust. As I mentioned previously (did I?), there is an activation strip that you brush your finger across it and the tensioner activates. And of course, the button built next to the tensioner diablo is so handy. So, you do not have to push activation button on the control panel.

10. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    140Lbs :eek:. Forget going to the gym or playing badminton, I bet you got enough workout for a week just putting the Opus together :rolleyes::D

That activation strip thing sounds immensely cool.

11. bluecraze07

Pete, or anyone else, did you ever get a chance to use the machine with the proper supports and clamps?