Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I agree with you. Morten Frost did spot LCW when he was young and helped him get into the Academy in KL. MF acted as an indirect link but never a coach. If he did, he would reveal that during the games.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I read somewhere that, in a post match interview, Lee CW said he vowed to move forward and focus on winning the London 2012 Olympic title and try one more time to win the world championship in 2013. Lin Dan, better watch out - your arch rival is more determined than ever to end his career on a high. Exciting times for badminton fans like us, their continued rivalry will produce superb thrilling matches.

Looking forward to their coming meetings in the Li Ning China Masters and Japan Open next month, both Super Series tournaments.

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It is not unlikely that LCW WOs in China and LD passes Japan.. Its a good chance they will face of in OL2012, but 2013 LD will have retired so LCW will most likely never get to beat him in a WC final. On the other Hand if LCW trains good and stays injury free I fail to see any contenders that will improve enough the next two years to challenge him in WC 2013..

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

IMO it would be a hollow victory if LCW won WC13, without LD's presense...

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan has said before that he wants to emulate Peter Gade for longevity, so he will be around for a few more years. Don't forget Super Dan just got married, may become a father soon (just a wild guess) so need to make some more money for his child's "milk powder" and growing up years, hehe... Another reason is China still has to depend on him even after London 2012 as there isn't anyone else who can step into his shoes yet, sad to say, and who else can take on Lee C W other than Lin Dan. These two players are in a class of their own, nobody comes near.

twobeer, you may be right, they will try to avoid meeting each other as far as possible until the London Olympics, both fearing to lose and boosting the other's confidence. But I don't see how that can happen in the Super Series Premiers and the SS Final at year end, as well as the team championships next year.

6. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    Just done watching the 2011's WC on utube ( it's very late, i know :D, but the internet in Indo is very sucks :( )

Congratulations for LD who won it in styles ( saving 2x match points, omg :eek: )

But to be honest, I like LCW's style in set 3, he's gone into attacking-mode.. it's different in set 1, where he's on placement-mode..

Can't wait for OG.. :D

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good news, practically all the top players in every discipline are taking part in the Li Ning China Masters next month, we are going to see Lin Dan and Lee C W " Clash of the Titans" again, hurray!

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LCW will not be participating in CHina Masters though his name was in initial list. He will participate in Japan Open, the Premier SS. Even then, not neccesarily LD & LCW will meet, you know, one or both may lose before meeting.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hoped thay will prove you wrong. In the Li Ning Masters which is held in China, Lin Dan will definitely play though Lee CW may pull out as you say but in the SS Premier Japan Open, they are required to participate, compulsory for the premiers but allowed to pull out from maximum two SS, and we know Lee CW was missing from the recent SG Open SS, not sure whether he missed any other.

As for either Lin or Lee losing along the way to the final,therefore not meeting each other, I fear it is more likely Lin Dan being knocked out unexpectedly rather than Lee CW as he has so far proven himself unstoppable en route to the finals.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The 2011 Japan Open is not a a Premier SS tournament

Both eaglehelang and Justin L are wrong. :eek::eek::eek:

The Japan Open (in 2011) is not a Premier SS; it's only a SS tournament.

From the press release, it was mentioned that LCW's next tournament shall be the 2011 Japan Open SS (I suppose it's because LCW wants to defend the title that he won in 2010).
    :):):)

11. victory

victory Regular Member

Yup. LCW will participate Japan Open to defend his title. Let's hope LD will participates as well. Can't wait to see these 2 great players competing on court.

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Congratulation to LD for winning his 4th WC title. He surely has proven many people (including me) who thought he will lose, wrong!

Well, to me that match could have gone either way easily. LCW was just a bit unluckly considering all the pressure he bears upon. Its a big disadvantage for him. And I keep my argument that LD now and LD 3 years ago is different player, and LD today is nowhere near LD 3 yrs ago. I would also add that to me today LCW is the best player on earth, as was displayed in the WC final that the best player did not win.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Lin Dan's victories over Datuk LCW in the 3 majors..

2008 Olympics Final - 21-12, 21-8
    2009 All England Final - 21–19, 21–12
    2011 World Championships Final - 20-22, 21-14, 23-21

throw in the 2010 Asian Games MS Final - 21-13, 15-21, 21-10

*I hope all of you LD fans already got a complete collection of those matches..:cool:

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

a few more

2006 All England Semi Final - 15-9, 10-15, 17-14

throw in the team events as well

2009 Sudirman Cup Semi Final - 21-16, 21-16
    2010 Thomas Cup Semi Final - 21-17, 21-8.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OOps, you're right, Japan Open not a SS Premier, sorry about that. Then it's possible Lee misses out on China Masters(home ground advantage to Ln) and Lin the Japan Open(don't want to be reminded of his loss to Lee last year) - just not sure if either one or both of them have forgone the maximum two of five regular SS; even so thay will have to play in the next SS Premier and certainly the December SS Final.

Btw, I saw Lee CW's name in the list of players for next month's Li Ning China Masters SS and the last day of withdrawal without penalty is 28th Aug. Anybody read or heard anything different?

16. eaglehelang

Yeah, both of us wrong :p.
    LCW didnt play in last year's China Masters either, he has to play in Japan Open, sponsored by Yonex. LCW's intention of skipping the China Masters was reported in the press interviews after he returned from England. So, your wish of seeing both of them in a tourney should be Denmark SS Premier :D

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's exactly my point too - Lin Dan is a different(less dynamic attacking) player now than 3/4 years ago. Strangely, Lee CW today, these 2 years in particular, is playing like Lin Dan at his attacking best previously and Lin Dan is playing like Lee CW a few years back, more conservative,passive and content to push the shuttle around hoping to win by sheer respect, only upping the tempo and suddenly injecting pace when forced to do so.

The way Lee CW demolishes all his other opponents nowadays,in fact this one two years, with his lethal attacking shots is reminiscent of Lin Dan at his best - just watch the way Lin Dan practically destroyed Lee CW with scintillating attacks at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, awesome. As a result, Lee's matches have become delightful to watch while Lin Dan often struggles and sometimes scrapes through his matches against lesser opponents, with only occasional flashes of brilliance.

Lin Dan's number one enemy is indeed himself: lack of motivation, complacency and somewhat laziness; cannot blame him really, spoiled by too much success, all the praises, adulations,accolades and rewards as well as constant media attention. On the other hand, Lin Dan is already widely regarded as 'The Greatest of All Time' but if he wants to continue playing for many more years as he said he would following the footsteps of the exemplary Peter Gade, then he better takes his game more seriously until he retires;otherwise,he might just start losing to Chong Wei and other lesser players more frequently, thereby denting his image as "The God of Badminton". I am sure all great champions want to leave on a high with their reputation and image intact.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Japan Open sponsored by Yonex so cannot give it a miss? How about Li Ning the sponsor for the China Masters and all the badminton racquets used by the Chinese players ( I thought so but I could be wrong), so dare Lin Dan not take part in it.

I was surprised to learn from you he skipped the China Masters last year, how would his Chinese fans react should he do so again this time?:rolleyes:

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

lack of motivation? may be for the lesser tournaments but definitely not the majors.
    complacency? don't think so.
    laziness? you are having a laugh, right? or are you referring to Lin Dan not playing that many tournaments as he used to be? he is just more selective since 2008.

20. eaglehelang

LCW & Msian team are sponsored by Yonex. Same as China players are sponsored by Li Ning. China fans can watch LCW during China SS Premier later in the year.