How is the choosing a string related to racquet stiffness ?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by sanredrose, Oct 13, 2013.

1. sanredrose

sanredrose Regular Member

Engineer
    I play in a local badminton club in San Diego. I bought a new racquet - Yonex Voltric Z-Force. My stringer told me that for extra-stiff racquets i should use repulsive strings like Nanogy 98 or BG66 Ultimax. I have been using BG65Ti for almost 2 years and i am quite comfortable with it. I am open to trying a new string but would like to get expert opinion from badminton central members before trying it.

Can someone explain how is the stiffness of the racquet shaft related to the repulsive nature of the string ?

If my stringers logic is correct, then what kind of string should one use for a racquet with stiff rating of medium or flex ?

One of the competitive players in my club suggested i should try BG-80. I tried a Voltric 80 racquet strung with BG-80 and the string felt like a brick wall. Could this be a bad stringer job or is it just that string is not suitable for me ?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

What is your current racket?

Usually we try to mitigate stiff shaft with medium feel strings, as per his suggestions.

3. sanredrose

Engineer
    I currently play with Voltric 70 with BG65Ti string @ 24 lbs (strung in Aug 2013). The new racquet which i have purchased is Voltric Z Force.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Usually with new rackets, i don't like to switch strings or tension... for the purpose of comparison, I keep them the same. So that's what you should do if you're still experimenting and searching.

But be warned that a hard feel string with stiff shaft is gonna be quite demanding. You'll notice it especially in your backhand clears.

5. sanredrose

Engineer
    Visor - Thanks for your input. Since my VT70 is a medium flex racquet, i am guessing BG65Ti works fine. So for VT-ZF what string would you recommend ?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

The two he suggested are good medium feel, highly repulsive strings. Nbg98 better because bg66um looses tension after a month.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    There's no such rule for strings. It's all down to preference. By all means try what your coach suggests, but as a stringer, I aways suggest playing with what YOU prefer and what YOU feel comfortable with.

The racquet is an extension of your arm, do you wear a glove on your hand that others like or what YOU like?

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's unlikely to be a bad job - BG80 is one of the hardest (if not the hardest) strings ever made.

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    What happen if the string you prefer and feel comfortable is wrong. In an ideal world, you are right but we are not. I have been seeing many people playing with an extra stiff, high tension, large grip rackets. I try to explain to them the effects on them by using the wrong rackets but 9.999 out of 10 would not listen. Their standard answer is I feel better with this racket. I believe the reason they don't want to listen is I am not a pro. But sometime how you feel may not be right. I agree with VISOR that some sort of guide line has to be published educating people.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Agree 1000%.

I've also seen my share of intermediate players with braces on their shoulder, elbow, wrist all wrapped up because they're playing with tensions,strings (and head heavy and stiff rackets) beyond their abilities, accumulating injuries because they refuse to listen and change. Oh well, you can only help so much.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i am not an expert, but i have had experience with the strings you mentioned above. i find the bg80 a pretty powerful string. your friend's vt80 with bg80 might feel like a brick because the tension might be quite a bit higher. your stringer is correct that nbg98 and bg66u is quite repulsive. his opinion of using a repulsive string maybe because he's had customers purchasing the vtzf and strung with whatever string then realized it's too stiff. some thinks that vtzf is stiff, and to me, my personal opinion is that it's a medium stiff racket. so for me, even with a stiff string like vs850 i can still generate some power, but of course i would be able to generate more power with nbg98, which is the string i'm currently experimenting with different rackets.

the stiffer the racket shaft, the harder it is to generate power unless you have the technique down. unfortunately, string selection is pretty much trial and error, and it's quite personal. an idiot like me will take forever to figure out which string suits my play, and even then i am still switching from one string to another, and also readjusting the tension due to my lack of strength.

12. sanredrose

Engineer
    Thanks for your comment. I haven't strung my new racquet yet. Today i have a chance to play and i have asked my friend to bring his racquets (VT 80 + BG80, Adi Zero Pro + NBG98 + VT ZF + NBG98). I will try them once more and update the thread with my opinion.

Thanks to all for their comments and valuable information.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm afraid I still don't agree. Lets stick with strings for now, racquet, tensions and grips aside. If someone has a preference for a particular string (and feel comfortable) it suggests they have tried others, but prefer this string. However if they haven't tried other strings, then they cannot possibly have a preference as they only tried one string.

Ok. So now, how do you tell if a string is wrong for someone?

The answer is you can't. There isn't a "wrong" string. A beginner can use BG80 just like the pros if they want. No problem with that. To a beginner it doesn't matter as they are not developed enough to tell the difference.

However as the player develops, they will naturally begin to think about how they would like their equipment to perform and become more sensitive to smaller differences in their equipment. I'm guessing (correct if I'm wrong) that this is the stage where the OP is at... trying to find out how to define his/her wants from their equipment. This may be string type, tension, racquet, grip, shoes etc.

When it comes to the feel of a string, no one can tell you what you feel is best for you. Because everybody's preferences and wants are different.

You may note that I've not talked about tension here. Tension is a different kettle of fish. It is largely down to preference, but also ability/physique. So when it comes to tension, I do offer some ball park guidance if I know the player well enough. Which could cause injury if too high - I know this first hand. Similarly for racquets.

But when it comes to strings, it is purely personal preference. All strings are a compromise in one way or another. And it is down to the preference of the player to prioritize what they want from the string. Be that repulsion, durability, sound, roughness etc etc...

If a player came to me and said they want to try a string that feels hard and rough, I may suggest BG80. If a player came to me and said what is the best string for my head heavy and stiff VTZF... I wouldn't have a clue.... as this is down to personal preference. There may be a common consensus but that doesn't mean it is best for that player.

Although this probably isn't that useful for the OP who I guess just wants to know which string to use, my suggestion would be to try different strings yourself and form your own opinion. You are your best guide here.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Absolutely right. That's the best advice right there.

Each player needs to try a selection of strings to know how each feels, and then make their own mind up as to what is best for their game.

15. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    string for zf

Currently have BG80 on ZF and NBG98 on my other ZF. They feel so dissimilar to each other that switching between the two between games is unsettling . If you are accustomed to 'normal' feeling strings then the hard tactile BG80 can seem just wrong. Or like a brick wall , as you said. But get used to it and you may find that it makes everything else feel vague and imprecise . I've been meaning to cut mine off for at least a month, because it is way past its best, but then I'll try it for a few games and be amazed at the sheer feeling of directness it gives. Like you , I also have a VT70, but whenever I try and use it I'm apalled by the flimsy, soft and weak feel of a racquet I once loved......

16. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I'm not sure about shaft stiffness and strings. But I found that using lower tensions help with head-light rackets.

17. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Would like to ask your opinion on the following: at what stage does a player has the ability to feel different tensions, strings, stiffness,etc.

18. sanredrose

Engineer
    Had one hell of a time trying new strings :) !!

I should say i was quite lucky today. My friend brought some goodies for me to try ! Let me explain in detail. We were using DNA red shuttlecocks (speed 77) which have been previously used for match play. All the racquets are 4U-G4 type.

1. VT70 + BG80 @ 24 lbs : This was one powerful experience. Smashes and clears were the strong point. I felt so elated, i failed to play anything other than smashes. After settling down, i tried the drops and net shots. This string is very similar to BG65Ti, but however i am getting a better feel for the bird on this string.

2. VT ZF + NBG 98 @ 24 lbs : This was a very unique experience. Clears were sailing out quite easily and the net shots were very good. The weird experience came with the smashes and drop shots. String feels quite slippery and the drop shots end up at the net. Smashes felt like they were bouncing off the string bed.

3. VT ZF + BG65 @ 24 lbs : This was a routine affair. Clears were falling within the court lines. Net shots, drops & smashes were fine. It certainly lacks the repulsive touch which i saw in NBG98 and BG80, but seemed like an all round performer.

4. VT ZF + BG68Ti @ 24 lbs : Cross court slice drops, net shots, net kills, smashes and drives felt wonderful. Clears were spot on the line. This one felt the best on VT ZF.

I played a singles game with racquet no 2 and 4. I won the game which i played with racquet 4. Lost the one which i played with racquet 2. I played a doubles game with racquet no 1 and won the game in straight sets. The game felt quite good, but i am playing on thursday & saturday as well and my friend has agreed to let me use his racquets on those days as well. Currently i am leaning towards BG68Ti for VT-ZF and also thinking on replacing the BG65Ti on my VT70 with BG80.

Folks were spot on with their comments. The VT80 which i tried out last time was strung at 26 lbs and that tension is too high for me. I play my best with string tension of 23 or 24 lbs.

Will keep you all posted with further updates .....

19. sanredrose

Engineer
    You were spot on my friend. The VT80 was strung at 26 lbs. No wonder i found it difficult to play with it.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Since you don't string over 24lbs, you should try Zymax 62. Get your friend to try it too.

Control, power, sound, feel. Everything is there.

You won't regret it. And there'll be no turning back. :D