Difference between Yonex Mavis 350 and 500

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by gardkarlsen, Jun 16, 2008.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    No cooler,

The problem is that instead of reading what i write you make faulty guesses about what I am thinking :rolleyes:

But this has been brought up by other forum members before, so it's nothing new (and off-topic as well) ;)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=126491&postcount=33

/Twobeer

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I knew this thread would get out of control with the "feather vs Plastic" postings. If you don't like playing with feather or plastic shuttlecocks then don't play badminton:p:p:p

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hey, i did try my best to stay in topic.
    As any truly good players would tell u, and discussed in BF before, it is his/her skills that make up a good player, not the equips. If the good players bat around with a 10 cents plastic thingy, it is still the individual skill that determine the winner. If both side use similar equips and shuttles, all those supposed equipment characteristic differences are balanced for both side.

it was really fun last nite after being absence of playing mavis for 4+ months. I was worrying that i might lost some mavis touch but glad i didn't.
    I played MD, XD and and just 1 game of MS. All doubles were 3 gamers because of me getting adapted to mavis 300 again.

MD: 17-21, 21-15, 21-7, etc
    XD: 15-21, 21-13, 21-10, etc
    MS: lost badly 11-21 on first game to a lower player. Singles takes longer to adjust i guess, also i was just coming off playing doubles.

there was a group of 4 playing feathers by themselves all nite. After 2 hrs, there are 2 piles of used feather shuttles litter the floor beside each post, numbering about 2 doz of feathers LOL. I played 2.5 hrs of mavis 300, the same mavis 300 LOL. Hmm, let see. 24 feather X 1.5$ ea. /4 players = $9/player. My mavis is free because it was provided by the club. I had just as much fun as those feather players and i didn't have to waste time testing each shuttle. Imagine, those guys testing 24 feather shuttles while i get to keep on playing non stop. Being curious, I went over to the piles and counted 5 brands of feather in that piles. Poor them, so inconsistent playing with multi grade multi brand shuttles, no wonder they chop up so many LOL. Those 4 are at my level, i wouldnt call them noobs

#83 cooler, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Just a quick question, has anyone tried Carlton F1 or F2 nylon shuttlecock? They are the top plastic shuttlecocks from carlton.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    And then you continue a lenghty off-topic ramble about plastic vs. feathers, instead of sticking to the topic.. :confused: :confused:

/Twobeer

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
  7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i wasn't detailing plastic vs feater comparision like in the feather vs plastic thread. I was just blogging my experience from yesterday.
    u r welcome to share with us your playing experience with Mavis over here.

8. butch

butch Regular Member

This one interests me..As a fact, we are not used to playing plastic shuttlecocks and its true that the game is getting expensive using those feathers (but cost wont be much a factor tho as long as one is enjoying the game). But if theres a way that one could cut down the cost without affecting MUCH the quality of the game, then y not? As to the plastic shuttles, i havent seen/nor tried yet the mavis brand thats being discussed here but seen the CARLTON brand. Which one can you suggest a bit closer to feather? I might try one tonight.;)

9. kenkclam

kenkclam New Member

student
    this is an interesting topic

Is there any test or review available? to compare 300/350 and 500
    Can we use machine to hit the ball with constant force and measure the distance they travel?

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Of course the quality of the game and the game itself is very different between plastics and feathers. If you choose plastics for economic reason then by all means go ahead, but you will not have anywhere the type of quality of the game that only feathers can give.
    Asians are poorer than North Americans yet almost no Asian, even those who are beginners, will play with plastics except on the beaches and in country parks. Herein lies the difference. Asians know the break-even point of plastics vs feathers and they have overwhelmingly chosen : feathers for the courts and plastics for the beaches. This is I believe why North Americans just don't make the cut in competitive badminton because of a large portion of its "raw materials" are being fed on a diet of plastics which ill-prepares them for the real world of badminton.

11. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

Not a question whether North Americans are or are not poorer than Asians. Its a simple question of what is available. No matter how rich we are, or how easy it is to order online, shipping batches of feather birdies month after month is a hassle. Why bother with that when plastic birdies are readily available at a cheaper price. Yes, we do not enjoy the game as much, but the fact is, Asians live in a super saturated market of feather, and North Americans are the exact opposite.

Simple question of why Canadians import Japanese beef to eat. Its such a hassle, especially through immigration, and not to mention the high cost. The only reason would be because Japanese beef tastes much better, but ordering beef every month is such a hassle. While on the other hand, Canadian beef is readily available at the supermarket outside my house, at a cheaper price and convenience as well. Ultimately, what enters our mouth comes out the same way, which is besides the point in this huge metaphor.

I believe the Carlton F1's are durable and comparable to Mavis 350's from what I heard, although I have not personally yet been able to try the F1's. F1's are pretty rare here. Half a dozen of Mavis 350's may cost as much as a dozen medium grade feather birdies from MBS. and imo, mavis 350's medium break too easily, both cork and skirt.

#91 ray_mond, Sep 7, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I like this metaphor :)

a good goose-feather is like Japanese Kobe beef, and a Mavis 350 is what comes out in the other end :p

/Twobeer

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Is simple market economics.. If the players are not skilled or have enough interest invested in the game, they market demand for high-quality shuttle will be low..

The comparison´analogy made with beef is moot, I think, as the cost difference is extreme between good quality domestic beef and imported top-quality japaneese beef.
    Each individual feather shuttle is actually less expensive than the plastic shuttles, so the metaphor is not really comparable at all.

/Twobeer

14. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

fyi most of Japanese beef is actually grown here in California, and shipped where ever. Its Japanese owned, but California grown ;)

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I guess you mean japanese "style" beef.. it is not really japaneese beef if its not from Japan, right :p

But I see you point :)

That makes the analogy with the beef and shuttles even more inaccurate :) :)

Also check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef (off topic) :D

/T

#95 twobeer, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is misleading. The best beef in the world, namely Matsusaka beef, Mishima beef, and Kobe beef are pure Japanese beef. There is not a single gram of anything American except Americans want to pass off their inferior beef as Kobe beef. They are so famous that American companies, without an iota of shame, have come out with cheap copycats from American beef and Angus beef. Names like Mishima Ranch beef and Matsusaka beef and Kobe beef, all American beef which are very poor cousins to the real Japanese beef, are trying to do what "fake" Yonex racquets are trying to do to Yonex.

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I've had a particularly nasty week at the office... until I read this :D

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I'd argue that this too is misleading :p

What's the basis for declaring one variety of beef as 'the best beef in the world'?
    Merely because the Japanese say so? :rolleyes:
    Merely because someone says so? :rolleyes:

Who is this judge that has tasted every variety of beef there is? ;)

-----------
    Finally, what's all this beef about beef in this Mavis thread? :eek:

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

huh? why are u guys talking about beef here??:p

20. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    ok, talking about beef.......
    RM400/steak, good taste, good texture
    RM40/steak, good taste, good texture (almost same to the RM400 beef)
    RM16/steak, good taste, good texture, excellent value for money (almost same to RM40 beef)

but, at least i did eat that once and not paid by me......:D:D:D