Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Kwun didn't say BAM was not a failure. Only that attributing a coach who played a major part in training Ken Momota has the freedom to choose where he wants to go.

In fact, the best person to produce world champions at junior level should be Yap Kim Hock.

2. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

He said clearly he dont judge BAM as failure. So if he dont judge as failure am i wrong saying he judge as a NOT failure ? I dont know what is your intention but it does sound clear to me. I rest my case on that.

About former coach yap kim hock. Ironically the example that you gave is one of the best example to prove how poor is BAM in decision making.
    Malaysia has a lot passionate and genius players and coaches. It all boils down to the biggest organization in the country to make sure that the country is still in the big fishes games.

But as you can see, BAM did not bother to show any interest to develop the young talents especially on women department. Japan and indo is a good example how well they did their job as the organization of the country.

Indo did not rely on single organization or academy but they did an excellent job letting the players to play for their country. We can say it's almost zero politics about that. No favouritism or whatsoever.

Japan had improve so much under the guide of park joo bong, a former BAM coach as Yap too. Both men and women department show a massive improvement every year.

So again, BAM can be judge as NOT failure ? Please open your eyes and go to the states or local tournament. Look how all the new talent had been suppressed the Bukit Jalil's player. Mostly women department had the worst casualties because of this.

In media, BAM only show interest in mens department. Nobody criticize about Uber squad after the Thomas squad achieve their target.

This is mere politic. Only show and talk what citizens want to see and hear.

Again, this thing has been said countless time how BAM tried so hard to cover up the not so good news.

I have no intention to lambast BAM to the ground. I am one of thr passionate badminton enthusiast who wants to see this country's badminton is brought up to the next level. If BAM keep on doing what they are doing for the past 2 decades, believe me, we might end up have another FAM or takraw organization.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    yap kim hock is a real talent, he has produced so many World junior champs...

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

He said don't judge BAM as a failure referring to the context of that coach only. He is did not say "BAM is not a failure". There is a difference.

Clearly, all those other reasons you have so eloquently described are better indicators of poor management and development of BAM - not one coach who decided to go overseas for a coaching contract.

6. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

If BAM did not fail, try explain why misbun, frost, park joo bong, rexy,yap kim hock and more coaches had left and somehow when they go outside, they did achieve something rather than staying in BAM ?

More questions will arise if we look at the womens department. Seriously, there's only 2 thing. Fail or not fail, which is succeed. BAM fail and coach izwan had succeed. Simple as that.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Seriously, are you not understanding what I wrote? In the context of one coach who coached Momota, you cannot judge the BAM organisation as a failure on this single coach alone.

However, you can make the judgement on the accumulation of other factors that have been clearly described.

8. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    Apologies if because of of my quote, it's become talking point. i don't expect it will be the argument point.

I have a few things playing in my mind the moment we lost to Japan during the Thomas Cup Final.

1st, we saw a few improvements on our players such on our 2nd double, TWK/GVS who showed a very consistent game play during the tournament. Goes to CWF as well. Bravo to them.

2nd, Our 3rd single, Liew Darren, first and foremost, i don't put the blame on him. He has tried his best but unfortunately, he cannot give the winning point. The person the we should blame is BAM itself. Before the tournament we already knew about the current level of LD's gameplay which is not up to the standard that he used to be.Still, BAM gave the automatic slot to him as a part of the delegates to go to Thomas Cup. Don't they realize that we do have other talented single player better than LD? Misbun Ramdan, Tan Chung Seang which is both of their ranking higher than LD? ( don't tell me ranking is not important)

3rd, as for coach Izuan, if Japan was not the champion, did anyone realized that we have such talented coach? Most of the time BAM only talking about the ex players who has the 'big' names. No one even care if Izuan is existed. This is the point where i'm referring to my statement, BAM is suck .... sleeping all the time .... biased ....

#2048 hellboy84, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  9. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Yep. Simple as that

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There was only one singles place up for grabs in the playoffs. Daren didn't play in it. Can't remember if TCS took part in it either. Since the rankings of all of those is very much lower than Chong Wei Feng, on hindsight, Daren Liew should have been made to also prove his place on the squad in the playoffs. I do agree with that. BAM have a history of protecting their ownplayers.

Personally, I would have played Goh Soon Huat in the final on the basis he had to fight for his place twice to get on the squad. But I appreciate that these are also very tough decisions to make.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Based on the situation and atmosphere then, I don't think GSH can handle the pressure and may crumble even if his skills are better than LD.

He didn't impressed me while playing against Hwang Jong Soo in the group stage and Ueda is of a different class.

12. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I am still slightly annoyed now as to why Darren Liew made it to the team, despite having a lower ranking than all the other singles players, especially GSH, TCS and also Ramdan whom have to fight it out for the last spot. His form was also very suspect, as evident in his losses to the German and Indian 3rd singles, whom he can actually beat very easily.

13. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Its all favouritism. And the squad had pay it dearly.

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    So far except for lcw, there's still no one who can reach top 10 as yet I think. 2 years time, japan will still be the favourites. ;) But a good achievement for reaching finals for Malaysia. ;) Korea and Indonesia also depends heavily on doubles. ;) China is trying to rebuild the team. ;)

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If Goh SH won his match vs Korea's 3rd MS, maybe Rashid would have selected Goh. But Goh lost in a match where Msia had already won the tie. If Goh cant settle his nerves in a comfy position, the high pressure position of winning the Cup is even worse.

Though I do support selection trials. Goh SH's selection cant be questioned like Liew Daren cos Goh beat everyone else who came to top the trials. Ramdan or Iskandar(Iskandar went as sparring partner) would have been better choice in my opinion cos they play better under pressure but well, they lost to Goh

16. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Liew Daren as 3rd singles wasn't the problem. Anyone in that position would have lost as well, because our 3rd singles is weak. Only CWF and LDR so far has ever played tournaments which they did well before in the world stage, so there is no surprise that they are chosen.

17. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    the main issue is, before Thomas Cup final, we all knew LCW is the only one reliable....
    no hope on MS 2 or MS 3, just that CWF produced some of his best play enroute to the Final
    and we raise our expectation, the CWF and LDR we saw in Final game is the CWF and LDR we
    knew.....

#2057 danielwong, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  18. visor

visor Regular Member

So cruel of them... to raise our expectations... [​IMG]

19. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    CWF did fine earlier to bring us into Final....just he cannot bring out the same performance plus nervous...but what we achieved is consider ok considering we only aim SF spot

20. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    Err ... don't you think that BAM need to choose the best player base on their current performance? Liew Darren performance dropped after he won the France Open in 2012 (if i'm not mistaken).
    I'm not so sure why, but i think Ramdan should have the opportunity to be a part of the Thomas squad.

The same reason i believed why Japan let Takuma Ueda played for the 3rd single instead of Sho Sasaki .... by right, SS is more experience in the international tournaments.

Just my 2cents point