Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Since Asia players is dominating the badminton sports, ABC is certainly a big title. Would u deny it?

When u win the European Champions in badminton sports, i would say it's nothing because almost all good badminton players are from asia country.

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I am just stating the obvious.
    Its a fact that LCW have yet to win the AE & WC.
    Its a fact that both the AE & WC are major titles.

And what are you rambling about that LCW's efforts are not recognised??

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Thought u quoted all mas shuttlers, not only singles...

** what abt Foo Kok Keong?:p since u are using 'it is all downhill'??

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i say they...= mas player...i asking for jagoh kampung question...:rolleyes:

#904 limsy, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Even if LCW were not to win a major title, LCW is a great player who will be remembered for a long time along with other major titlists like Taufik and Lin Dan, and non-major-titlists like Peter Gade.

They are remembered not by looking into the book of records and seeing their names listed as champions of Olympics and Worlds, but by the awe which badminton fans beheld them with. Ji Xinpeng is an Olympic champion, but since he did not awe people so, few people even remember how he looks like or how he plays. One could envisage flipping through the book of records and going, wow Alan Budi Kusuma, Ji Xinpeng? who's that?, wow Taufik, wow Lin Dan, what a rivalry with Lee Chong Wei.

I am getting ahead of myself. Some good playing days is still ahead for LCW. He may suck so much in these few years that even X_Ball would consign him to the dustbin of history. I hope not, and it don't think it will come to that.

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Poor Ji Xinpeng. He is always used as the example.

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Well, let me correct you then. Countries such as Denmark, Sweden & England have been successful in the WC & Olympics.

No disrespect to the ABC or European Championships. I dont think they are considered as major titles in the same category as say the Olympics, WC and AE.

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Just because some European countries have won in WS and Olympics does not mean that Europe can compare with Asia. Asia is far ahead.

I don't consider European Championships as a major title because Asian players are missing.

I also don't consider ABC as a major title because top Asian players routinely go missing. It just happens so. But if Asian players take ABC seriously, this tournament would whoop Europe's behind, and would not be far behind Olympics and WC.

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Foo Kok Keong?? I like the man for his fighting spirit. But was he a good shuttler? I would say he was average. Yes, he won the ABC.

My benchmark for comparing the shuttlers were Morten Frost, who won the AE at aged 29, Peter Gade who is still winning SS titles in his 30s.

10. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    For sure ABC is not at the same level with Olympics, WC and AE. Thats for sure.

But when FKK can still able to be the champion of ABC at the age of 32. It would certainly a great achievement that made by a shuttler from mas in which, not in the late 20's but at the early 30's.:cool: And history already prove to you that yours ' all mas shuttlers will go downhill in the late 20's.

* Whether u accept or not, ABC is still consider, for me, a big title simply because i believe, the best players in the world NOWADAYS, are all in Asia.

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

But like it or not, they have won it. Thats a fact. And Malaysia despite the fact that badminton is more popular, government funding etc etc is still showing a zero when it comes to the Olympic gold or WC.

Spot on!

And as for that 'if' thingy, I agree with you if only ...

12. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Yes. Agreed!!:D:D

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    I am not saying that FKK is a great player. What i am trying to let u know that is, an uncle at 30's still able to surprise us. History have prove yours statement wrong, sorry to say that.:p:p

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think hcyong summed up the ABC very nicely. And I quote the man; "I also don't consider ABC as a major title because top Asian players routinely go missing. It just happens so. But if Asian players take ABC seriously, this tournament would whoop Europe's behind, and would not be far behind Olympics and WC".

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I thought this conversation is about Asia v Europe. You should resist taking a dig at Malaysia at every opportunity.

Yes, the word "if" is created to explain this kind of situation. Quit making fun of it so much.

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Then in the same vein, you may as well include Ong Ewe Hock because at 29 he won the MO in 2001:D

Question is do you consider FKK & OEH as good as Morten Frost or Peter Gade in ther late 20s/early30s?

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

And FKK won this ABC ;)

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

In the same vein, can I say the same to you with your; 'Just because some European countries have won in WS and Olympics does not mean that Europe can compare with Asia. Asia is far ahead'.

Should I tell you that you too should resist taking a dig at Europe and stop being sour grapes and all?

Can we have a meaningful discussion and not be so sensitive? And by the way, as a Malaysian, I believe I have the right to state the obvious. You just need to grow up a little and accept them facts which is we have never won an Olympic gold or WC.

Again, lets not be so sensitive. Like you have said 'if only' blah blah & blah

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    FKK is not a great player. (He is a good player who will be remembered for his never-say-die spirit, for his goldfish-like face gulping for air and his shoelace-tying delaying tactics.) I deem it an insult to Frost and Gade to compare them with FKK. He is a bit comparable to Kenneth Jonassen, I think.

But Dato Asbullah's main point is ... here is a Malaysian singles player who played at his peak even to his late 20s / early 30s ... of course his peak is no where near Frost and Gade.

I want to add that even WCH is not too far off his peak in his early 30s.

That said, I don't think LCW will play at his current level in his 30s, though I would be glad to be wrong.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think a meaningful discussion is impossible. *hibernate*