Fake Yonex strings on eBay...Caution!!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dogpile, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Well,sure if u count it in reel..but if some people just wanna buy the 10m packages..like the current case,i dont think u would save so much.2ndly,u also have to take the risks if that's a fake one,unlike when u buy it directly in the store,where u can first examine n pay if u are satisfied with it.

The other way u can try is to buy it from a trust-able online store..which i believe their price would also somehow cheaper than the market price.

2. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    it's only because on one of the bags, the yonex sign is like the earlier posters...slanted Yonex...but only barely...and i am slightly biased and neurotic after hearing about all this :p:D

3. akasanva

akasanva Regular Member

Not sure you understood what I wrote.

Normally Reels should be cheaper that 10m packages. But reels in Belgian shops are much more expensive than 21 X10 m packages.

Another thing is that it's almost impossible to find BG66 and BG85 in Belgium.

4. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

Just to clarify,... my Fake BG70's were bought from Ebay user [​IMG]lynnl0304 and the shop is called PromSports.

Could some one be ever so kind and post up what features the GENUINE yonex string packs should have/should not have.:)

5. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i think all the stuff from promsports are fake lol, i've gotten jerseys and they're completely different from the same design ones that i've seen =P

6. monticore

monticore Regular Member

was just about to buy some from promsports , glad i check here first. i decided to grab some from eric at rkep(squashstore) seems to have a good reputation here for grips and rackets and his prices seem to be pretty good.

cory

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    The biggest give away the BG80 strings at the start were fake there was the rubbish print on the 80 from BG 80.

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I don't in anyway condone fake goods, but would be interesting to see how they actually perform against the real mccoy. Anyone tried them?

9. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

R20190 = yeah, I just tried it...the feels are worst than original one..so I decided to cut away and replace with genuine BG66 UM.
    After that, I learned some advice from a Yonex salesman about differences of genuine and fake one.. I won't be fooled again..

10. himongi

himongi Regular Member

I'd like to reiterate some of the concerns for fake strings on eBay. If it is too good to be true, it likely is.

Avoid Silverprophet47. I recently strung my rackets with the Yonex Nanogy 95 on 2 rackets here at Tad's in Vancouver. Feedback on both sets of strings were that there were serious concerns of their authenticity.

GRRRR! Now I get all the fun dealing with the seller... will provide update as it comes...

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Ok I think I've just strung with some fake strings I bought on ebay about 9 months ago. I thought it's probably worth posting a few things I've noticed with them so others can take note and build a thread of people's findings.

First thing is that the packaging is exactly the same as a genuine set, not like the original poster's photos, the yonex logo and print is very good and the strings look the same and doesn't have the YONEXX print. So basically it's no difference in appearance that I can see.

Pre-strung the racquet and started to tension. First thing I noticed was that my clamp didn't grip it very well. It slipped through the clamp as I strung the mains - which doesn't normally happen. Second thing is the fingers of the clamp left imprints on the string quite easily, i.e. it seemed to squash a lot easier.

But the reason that I think they are fake is that when I tried to tension the mains at only 24.5lb they snapped before I reached the tension, probably at around 22-23lb or so. This has never happened before and I always take care of my strings when stringing, making sure not to graze the string.

12. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

I've strung 3 rackets last week for one of my badminton playmate with his self provided NBG 98. Two findings, 1) like what R20190 said it slipped on my Wise 2086 that never happened before. I have to insert a card to help me finish the jobs. 2) I normally use 8.3-8.5m of string per racket cut from the reel and usually I have 8-10cm left on each end for 1 piece stringing, with package I used to cut 1.5m before I started. I did the same thing for these 3 packages and funny enough the left over strings is more than 0.5m each end. So disregard the package, the look of the string I can affirmatively certify that they are FAKE. And yes they are from Ebay the guy told me he paid roughly 8 bucks each.

13. isa woo

isa woo Regular Member

boys, you may want to check this video out. It tells you the difference between real and fake.

I had tried fake strings once. It was terrible and broke in no time. All buyers beware not to get fooled by bad sellers.