Malaysian Juniors 2008

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by erin_hakkinen, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You're missing my point, eagle :eek:

If Koo Kien Keat & Ng Hui Lin must struggle to win even locally, how is this pair going to get anywhere near an international title?

Koo Kien Keat is no Lee Yong Dae to be consistently playing both MD and XD (much less consistently winning either event).
    If BAM attempts such heroics, KKK will draw blanks in both MD and XD.

Malaysia needs to a groom a new XD combination specifically for London 2012 :)

2. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

from the records, KKK/NHL beat Anthony Clark and Donna Kellogg in
    round 2 of HKO
    and dragged LYD/LHY to 3 sets in CO..
    if this results is not impressive..i dunno what is good in this combo...

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha...uncle oldhand...if they struggle...mean mas have another close xd pair behind them...;)...I SO HOPE CWF CAN BEAT OR ATLEAST MAKE LCW STRUGLE TONIGHT...U KNOW???:rolleyes:

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LOL, aiyoooo, we both missing each other's points.

1) errr, how in the world are KKK/NHL struggling locally when they have won both Penang & Johor Open (without much opposition from the other XD pairs from what is seen during the final matches), and most probably will win GP Finals played today ?:confused::confused:

2) Well, other countries male players are also playing both MD & XD. These two years is for testing out period . Who knows, if they hit off well, KKK might focus on XD only for 2012. The thing is, the juniors havent caught up.

3) a) Msia already tried to do that with the 2007 AJC & WJC : TWK/WKW, LKW/NHL. For a spell, TWK/WKW only played XD, out early rounds. LKW/NHL fared better, they won 2008 Vietnam IC.
    b) The then 3rd pair, Razif/Sook Chin, was runner up in Vietnam IC. But recent months they have been stagnant.
    c) Currently the new combo of Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying is a pair to watch. They gave credible performances in Msia IC & Johor Open.

CPS with Ooi Yu Hang beat a senior pair in WC 2007, has good fighting spirit. Too bad his XD partner, Ooi left BAM. Then his MD partner had to retire early due to kidney failure (Chang HP). Lui YIng has come back from her leg injury (in October) with good performances. They might overtake Razif/Sook Chin, TWK/WKW next year.

They tried with the players playing 1 dept, didnt work out. Then now it's 2 dept, for some, even better results, so.........

In a nutshell, they have been & are trying to find a quality XD combo for 2012 all the while, the latest being the reshuffle of XD pairs in MO 2009. Msia just starting to focus more on XD, takes a while to build up the squad, lots of youngsters to work with.

#484 eaglehelang, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I grant that you do have a point here :)

However, we need to consider the match conditions as well.

a) I'm not discounting the win against Clark & Kellogg but it's all too clear that Donna Kellogg is past her prime.

b) Within the same half-day, Lee Yong-Dae had to play two gruelling matches - the XD against KKK/NHL and the MD against China's He Hanbin & Sun Junjie. (And he won both encounters.) In contrast, Koo Kien Keat's two events were in the different halves of the day.

All said and done, it's still creditable that KKK/NHL took the Koreans to a rubber game :)

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

eagle, I'll respond to just the main point:

Take a look at the scores from the Penang Open 2008:

KKK & NHL beat Mohd Zakry & Nairul Suhada 26-24 21-18
    KKK & NHL beat Tan Wee Kiong & Woon Khe Wei 21-15 24-22

Take a look at the scores from the Johor Open 2008:

KKK & NHL beat Mak Hee Chun & Vivian Hoo 21-17 23-21
    KKK & NHL beat Tan Wee Kiong & Woon Khe Wei 17-21 21-14 21-13
    KKK & NHL beat Ong Jian Guo & Goh Liu Ying 21-11 22-20

Take a look at the scores from the just-concluded National Finals 2008:

KKK & NHL beat Ong Jian Guo & Goh Liu Ying 19-21 21-10 21-17
    KKK & NHL beat Mohd Zakry & Nairul Suhada 25-23 21-16
    KKK & NHL beat Tan Wee Kiong & Woon Khe Wei 22-20 21-19

I have every reason to believe that the highlighted scores clearly show that Koo Kien Keat & Ng Hui Lin are 'struggling to win even locally' ;)

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    oldhand...this mean we have few pair that near to koo/ng standard...this is good news...not like u see how lcw won his 7 straight national gp final title...

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Well, that simply means that not one pair has achieved the standard required to win a top international tournament.

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    True...

depends on how u see this situation, is either half full or half empty :cool:

10. eaglehelang

Up to you lor, you have higher expectation of them. I didnt even expect them to win the GP FInals, KKK is supposed to be down with fever.
    In MD, KKK with TBH didnt even win the 3 local circuits, only Penang. CTF/LWW won Johor, youngsters CPS/LKW won the GP FInals.

When i said "without much opposition", is cos I watched the matches when RTM 1 showed it. In Penang,KKK did not go full force, if he did, the scoreline would be different. It was like he was toying with TWK/WKW and still the youngsters couldnt take the chance.
    RTM didnt show XD finals for Johor Open.

Struggle or no struggle, KKK/NHL won all 3, in Johor & Penang with KKK also playing MD till finals. That speaks for itself.

As stated earlier, internationally KKK/NHL's results are better than the other Msia pairs (minus KKK/WPT,they wouldnt be paired permanently) so at the moment, who else have we got, that's what I mean. Next year will be interesting, we shall see.

International : wah, you expect them to win SS or GP GOld titles already,LOL :D. Not yet lah, this department is still development stage.

#490 eaglehelang, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  11. eaglehelang

2008/12/13
    Khim Wah's patience rewards him again

[​IMG]
    Khim Wah wants to try and qualify for the 2012 London Olympics in the mixed and men’s doubles events.

LIM Khim Wah's adolescent years were almost nomadic as he was constantly on the move from the age of six when his family moved from Penang to Kulim.

When Khim Wah turned 13, he moved to Alor Star as he joined the Kedah squad, and stayed with coach Sam Diyono.

Two years later, he was off to the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) but the years spent away from his family not only turned him into a street-smart character but also instilled in him the patience to overcome challenges.

Now 19, Khim Wah proved his worth when he partnered Ng Hui Lin to clinch the World Junior mixed doubles title in Auckland, New Zealand last year.

Unfortunately, his career has somewhat stagnated since then.
    Khim Wah's regular partner in the men's doubles is Mak Hee Chun and the pair have won two national junior titles (in 2005 and 2006) and two bronze medals in the 2006 and 2007 World Junior Championships.

Hee Chun was eligible to play in this year's Asian and World Junior Championships and partnered Kok Siang and this left Khim Wah without a partner in the senior squad.

His mixed doubles partnership with Hui Lin is also over but Khim Wah remained patient and he is now partnering Wong Pei Tty while he has finally found a permanent partner in Chan Peng Soon for the men's doubles.

"It was really tough as I initially didn't have regular partners in both events but I didn't give up and remained patient. It has always been my character to keep fighting," said Khim Wah in Alor Star yesterday.

"I was fortunate that I could partner Pei Tty in the mixed doubles and my combination with Peng Soon has also clicked.

"My aim is to try and qualify for the 2012 London Olympics with Pei Tty and also try to achieve the same in the men's doubles."

However, Khim Wah's partnership with Peng Soon ends after the National Grand Prix Finals.

Khim Wah-Peng Soon also received the perfect parting gift by winning the men's doubles title when they defeated Goh Wei Shem-Ong Jian Guo 21-14, 19-21, 21-11.

"The National Grand Prix Finals will be the last time I will partner Peng Soon but I'm looking forward to the new combination with Hoon Thien How."

Khim Wah is also aiming to qualify for the World Championships in New Delhi in November with Pei Tty as they are ranked World No 33.

However, qualification won't be easy as Koo Kien Keat-Hui Lin, Razif Latif-Chong Sook Chin and Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei are also gunning for the two spots.

But Khim Wah is a fighter and he is counting on that to taking him through.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2427145/Article/index_html

12. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Saturday December 13, 2008

Doubles triumph gives Khim Wah hopes of bigger things next year

ALOR STAR: National men doubles shuttler Lim Khim Wah will leave Alor Star with new hopes for the future.

Yesterday, the Penangite marked an end to a testing year by finishing as men’s doubles champions with partner Chan Peng Soon in the National Grand Prix Finals at the KBA Hall here yesterday.

The duo beat Goh Wei Shem-Ong Jian Guo 21-14, 20-22, 21-11.

The jovial Khim Wah, who spent most of his younger days polishing up badminton skills in Kulim, will be out to seek new fortunes with two seasoned campaigners Hoon Thien How and Wong Pei Tty in the men’s doubles and mixed doubles events respectively next year.

His partnerships with Peng Soon ended with the GP Finals yesterday.

The 19-year-old Khim Wah is banking on the seniors — Thien How and Pei Tty — to take his game to a greater height.

“My coaches wanted me to try with different partners after I emerged as the world junior mixed doubles champion (with Ng Hui Lin last year),” said Khim Wah.

“I was being tried out more in the mixed doubles. But from next year onwards, they want me to give full attention in both the events.”

Khim Wah will be making his debut with Thien How at the Malaysian Open, which will be held at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Jan 6-11.

“I am determined to do well with Thien How. Currently, we do not have a world ranking and we will try to establish that first,” he said.

His eight-month partnership with Pei Tty has not bore fruits yet — with their best effort being the semi-final’s of the Thailand Open in June.

“She is a mature and experienced player. I hope to learn as much as possible from her.
    Hopefully, together, we will be able to make the cut for next year’s World Championships,” added Khim Wah, who is currently ranked 33rd with Pei Tty.

Meanwhile, rising women doubles player Ng Hui Lin became the star of the tournament when she nailed two national titles.

She took the first title with Koo Kien Keat in the mixed doubles and pulled off her second with Goh Liu Ying in the women’s doubles event.

http://thestar.com.my/services/print...asp&sec=sports

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes....i do agree...koo never go full force in international or local circuit i think...u go for their match state in ts....koo smash just a few time...;)

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    for ur infomation...yee li jin...bjss wd and xd player...have quit baddy and badminton...and now go back to her own state...:crying:

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Wei Feng and fellow juniors vow to close gap on Chong Wei

ALOR STAR: The outlook looks grim but the national back-up shuttlers led by Chong Wei Feng gave indications that they will eventually catch up with the likes of world No.1 Lee Chong Wei.
    In the recent National Grand Prix Finals in Alor Star, Chong Wei continued his domination in the local circuit by winning a record seventh consecutive national title after beating Wei Feng in the final.
    [​IMG]
    The way the world number one Chong Wei outclassed his opponents showed that there was vast difference in standard between him and the second echelon of players.
    And if nothing is done to narrow the yawning gap, Chong Wei will continue to be the country’s only hope on the international stage.
    But the 21-year-old Wei Feng is determined to step up to the challenge.
    “Currently, we do not have a reliable second singles player to Chong Wei. He is way ahead of everyone else. But I hope to be the country’s second best within a year,” said Wei Feng.
    “Hopefully, I will give Chong Wei the due fight as the second best in the country at the next GP Finals. That will be my personal challenge.”
    Kedahan Wei Feng, who won the Malaysian Games (Sukma) gold in May in Terengganu, has grown in confident following consistent performances in several satellite tournaments this year, which included a famous win over Chen Jin of China in India in April.
    “Hopefully, I will be able to break into the top 32 next year. It will give me a direct entry into Super Series events. I will also try to qualify for next year’s World Championships and SEA Games,” said Wei Feng, currently ranked 66th in the world.
    The 21-year-old Daren and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, 20, are also eyeing breakthrough performances next year.
    Said the world number 138th Daren: “The defeat to Chong Wei showed that I have a lot of catching up to do. I will give myself one year to improve drastically.”
    Arif, who went down to Wei Feng in the quarter-finals, hoped to challenge Chong Wei by 2010.
    “In one and half year, I believe I can narrow the gap with Chong Wei. I am currently not physically strong. I will build on this. Next year, I want to break into the top 30,” added Arif, who is currently lying at the 68th spot.
    Chong Wei noted that youngsters — Chan Kwong Beng and Daren — had defeated seniors — Kuan Beng Hong and Mohd Hafiz Hashim in the group matches.
    “That is a good sign. I hope to see more of that. At the Johor Open, Arif made it to the final. In the GP Finals, it was the turn of Wei Feng. They need to keep up the momentum,” he added

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/12/14/sports/2802231&sec=sports

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Players welcome move to split top junior pairs

ALOR STAR: The men’s doubles final between two junior pairs in the National Grand Prix Finals on Friday was a rare sight.
    But both pairs will not get a chance to see how far their combinations can go.
    The least expected pair of Lim Khim Wah-Chan Peng Soon emerged as the national champions after ending the gallant run of Goh Wei Shem-Ong Jian Guo with a nail-biting 21-14, 20-22, 21-11 win.
    All four players will team up with different partners for the Malaysian Open from Jan 6-11 at the Putra Stadium as national coaches Rexy Mainaky and Rosman Razak experiment with new combinations ahead of the 2012 London Olympic Games.
    The move is welcomed by the juniors. Khim Wah will team up with Mak Hee Chun while Peng Soon will be playing with Mohd Razif Abdul Latif.
    “We are still young and have many years ahead of us. The coaches want us to work together with a new partner. We would not know how it would turn out unless we try it out first.”
    Jian Guo will end his three-year-old partnership with Wei Shem but he is willing to give it a shot.
    “The coaches know best. What’s important now is that Wei Shem and I are feeling more confident with our game.”
    Jian Guo’s new partner is Khoo Chung Chiat while Wei Shem has experienced hand Lin Woon Fui as his other half.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/12/14/sports/2803935&sec=sports

17. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

if i am not mistaken, Wei Shem hair is blonde...:confused::confused:
    or Jian Guo, either one.... aiya, die lar like that...

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    goh hair is gold in colour...well...even one of mas wd also have this...its ok...relax...:p...

19. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

who in wd have that??:confused:

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...well...u might know when u go mo 2009...:p