Which type of shuttlecock for practice?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Stalker, Aug 13, 2002.

?

Which type of shuttlecock for practice?

1. Plastic

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Feather

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

one hard smash is usually all it takes to win a point with plastic. not a good smash, just a hard smash.

if it was a tournament to see who could smash the hardest, then plastic would be great.

2. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Hahaa.. does it involve crumpling up a sheet of A4 pad? :p

Myself, I use plastics 'cause I'm cheap. Getting myself some Mavis 2000's though, the most feathery plastics out there.

3. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

feather for me
    may be the used ones.....

but can't switch back and forward from feather to plastic and plastic back to feather....
    feather feels better

4. Scott_G500

Scott_G500 Regular Member

Student
    I just realised how true this is. Good point!

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    too bad all this talk about plastic shuttle being unplayable by advanced players is just extrapolated trash talk and not based on actual comparison. I always try to observe cases where good feather players in plastic playing situation, and reality is not what some of u make it out to be.

Case in Point.
    Last nite i walk into my club late because i was busy with errands and swing by there because i had to return a strung racket to a plastic player there. I saw a MD match between a pair of feather players against a pair plastic players, mavis 300 to be exact. Sometime these 2 feather players play plastic because they are drop in and that night, they couldn't find another feather pair to play with so they end up playing a pair of our regular mavis players.

Feather players: one age 17 feather trained and competed in jr tournaments,i rate him a solid B level. The other one aged 28 , don't know his training background but have competed in many feather tournaments like alberta series and vining wolff strathmore open. I would rate him a solid B+. Both are very hard smashers, much much harder smasher than the nylon pair players, can even do decent backhand drive and smash. They are 'young' and quick and hit hard.One use AT700 LTD, one use Arc Saber 10. I have played with and against them before, so i am not making things up

Mavis 300 players, club regulars, one age 38, never competed, one aged 47 and he competed in 1 recreational (feather) tournament per year. First guy uses a clone racket of some sort and the older guy uses a 4U At800OF. I rate both are solid B players. I have played with and against them before as well, so i am not making things up.

At the end of the session, i ask the club regular (plastic player) pair what was the result. He told me, 1 game each. The rubber set stop at 14-14 due to closing of the gym. My initial thot was the better level (B+,B) feather pair should have clobbered these old oldies pair too but was surprised the plastic pair held up against supposed better players.

My point is, if these more skilled and harder smashing feather players( B+, B level) could only muster an even score against a pair of older and slower mavis players (B,B), i would say smashing the dumb plastic shuttle for easy win didn't help them at all. If u think u can clobber a plastic player just by smashing it harder than them, you should try playing against them (similar level) first before making extraordinary claims. Of course if u pick on some noobie mavis players, smashing hard will do the trick.

#245 cooler, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

btw, if u guys have better theory on why these MD pairs end up being so close in their score, please post them

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if a player tops out his swing velocity say 250 km/hr, it would be same top speed for feather and plastic. What make u think that he can smash the plastic shuttle faster than 250 km/hr? U guys are all jestering myths because u dunno the fact.

#247 cooler, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. Scott_G500

Student
    GT0ro's comment is true at least for me. I play against people who are at most B level players, so most can't smash that hard or don't choose a good spot to smash. I noticed that when playing with feathers, smashes are much easier to return than when playing with nylons.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

so does easier also mean it take less effort and less skill to achieve a task?

10. Scott_G500

Student
    Not necessarily less skill or effort, just not as good reflexes because the smashes tend to slow down. Most of the players smash close to the body, but not directly at the body so my chances of returning the shuttle are greater when playing with feathers.

11. issota

issota Regular Member

Shuttlecock Industry
    Haiiii all...
    My name is dani.. i'm new here...
    i have a little time work in shuttlecock industry...
    hope this information is help for u guys...

the standart international of the weigh of the shuttlecock at the past is 77 grain
    1 grain = 15,432 gram
    77 grain = 4,989 gram

at the past 20 years ago all player badminton is play beautiful and full technique. but now most of them play speed and power right??? a lot of smash...

so in my experience with the player, the shuttlecock now is to fast, so we produce more light than usual.
    now they like to play at speed 76 grain, or in my best experience is at 48 - 49 gram.

and the important thing that some player didn't know is the type of the featers. theres two types of feathers, one is duck featers, and the others is goose feather. goose feather is the best for durability, but the price is very expensive. the best shuttlecock with the best of duck feather is over under US$ 6 - 7. if you find more expensive than that, it must be shuttlecock with the goose feathers ^^.

the durability for duck feathers is good actualy, try to hit the shuttlecock powerfull to the wall, but don't smash, remember...
    coz when you smash try to look clearly what you hit... use some cameras ^^. you will hit the feathers not the head of shuttlecock, it will break the feather very easy.

because of that we the shuttlecock industry know that the goose feather is the best, so we try to find another cheap goose feather ^^. and we find it.
    theres two kind of feather again, there is a thick feather and thin feather you wil know the diferent when you see it. thick feather is very expensive. try to get goose feather with the thin one ^^. you will love it, cheap and very good durability. the price is more cheap that shuttlecock with the best duck feather ^^ hehe... but you will know the diferent if you play with the thick feathers and the thin feathers when you hit it ^^... but it's ok very good to practice...

as i know that RSL no.6, no.5, no.4, and no.3 is using the best duck feathers.

12. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    me both plastic and feather .... i always collect shuttle(feather)from court ... since many 'rich' people use it once then leave it just like that then 'cleaner' come to rescue !

13. Amin Khalili

Student
    welcome to badminton central ... so lucky having a worker from shuttlecock industry(part time) here ... hey can give me some shuttle for free?if your boss dont let you then you just take it in making process ... jkjkjkjk

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

they is 3rd kind of feather, chicken feather, i tried some that came from INA

15. issota

issota Regular Member

Shuttlecock Industry
    wah yes there is a chicken feathers but it is for the cheap shuttlecock, chicken feather can't fly as good as duck or goose feather ^^, coz the chicken feather is very light, and the head of shuttlecock must be so heavy, the weigh between feather and top head no proportional, when you hit you will know the diferent ^^
    but chicken feathers have a little good durable hehe...

i'm from indonesia too ^^.

if you in indonesia i can play to your place and bring some shuutlecock for sample hehehe ^^, i like to play too but not to good >_<

16. zazaza

zazaza Regular Member

I.T related
    I recommend wooden shuttlecocks with nails on the tip.

17. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Plastics for practice. They normally retain their shape which is good for practice and can withstand some good smashes and a long period of training versus the strange flight of broken and used birdies.

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Plastics if they are of good quality they aren't to bad if you are just playing with freinds or not competivly

19. Amin Khalili

Student
    Want to buy as-40 as my present for my birthday today ..
    Anyone can recoomended me any other shuttle?

20. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

Is better that you get a racket as your birthday present. haha...Try RSL Classic Tourney.:D