Effects of higher string tension over a period of time

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by quixilver, May 13, 2013.

1. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Recently, I've been increasing the string tension of some rackets I have to ~30lbs using BG80. I know a lot of advanced and professional players out there string their rackets even with higher tension (up to 32-33lbs) but does anyone have any experience of keeping the racket(s) strung at this massive tension ?

My stringer told me that most of the hi-end rackets wouldn't have any issue to be strung until 30lbs as they are designed/made to survive this condition as it is a basic requirement from pro players but I'm concerning about the effect of such stressed racket frame over a long period, let's say about 2-3 months before the string breaks. Will it do any harm to the racket ?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Most top-end rackets will hold mid-30's very happily in the steady-state. Increasing tension will increase the potential for breakage for a given mishit or clash, but that's about it.

I've ended up in the low 30's after getting my own machine four years ago and never broken a frame. I restring every 6-8 weeks - whenever the school in whose sports hall I play has a holiday;).

3. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    A frame should easily be capable of taking 30+ lbs, I have now been stringing my rackets at that tension in a year, and I have "only" broken 2 high end rackets in that period. None of them from clashs or mishits purely because the frame couldnt take the strees any more. :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i would not have any problem stringing new highend racket or highend racket in excellent condition up to 30lbs, esp ones from reputable manufacturers. carbon fiber is a strong material and the material used in highend rackets are firstly higher quality CF and also they would've gone through a better resin curing process.

however, carbon fiber and other composite material area also prone to catastrophic failure once micro-crack (or in some cases macro crack) develop in the material structure.

microcracks are developed over time as the racket is being stressed. this can happen during high stress situation such as super high tension or during regular heavy use, or during blunt impact like with shuttlecock or against another racket.

once microcrack develops whether gradually over time or during impact, that weakens the structure of the racket and can lead to catastrophic failure.

going with high tension will increase the possibility that will happen, and thus potentially shortening the lifespan of your racket. you should understand that it is a risk that you are taking before doing so and you will need to gauge between the pros and cons of doing so.

5. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I have realized about the higher risk that the racket will suffer during a clash or mishit, sometimes even a single mishit near the frame may cause a crack on the frame. Happened to me few times with the rackets strung @ 23-24lbs.

Among the rackets I have, those are Arc 10 PR, BS-LYD, MX-London and MX-JJS which are strung @30lbs with BG80 for all of them. I like the feel of playing at this tension, every single shot feels very sharp and easier to control, and sounds amazing too :p

Anyway, thanks for the responses !

#5 quixilver, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  6. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    crack.jpg

found this crack during replacing the grommets on my arc10 today between two grommets.

i strung my racket on 27/29 lbs 7 times... first strung on 26.7.2012.

crack is between A14 and A15.

7. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

That's pretty bad... Was it happened on both sides of the frame or probably you unpurposedly mishit at somewhere around that area ?

8. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    No, no misshit. The frame became very weak.

crack a2.jpg

While a smash training the string break. Now the frame have more cracks than before.
    All holes on A1-A3 (both sides) are damaged. The picture is from an A3.

9. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

It looks quite bad...
    How did you restring the racket under this condition ? Would a new grommets help ?
    I saw on MBS website, they sell one type of string/grommet protector. IIRC, the brand is Hi Qua. It looks like a soft rubber placed in between of grommets so the string will sit on top of this rubber instead of directly on the frame.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ARC10? is it a real one? who strung it? what type of machine?

11. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    i would not put the protection pad on my racket, too much shift of the characteristics in the play.

i restring the racket now with ~20 lbs :) works pretty good. now the racket is for newcomer and hobbyplayer in our club.

yes, definitely a real one. i strung it:
    25.07.2012 on 30/31 lbs
    22.09.2012 on 30/32 lbs
    13.10.2012 on 30/32 lbs
    13.11.2012 on 30/32 lbs
    17.11.2012 on 30/32 lbs
    26.01.2013 on 29/31 lbs
    30.03.2013 on 28/30 lbs
    17.05.2013 on 27/29 lbs (first time when i see the crack between A14 und A15
    29.05.2013 on 20/21 lbs :)

that Arc10 is the only one of three rackets which have this problem. but the other one are a little bit newer. a older one cracked during play while a clash with the flood :/

until november 2012 i strung with a pro's pro and a tension wise head, then i strung it on my es5protech.

see such similar damage of a racket on the AT900P but between the grommets at the bottom...