Lin Dan whitewashed LCW

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by bananakid, May 16, 2009.

1. ckloo

ckloo Regular Member

No more whitewash please..

Totally agree with you. Can you guys stop using whitewash? To me if u wanna called it whitewash then wait till you see the scoreline 21 vs < 5 then thats a whitewash! Well, having said that, I still have to admit that LCW is still second to LD both psychologically and technically.LCW is just lacking that "little bit" which I think we all and even LCW don't know what is that "little bit" that is missing. I am sure many Msian like me are very frustrated but what to do? We have to admit that LD is born with talent and LCW is through hardwork.That's what Misbun has said before. Sigh....

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To be continued..

...in the World Championships in India in August, as LinDan most likely will not compete in the upcoming S'pore and Indonesia Open Super Series..:cool:

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

To those who didn't complain about the word "whitewash" when X Ball started the LCW whitewashed LD thread back in the Swiss open 2009 http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=67571 but complain here instead, feel free to refer to this... http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...1&d=1242492087

To those who had already complained about the word "whitewash" before in this thread http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=67571 then you have all the rights to complained here all you want.

#43 bananakid, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    100% agree

anyway,guys,please give someone time and space to celebrate:)
    no harm;)
    dont complain.

looking forward for lcw vs lindan in wc final:)

5. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

Don't know about you guys but I think MS won't be boring even without LD and LCW. Haven't you watched the semi-final between PSH and SDK. It was great right?

PSH improved a lot especially his defense. He was doing great but lost to SDK.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't think any match will be boring as long as people care about it.

even a match between two local players can be exciting if enough people care about who wins. that's kinda the attractiveness of watching a match live.

however, very few people would want to go back and watch a match between two local players. there are nothing really technical and beauty in such games to justify watching it again.

but some players, their technique and play really stands out, esp when against some certain player who can bring out their very best. LD vs. LCW in recent years has been like that. they aren't neccessarily playing the most smashy game, but just that the speed and variations, placement and deceptions, pace and anticipation are above any other players. even LD vs. PSH or PSH vs. SDK didn't have that attractiveness to it.

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Your line above said it best as I have said I would pay to watch them play as they brought forth the beauty of baddy...what people should understand that when these 2 fellas are gone, that's it. Take both of them out of the game, it is like a dish missing 2 key ingredients.

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

no, technically LCW is as good as if not better than LD. it is just his playing style doesn't has that killing instinct that LD has.

9. Foreverlove

Foreverlove Regular Member

even you go up there and play, no one WILL do that to you, that's will be too humiliate.

So in you opinion, this word "whitewash" should not be exist at all, right?

10. Foreverlove

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1168486&postcount=37

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

people can use 'whitewash' or whatever words they like but for others to agree with is another matter. i did started another tread tried to stir thing up a bit suggested CHN whitewashed the rest of the world by 21 matches to zero in this SC. unfortunately I failed as everyone seems to agree or worldnt be bother, damn!

#51 AlanY, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  12. Foreverlove

in reality, LD is No.1 with or without LCW,
    but
    LCW still may not be the unbeatable player if there was no LD.

13. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Just watched this.
    LD is definately the best singles player in the world at the moment however, i believe the difference is the belief to win even when falling behin/errors made in the game. LD seems to dig very deep into his game despite playing not up to his 100%, whilst LCW will get phased easier when he is behind or when making mistakes.
    It is clearly seen that they both have each other to thank as they have both improved so much in the game that the difference between 2nd and 3rd in the world is wide.

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I play badminton, not very good or even average but every time I was on court after I scored a few points with no reply and I will start to work toward a whitewash, a love game. it was easier in the old scoring system but for the 21 points it's almost impossible, at least for me.

15. Foreverlove

A love game is very likely if you play against LD or LCW, or even any professional players.

If you watched the game between LD and No.6 seed Joachim Persson

or the game between LCW and Ville Lang in AE 2009 you will agree with me.

16. jaydee

jaydee Regular Member

LCW lack of attacking play, maybe focus alot on defence and moving around the court.... now he should focus on his attacking imho... and he's still mentally weak when he start making mistakes. But overall lovely match...
    LD wants to win so much when playing against LCW, I can see that he gives his very best. He does not look down on LCW and take things lightly...

17. lagigolo

lagigolo Regular Member

Definitely wasn't a whitewash, regardless of the score. There was some good rallies and both players hit a little running streak.

I think LCW didn't attack enough but when he did he won most of the points.

I thought LD was pretty fired up for this game and showed it with his gestures after winning points and at the end of the match.

I would be jumping up and down if i got any points against the no. 1 let alone beat him. (This won't be happening).

Also agree LD looked pretty pumped up on his physique, arms and shoulders looked awesome. Don't know what training hes been doing but surely will help his game.

Anybody else notice he went sleeveless in this game, the earlier game against Andrew Smith (UK), he was wearing normal type. Probably knew he would sweat more and require better movement.

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

intimidation!! LD is a size or two bigger than LCW, if you can use it to your advantage, why not?

19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

When LCW attacked with smashes, they were defended quite easily, and that took a toll on him in the next few rallies.

20. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

LD is simply the best, hands down, much better than LCW...

Yes, LD is not invincible and LCW did beat LD this year, once or twice every year as well in the past. However, the best in the world need not to win every and each match, but the one that possess the ability to win whenever matters and have a winning head-to-head record with their major rivals. (No world best in any sports could have 100% head-to-head winning over their rivals, look at Tiger Woods, Nadal, Federer, Lance Armstrong, Steffi Graf... etc, but everyone could still remember them as the best in their era and no-one would deny such by simply quoting their ever defeats by their closest rivals.).

LCW is simply the best runners-up and LD's closest rival, and he also is a class above the rest of contenders for this post, at least for the moment. Similarly, occassional defeat to other contenders does not deprive him from such fact.

Their last match at Sudirman Cup semi is the best reflection of their abilities, even a more true reflection that their OG final, in my opinion.

In OG08, LCW was caught by surprise on LD's sudden raise of level and thwarted by the atmosphere, and resulted in a lopside defeat.

In last weekend's match, both were well prepared for the match last Saturday, both were at their top form, physically and mentally, both were concentrated in the match and with played with good confidence. There were many deception plays, but almost all were returned, seemed that both players were able to predict the possible deception plays from their opponent.

Both players fully demonstrated the features of their technical characteristics in this match:
    LD:
    more aggressive in general, more lethal attacks, but also more unforced errors (you could look at their statistics, LD lost much more points on UF errors than LCW), mostly in control of the match pace, able to change tactics to take crucial points when necessary.
    LCW:
    more patient, more consistent (much fewer unforced errors, and therefore won more long-rally plays), good at defence, many deceptive plays.
    This match could be a classic technique teachning materials for years as both players demonstrated full range and good display of badminton techniques and strategies.

Credit to both players, they make badminton more spectacular and attractive.

Credit to LCW, without him, LD may lack a major incentive in keeping him pushed for better games and brought the best out of himself (just look at LD's match at the final with PSH...)

... btw, also simply hope LCW could talk less and do more to become a real rival to LD (I was simply not impressed by LCW's statement before Sudirman Cup that he was never beaten by LD in team events, which in fact just had 2 meetings previously..., such lip service just reminded people his lack of confidence in beating LD)
    ... hope he would not say he is still holding a leading 2-1 head-to-head in team events over LD prior to next year's TC in Malaysia.... :D