A Training Centre for Coaches?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cobalt, Mar 7, 2011.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    All levels has its merits. Being a competitive player will bring you to level 3 easily; as when you win in some tournaments, you will know what it takes to reach the top. It is nirvana. ;)

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Just so I don't misunderstand you, Loh: do you mean to say that SSC has the curriculum available as well as the resources, but the SBA does not actively encourage its coaches to pursue the Continuing Education courses offered under the aegis of the NROC?

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Matt, your post made for some very absorbing reading!! I am beginning to understand now, what it really takes to be a dedicated coach in most badminton playing countries, and I am very humbled by the amount of sacrifice you guys have to make to pursue your calling. Not just in UK, but as you rightly pointed out, in almost every country apart from maybe China. I just hope that other people can also now appreciate how you guys in so many countries keep going every day, more out of your love for the game than anything else!

I find it particularly interesting that a Level 3 programme in UK can continue for years and essentially, in terms of coaching expertise, lead nowhere!! If as you say, Level 3 which has (about) 15-20 qualified coaches today "focusses on planning the progress of elite performers over monthly/yearly timescales" then it has been a spectacular failure, if you consider the cumulative results in terms of SS wins or medals tallies. Obviously, something has not been working, and for some time now! :D

I suppose coach mentoring has been around for longer than the term itself, at least in a semi- or non-official way. It's probably a great way to "learn on your feet" and still have the protective buffer of a senior coach who has "been there, done that." Other national associations may just use different words to describe this...

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would like to clarify a point I didn't make very well earlier - a Level 3 coach is a regional coach for a performance centre. The best example of this would be some sort of county squad performance centre. It is not JUST aimed at the highest level elite players, but the supposed county system that feeds that. Unfortunately I get even more angry about the implementation of the political county selection system than I am of the lack of a high quality coaching infrastructure.

In the UK, if you are not under 18 or in the amongst the elite county/national players, many coaches do not think you exist. Note: I am a coach, and I think the the best thing in the UK would be for general club standard to increase - this would mean that new people to the sport are able to learn against high quality players, without having to get into the county scene, and, by extension, the county squads would become stronger, and, by extension, possibly the national squads. This leaves me with a great interest in helping the "average club player", because increasing their standard will lead to more enjoyment for them and others, greater promotion of the game, and so more people playing, and so more talent developing, and so more people playing, and so on - everyone wins!

However, having said that about coaching general club players, I also want to coach myself to a high standard, so that I could in theory compete at a high level. I am a long way off this goal yet, but onwards and upwards!

And on the subject of mentoring and further development: I know a Lady called Sue Rutson who taught me at Level 2, who is an NLP practitioner. She gave us some amazing psychological insights into coaching. The subject is huge, and I can't wait to learn more when I can. I also think that mentoring should be in place for Level 2 coaches to help other Level 2 coaches. I am fortunate as I said, to have the benefit of continuing to learn from some fantastic coaches, but I don't think being Level 2 means the education should be over! Being a great coach happens because of experience, as well as natural talent/language/technical/personal skills etc.

Oh yeah - all coaches should be taught to FEEEEEED properly - this is a skill not focused on enough in my opinion, especially multi shuttle feeding. This is where I get really jealous of all the danish coaches...

I just can't shut up today... sorry guys!

Matt

5. viver

viver Regular Member

You summarized almost everything! But in order to gain their full respect, you also need to be an expert in the electronic games as well and some insights in the fashion field! ;) :D

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Maybe we should have feeding speed competition? kekeke... ;)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes I believe the SSC has most of the resources to conduct the theory courses. On top of that they are responsible for the continuing education programme for coaches registered with the NROC.
    The SBA has resources to train Level 1 & 2 coaches on the technical level but will be hard pressed to conduct Level 3 courses and beyond. Their priorities are different.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

9. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Hahaha you know something too !

Sometime have to go down and become kid again lol

10. viver

viver Regular Member

And not only accepting anything as paycheck... You may even have to sponsor financially in order for the kids to participate in badminton related events. But it may be rewarding in the end, if the kid(s) keep playing with passion, independent of the sporting results.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Another problem for SBA is the difficulty of getting a really qualified coach to train the coaches at Level 3. China would perhaps have coaches of high technical ability who are able to impart their knowledge at Level 3, but language could be a problem unless the trainee coaches understand Mandarin. SSC theory courses are conducted in English as the Manuals are written in English.

Even for the SBA organized Level 3 class in 2003 conducted by the German coach and where more than half the class were ex-national players and professional coaches, many were not proficient in Mandarin and one was a non-Chinese.

The course also required practical attachment to the National coach for a specified period in order to complete and qualify for a certificate. This is not exactly "mentoring" as I understand it. As the national coach then was a Chinese, communication with him was difficult and he had to conduct training for the national players with little time for the trainee coach. So the trainee coach would just have to spend time observing how the national coach conducted his training and it could prove monotonous and unproductive.

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yeah right, never regret that even there is a hole in my pocket :)

I see this should be covered in level 1 & 2

It's under investment :D

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Evolution of content/approach in every Level

The world has changed many times over the past 50 years. There is always new knowledge and new methods to be learnt every few years. There is new technology to be confronted, and new frontiers to be explored. There are new discoveries in health and physiology, and new approaches to high-intensity, performance training.

All of this can in theory, allow a player to perform at a level that is greater than a player of say, 30 years ago. But it is up to the coach to understand the uniqueness of each player, and to extract the greatest potential from him or her. How can a coach achieve this?

He will first have to understand the methodologies of coaching. To understand the working of the human body. To understand hyperextension and other stuff, just so that he can use those conditions correctly to extract maximum performance.

He will have to understand old and new methods and approaches to physical training. Technology. Evolution of tactics. Mental warfare. Support systems. Diet. Weather. Hydration. Illegal substances. Meditation. Visualization. Preparation. Breathing techniques. Correct elbow elevation. Rest as a weapon.

Equally important: he will need to know what information to use, and what to discard.
    But he must never stop learning, himself.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Evolution of content/approach in every Level - Part 2

A coach can keep improving and discovering new techinques, applications and approaches at any level. He does not need to seek to move from say, Level 2 to Level 3 in his quest for improvement. To an extent, content and approach can also evolve within a level. I think it is very important to recognize this concept.

The questions are:
    1. Where does the coach go, to learn or improve?
    2. What sources and resources does he turn to?
    3. Can he trust these sources and resources?
    4. Are they structured, manageable and constantly inclusive/evolving?
    5. What is the optimum frequency of refreshes?
    6. Is the gain measurable?
    7. Can the gain be replicated with variations in application, depending on condition and player/student?

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    If you read the "level 3 badminton" link posted above (for the badminton england stuff) they talk about this evolution "within a level" as horizontal development - whereas going from level 1 to 2 is vertical. However, identifying the newest/most interesting resources for personal development is sometimes tricky, and can come in so many ways!

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Cobalt, I am not sure other coaches have come across this or even agrees :D

What you have mentioned, through years of experience in learning, observing, sharing, trial & error ..

a coach will succeed in his quest to find answers for his questions if he doesn't give up:)

He will find somebody who can answer his questions without asking him one day:D

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    pBm, I respect your angle on things because I know that it is a respected and successful coach talking! :D

But why would anyone (even a very good and successful coach) not want to look for and accept more professional inputs? If this can allow him to be even better at his own job, does this not make sense?

Nowadays there are many professional resources available in every sport; and no responsibility can be taken in isolation at the higher levels of sport. It is OK to work solo at club or school levels. But beyond that, at any regional/state/national or otherwise professional level, people aim for a synergetic effect; and this can only come through some sort of collaboration and interaction/sharing with other professionals, whose area of expertise touches (or to some extent, overlaps) your own.

Every actually practises this. Even you may be doing it in your own way! :D What I am getting at is to take this interaction/collaboration/synergy to a new, more organised, professionally planned, managed and administered level. The advantage is in continuity of service, quality of service, and assured delivery of service. What do you think?

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    If someone can help me to be a better coach than I am now, then YES PLEASE :D I believe that I will get there eventually, but any help I can get along the way would be invaluable. As i am relatively inexperienced, and do not coach at an elite level, my interests lie in finding out new drills and exercises/ new theories and explanations/ different technical explanations of shots.
    However, a coach at an elite level will be thinking differently - what will make these athletes able to succeed above their competitors? How can I give them the edge? Everyone, including the competition, is practising, so the pressure is on making the training you give your players do something that allows them to take the improvements of their opponents, and counter this, and come out on top. Tough.