Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

2. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

3. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    that's exactly the reason he is asking...If they are really that good then what'ss the point in cheating....they must be easily winning without cheating....they r using cheating and getting an unfair advantage over the whole world and u r just taking them off as if they r just tactics...

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Stay on topic guys. This thread is about Saina Nehwal.

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Sorry, the last two posts ( excluding yours) is related to Saina so it s on topic. If every post has to stay 100% on topic, all the threads will be super short. When a thread is short, interest dies. Is that the perfection defined? At least let AlanY have the opportunity to elaborate. His post sounded like an instant reaction. He can think. We should wait for his well thought post. It will be worth waiting for, I m sure. AlanY, please oblige. Thank you.

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    'Expect a different Saina in London'
    Amit Sampat, TNN | May 2, 2012

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/12957714.cms

Excerpt:

NAGPUR: Indian badminton coach Edwin Iriawan wasn't a worried man when things weren't going Saina Nehwal's way last year. He was aware of her potential. The Indonesian now wants all to give respect to country's best bet at the Olympics and is very much optimistic about her chances in London.

Edwin said that Saina is shaping up nicely for the quadrennial event. "Saina is preparing hard and we have a special program for her. We can expect a different Saina in London," Edwin told a news conference on Tuesday.

"Saina is ranked No. 5 in the world and above her we have four chinese shuttlers. After China we have Saina," Edwin said with a smile. "We should respect her. She has done well for the country. Saina's game is not going down; instead she is getting a tough competition. Most of her opponents have read her game and that's bound to happen when you play at the highest level."

"There's no point analyzing what has happened before. I always believe in looking forward. There's no secret to good form. It's only about staying focused and Saina is focused," added the 45-year-old, who is in the city to guide players and coaches of the region.

10. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I think she is not the only one is pretty overconfident and arrogant about her abilities....even the coach and her ex-senior player who have not achieved much in the world of badminton also has a lot of hot air to spew..

I never come across Indonesian, Malaysian or even Korea making so many statements like these....when they havent even proved it...jeez

Extracted from The Week - Enter the Dragon

All eyes are on Gopichand, as he prepares strategies for Nehwal's attack on the Chinese. He is relaxed about her current performance, and, said, “I am not really worried about these results. She is not playing badly; I would have been worried if she was.”
    He said there was nothing surprising about the Chinese coach devising strategies to corner Nehwal. “If I was the Chinese coach, I would do that as well,” he said. “As a [Chinese] coach it is easy as I am watching one video six times. But, I am watching six videos six times. That is the way it is. They are not going to give up. They will be at it. It will be a great challenge, a huge story for me and our country, and for world badminton, to see China lose a medal at the Olympics.”
    The Olympic qualification rules allow only three entries, even if a country holds the top four world ranks, which China does in badminton. “The Olympics is an easier field than a Super Series event [due to qualifying norms],” said Popat. “She has the experience of Beijing to help her, though the pressure is higher. If she meets the Chinese in the last three rounds, then it is beating one for bronze, two for silver and three for gold. She is working on something for Olympics. She has used the last couple of tournaments trying out things.”
    Apart from adding to her strokes, Gopichand has also put her on a different diet and training regime. She has already lost 5 kilos under the new programme. A good protein diet plan for over a month is now being followed by a balanced carbohydrates-based one. This will make her quicker on court. “I will play longer rallies as I can run much better now,” Nehwal said. “You can make me play for two hours, no problem. I am fitter than probably any other player right now.”
    There is a view that Gopichand is adopting a high risk strategy. Popat puts it aptly: “It is really up to Saina and Gopi. She herself knows that the Chinese know her game, so trying something different is an option. That is Gopi for you. He has taken risks throughout his career, but knows exactly what he is doing. It also keeps the Chinese coach guessing, because Saina is a work in progress.”
    As for the addition to her game, there is the cross court drop shot and the backhand toss. Said Gopichand, during the Indian Open: “Normally when the shuttle is moving towards her left, she would go around it and hit it with a forehand smash or shot. But here she used the backhand toss and that saved her time on the shot. She won points using the cross court drop, and usually at the net she would keep or dribble the shuttle, but she was using the surprise backhand lift as well. All these things were missing from her strokes before and it is a good sign that she has finally started using them.”
    Popat said Nehwal's game was very physical. “Any amount of pressure will affect her physically,” she said. “Change game, get more strokes—she is working on those options. When she has to close the last three or four points, she can surprise the Chinese with her new strokes.”
    Nehwal confirmed Popat's observations. “I am a better player now,” she said. “I am more confident and my strokes and speed have also improved. I have also grown stronger mentally.”
    According to Gopichand, Nehwal has been fantastic in adapting and responding to changes. “To stay at No. 5 for close to two years is not an easy job,” he said. “She has always given more than 100 per cent in training, and her urge to win has never ceased.”

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I read the entire article you have attached. I stil have to find exactly where these people come across as over-confident and only spewing hot air, and worse yet, your favourite word to run down non-Chinese players: arrogant.

Your posts here have followed an alarmingly biased pattern without a shred of support or constructive criticism. Maybe you need to actually read the article without bias, and for what it is worth. Otherwise, maybe you need to get off the thread.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i don't think she should be worry about the Chinese girls at all.
    the 5th to 8th seeds in London will be Baun, Schenk, Cheng and Sung.
    It's a good chance that she will meet one of them in the QF, and most likely dump out if her record for majors are any to go for.

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well, you are 50% correct. Except she only has to prepare against one of them. And she only has to do homework against, at the most, only two of the CHN WS. OG12 is actually easier, competition-wise, than SS. Saina has to remember she has all the advantages in OG. She has OG experience ( none for CHN WS.) She is a challenger, so a medal is a bonus, not a must. ( CHN WS has to deliver, can she imagine the weight on them?) She has beaten or given them stress even when not playing at her best, so her best is yet to show. She just has to do the video homework thoroughly ( her job primarily, not her coach s, though it s also the coach s job.) Prepare herself physically for strength and stamina. (Losing weight is misleading. It s no good to lose weight and lose strength. What s more important is to gain strength and stamina over weight. After muscle buildup, how can weight be less unless it s fat loss) Speed automatically improves with increased strength and stamina (and video homework) and is best used tactically. Mentally, Saina has the advantage over all her opponents. She always has the belief she can beat all her opponents ,which is true. It s great she has the arrogance to show. She should continue to be arrogant. She can be humble to fans but never be humble to opponents.

14. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I don't know why you think if they say they can beat Chinese, they become arrogant. It's good that they all are confident. What do u expect them to say that they can never beat any Chinese?

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That s because his research, if any, is always suspect. Also, you can sense his perception that CHN is superior to IND so IND has no right to sound so superior. My belief is IND is mentally superior to CHN.

16. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

China girls are under heavy pressure to perform especially in the upcoming Uber Cup. This is where you will probably see all the nerves starting to show and they get mentally unstable and unable to perform up to their normal level.

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

so superior that she never got passed the QF stage at a major over 6 or 7 years?
    give me a break

18. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Read again what he said, I think u jumped the gun in your comment. He only said mentally but it also takes skill and speed to go far in this sport which she lacked over the last 6 years.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Just wondering here, Alan... is your definition of "major" the same as the BWF definition of "Major Tournaments"?

20. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I will back that up ...he means All England and some other Super Series Premier. She only went to the Indonesian Open final.

7 years in a row she failed to impress in the All England super series. That's a message

Then she never get past any QF in any Premier (apart from IOSSP) plus major tournaments like WC and even AG which she played twice (2006 & 2010)

If she all that with a big hoo-hahhh aka Chinese big beater as everyone claims she is, I haven't seen she stamped that mark in the 6/7 years. that's epic fail and still have the galls to call Chinese cheaters at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.