Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Pakito, you've got some good points about LCW should be less readable and less predictable when playing LD. And that I think he achieved partially in the 4 Kings Exhibition match 2 weeks ago against LD. If you watch that video, you'll see that LCW used a lot of new found deceptive strokes and double motions to effectively keep LD guessing and unsettled. That match was much closer than the HK semi. For some reason, these tactics were rarely used and few and far in between against LD in the HK semi ss. :(

#6761 visor, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

one thing for sure, pair's post has a number of crying icons in it. Haha, are you sad while stating all your observations?

3. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Badminton is not, and will never be, my profession. I'm guessing that holds true for most of us here on the forum (you included, please do correct me if I'm wrong). All of us are armchair critics.

And I don't see what qualifies you to judge my hard work, or lack thereof, towards my goals, since you know nothing about either of those things.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    the greatest threat to LCW's chance of obtaining a Olympic medal (be it gold, silver or bronze) is injury.... if he continues like this, there will definitely be injury---injury which will reduce his chance significantly...

he needs a team of sport science and physiological experts who can manage his recuperation on a daily basis...

LCW should copy LD's strategy... withdraw or dropout as much as he can.... so long as CTC/BAM/Yonex don't complain too much about it....

Working and trying too hard is the single biggest problem in LCW's character... We all love LCW because he is a very very hard working man... But it has now gone too far...

#6764 pcll99, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. cogidubnus

cogidubnus Regular Member

Totally agree. I'm a big LCW fan, but I have to admit LD is slightly ahead in terms of tactical play, mental toughness and even some aspects of skills, especially sudden explosive attacks. A lot of people say that LCW is on par with LD in all aspects and is just unlucky not to win a big one. It could be true, but to me, luck cannot explain such a big disparity in majors, i.e. 1 OG, 1 AG, 4 WC vs none from LCW, and a head to head of 19-8 (after HK open 11). Maybe LCW is just very slightly behind, but at this level, a slight advantage makes all the difference.

6. cogidubnus

Exactly what I thought. Don't really understand why he did that, that shot couldn't possibly be a winner, LD wasn't even out of position. And you're right, LCW has a habit of doing this.

Another "showboat" I often observe from LCW is that he'd walk back casually to the baseline and play a high defensive clear, totally giving away the initiative when he had a good chance to attack. I guess he's confident in his amazing defence, and against a lesser player it's not a problem. But I was a bit surprised when he did this multiple times on big occasions e.g. world champs final or thomas cup against LD, knowing that the heavy attack is coming. I could be wrong, but if he keeps up this lackadaisical attitude, OG 2012 could be well beyond his reach.

7. iqbaljuve

iqbaljuve Regular Member

student
    as i know head to head is 18-8 (17-8 from bwf website + 1 match won by lin dan in asian games 2010), not 19-8. CMIIW (correct me if i am wrong)..........

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Mark my word. This is the beginning of a down slide for LCW. Told him to get another coach and he yaya... ;)

The damage is done. ;) Goodbye to Olympic Gold. The statistic holds true. Many big winnings against none. ;)

A shame really. ;)

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Not so bad. The HKO version of LCW is quite different from the 4Kings exhibition. Don t think he s bothered by the losses. Only the fans who expect him to win all the time.

10. extremenanopowe

My suspect is that his fitness is going down more than LD. For CL, he is going up. ;)

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    The beginning of the down slide for LCW was right after BWF World Championship 2011... It was the most devastating defeat in the entire professional life of LCW..... It was more devastating than 2008 Olympics final...

12. flite

flite Regular Member

You have a good point here.

Winning is all about preparation and when it comes to preparation its always linked with the type of quality training one getting (or lack of it) and here is where a good coach comes in since we are talking about world class standard.

Also, what separate LD and LCW in the highest level of badminton is their individual knowledge/understanding towards the game and on-the-court intelligence = mental strength, which determined who has the higher percentage in the right selection of shots for most of the game and that's about it.

13. betazone

betazone Regular Member

I think LCW must concentrate on reducing his errors, handling of end game, different court draft/light conditions, opponent's time-delay and gamesmanship.

I mean while we all like to talk about LD and LCW strengths/weaknesses, i firmly believe that it is the above that "kills" LCW. I hv lost count of the no of times all his good work and leads in matches against LD are thrown away due to silly errors. Surely it is high time( if Coach Teu had not) to introduce or somehow duplicate real match conditions in training?

Not to mentioned, have anyone noticed Chn players in particular likes to signal for re-serve? also how LD always paced around the court doing this and that to delay time, while LCW rarely ever does that ? this are all just minute stuff but it will all add up because the game at the top is as much a physical as psychological battle.

THat's all for now, hope LCW can "bangkit" for Olympics !!!

#6773 betazone, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Unfortunately, LCW doesn't have high quality sparring partners like LD has in the CBA system.

This is more about dictating your own pace and rhythm upon the game, partially hoping to throw off your opponent. Again unfortunately, the players in the CBA system is more aware of such intricacies. For example, Ma Jin and some of the Chinese WD players take like forever to serve... almost feeling like they're posing for a photograph! But yet, that is not illegal, despite the boundaries being pushed.

15. extremenanopowe

No more excuses pls. All the resources are there for him to make use of it. It is his own ignorant and trying to be nice to the coach or vice versa. If the cannot get the GOLD. No one else can be blamed except for these 2 heros. ;) They have lots of money from the Tiger piggy bank. Do what you need to maintain your form and win it. ;)

16. visor

visor Regular Member

^^^ Those are just simple observations that any of us can make, they are not excuses. If they're not smart enough to be surrounded by friends and players who can provide them these observations and if they're too proud to take these observations into account, then the OG gold is surely out of their reach.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    IMHO, at a match, LCW should just think of playing his very best, and not to worry about winning or losing, and/or about who his opponent is, and/or what BAM think.

The stress that LCW faces is created by himself.

18. cogidubnus

the bwf website (horribly maintained) also missed hong kong open 2006, where LD won beating LCW in 3 sets in the final. You can find the match on youtube. hope this helps.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    just wondering.... is tournament software statistics based entirely on BWF's website??

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    sorry, chris... i have to slightly disagree with your comment.... thinking about how to win during a match is equally as important as playing your best....