OG12 MEN's Singles Finals

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by sonnymak, Aug 7, 2012.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

LCW had crowd support in his home stadium in the Thomas Cup of 2010 against LD but that didn't help LCW either. Despite all the boleh fans chanting for LCW, LD still beat LCW easily.

LD has 21 wins to 9 losses to LCW:

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/p...false&p2=2E62073C-AD95-40BE-8364-0A2EC054A4AC

For LD to have 21 career wins to 9 losses to LCW, LD is better than LCW in many areas.

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

LCW could win MO forever also becoz of fan support??!!!

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Were you at TC10? Do you know LD ( and Team CHN) were never without support? Team CHN was cheering for him all the way. It s not as loud as the MAS crowd but he was never alone on his own. It is not about how loud. It is about when. The most important time to show support is when the player is trailing and at the closing stage. CHN crowd knows about timing. The MAS crowd in KL is just all noise. Now you know the difference. Oh, by the way,in TC10, LD had LCW s number, just like LCW had LD s number in TC08 and SC07. Enjoy lapping up their H2H. I m happy for you.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm,only 8 out of 21 lin dan victory is outside china.
    while lcw won 7 out of 9 outside malaysia.

5. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

So basically if LD and LCW played in a place with no LD fans but all LCW fans, LCW would win. And unless LD wins malaysia open, one can never claim LD is better than LCW.

6. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

LCW had worked four years for this match too... do not discredit him like this. It was just that he was injured some time before olympics that he is short of few weeks to train.. its not like he only just pick up badminton two weeks ago and had to start from scratch.. yes, that few weeks short of training does affect his performance but not everything... his skills n techniques are still with him, perhaps even better now(note that his upper body strength is alot better than before the injury). conclusion, both has worked hard for four years!

7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Haha pjswfit. You have a funny way of thinking! There is no point debating with you - instead, I will enjoy reading your comments :D

8. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    The notion that crowd support is the main driving force behind both players takes away too much credit away from LCW and LD. Give the players some more respect than that. They have been playing long enough and are seasoned veterans to know how to deal with crowds being the great champions they are. For the record, the OG 2012 finals were pretty split 50/50 in the cheering support for LD and LCW. There were plenty of chants for either player and they were competing with each other, trying to drown each other out, but neither could.

There is no need to come up with all these excuses for LCW losing in the final moments of the match as there could have been more factors that lead to LD's win than us posters are even aware of. Had LCW come into the final completely healthy, he might have won the match. Then again maybe he wouldn't have. We can all name all the what if's, the what could have been's, and the why's for the outcome of the match, but that still won't change the end result or that LD has beaten LCW in most of the major events. I can only simply admire both players for one of the best singles matches I have ever watched and that it was sad only one player had to win.

9. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Keep it Cordial guys. This thread is started for discussion on techniques, tactics and strategies of both LD and LCW and what are the chasers, i.e. Chen Long, Du Peng You , Kenichi tago can do to bridge the gap.

Please dont sidetrack.

On another note, I thought LCW's career was gone after the injury, but the way he put away CL in the semis shows that the chasers have still got a lot to do.

LCW's drawback from now is his age, BUT if he time his tournaments and have a longer break in between tournaments, the chasers would find it hard to reach him. His advantage is that he can shift his game according to opponents he meets. This time he uses very sharp slicing smash and with accuracy to bring the shuttle down fast and mixes hard and weak smashes making CL running all over the court.

Against LD it was almost the same thing, but LD was not easily made to run all over court and at one point LD was doing a Usain Bolt to the back of the court hit a drive to save the rally.

Only these two LD and LCW can be out of position run to the back at an acute angle and retrieve a shuttle with interest.

LD is capable of altering his game but at the moment I dont think he needs to do it it is awesome enough for keep LCW at arms length the chaser a mile away.

LCW has altered his game and is playing with a different template from the one before the injury and it would take the chasers a few more months to find a hole in it.

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Quiz question.What are the ages of the oldest and youngest Men s Singles Olympic champion?

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

as a guess without going to the search button.

TH is 31 and he won it 8 years ago he must be the youngest.
    The oldest must be the Danish guy in 1996 that his name escaped me. Danish players always old.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The Danish player is Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen who won it at Atlanta 1996 at age 31 (born Sep 20,1965).

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Great MS finals!

Some thoughts and observations....

LCW played a totally different game this time round, than his usual hesitant, deferential style when he normally comes up against LD. Game 1 was a revelation: he took the bird early, was decisive, and showed intent to move LD round the court, wrong-footed him on many occasions and had one of the most polished defenders scrambling like crazy and looking very, very vulnerable. LCW deservingly won game 1 easily.

Game 2. IMO LCW lost it because he could not for some reason known only to himself, adjust to the drift. His focus and intent was so complete, he lost because he did not make allowances. Consequently he had to play a more attacking style in Game 2 as well, and use up valuable energy.Even GC commented that the drift had changed from what it was on previous days. LD adjusted. LCW adjusted but only too late, in Game 3, and even then overshot on the fatal point.

Is LD's peripheral awareness better than LCW's? I'd say, yes. His constant awareness of all the impinging factors allow him to control any match he plays against any opponent, better than the other guy. OTOH, LCW's peripheral awareness in stressful conditions is a little suspect; notice how he needs to look down to calibrate his position and judge the fall path of the bird - and yet he misjudged on at least 3 occasions!

So then the question begs asking: why did LD, on winning the toss, choose to play on the side with the drift? I think he fully anticipated the match to go to the decider, and if he could keep close with LCW until the interval, he could edge out the match if LCW misjudged the drift again, on a couple of points.

I guess he was right. For most of the match, LCW was the better player in all respects. But LD was the better strategist. And he had luck on his side. Again.

14. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

but hope it's not all because luck. :)

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

LCW had more luck at the Olympic final. In the middle of the third set, LD hit a shuttle that landed on the back line but was wrongly called out. Thus, LCW was gifted a point by the linesman. The score would have been 21-18 and not 21-19 if the right call had been made.

Ironically, even though LCW was more lucky in this Olympic final, he still could not secure the win.

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It s good you enjoy my comments even when they re not what you expect. But mine will differ from yours because I watched those tournaments courtside so I could observe what s not on TV whilst you see what the TV editors decide for you. And the H2H of 21 to 9 for LD to LCW is a superficial fact. That s what TV commentators are only capable of. There are many ways to analyse numbers. When you go deeper, the picture is revealing. Eg. Limsy unearthed the fact that 8 out of LD s 21 wins were outside China ( meaning most of LD s advantage over LCW is because of CHN crowd) whereas 7 out of LCW s 9 wins were outside Malaysia ( meaning dominant MAS crowd is not key to LCW s success.) And if you were to analyse each tournament win further, the picture will emerge that LD s wins over LCW were with teammate assists except one. And if you were to break down each match, you will find some pattern which CHN coaches know ( but of course Rashid wouldn t have a clue because he s not capable of deep thought.) That s why we have different views. You re not wrong because you see what s on the surface, I m not wrong because I do deep data research. Those analysis indicate LCW is superior to LD as a player but LD wins because his coaches do very detailed homework and help him strategise all the way, especially the finish. Whereas LCW s coaches don t even know the importance of closing out a match, so LCW has to figure out the finishing during play. But if LCW has MFrost for major tournament coach, it will be scary for CHN. But that won t happen because BAM would rather lose than let MF have the opportunity to claim credit for LCW s victory. So, enjoy and be happy.

17. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

except one? just one? which one is that lucky one? because i think there are already at least 3, AG 2010, WC 2011, and OG 2012. but i may wrong of course. :)

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Errrrr, with due respect, nothing. :D

The best is they can pray for these 2 to get old and creaky quickly enough, and get out of their way.

Each of the other "pretenders to the throne" have just too many flaws. Physical, mental, psychological, technical, blah blah. It boils down to enough of the right attributes coming together in one package for a long enough stretch of time to allow one person to make an impact on the game. I can't see any candidate.

CL is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and is likely to go the BCL way sooner than later; KT is a bloody goofball who needs a swift kick up his backside (I'm so hurt by his attitude and refusal to get out of his comfort zone) and frankly, (just my opinion) DPY, WZM et al just don't have what it takes. SS is entering the final lap of his career, ditto Sony. CJ sadly, is not ever going to be the force now that he once promised.

Viktor and a couple of other Danish youngsters have a good chance of making an impression, but it's early days yet, consistency is still to make it's presence felt... Ditto some of the exciting INA and MAS players, especially Dino and Rhustavito. But half the battle could be getting these kids' thumbs away from their iPhones, in a manner of speaking!

With his newfound confidence post-OG and more complete style of playing (he doesn't expend half as much energy on taking out other players apart from LD and maybe on a good day, CL) LCW can actually be a frontrunner again for Rio, if as you pointed out, he puts his mind to pacing himself over the next 4 years (and those idiots at BAM see the light). Probably LD as well.

...4 more years! :eek: I may not be around.... ;)

19. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    well written and i completely agreed. giving LCW an excuse why he lost would make him sound like an inferior opponent, which he is not. but for once i do feel bad for him not winning because he felt really really disappointed. when i saw the end bit, i even felt pity, and i thought LCW should win because he's such a nice guy...but then i realized this is a badminton competition, not personality competition. lol

20. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

With due respect, sadly your thinking is just a carbon copy of Morten Frost's own. In fact, your thoughts here have already been said out and discussed during the commentary of last year's BWF World Championship match between LD and LCW:

Morten Frost: I must say it again, LCW is the best player..

Commentator: But LD is the champion.

Morten Frost: ... yes (submissively)

I can understand your optimism and support for LCW. But up till now you still do not understand that even when people have been telling you that all you have doing is giving excuses for LCW's time and again losses against LD.

IF LCW is really that superior as your research has told you (I dare you to post your PHD research paper on this subject in this forum), then why has LD always been the winner up to this point when going against LCW in the biggest of matches namely the 2012 Olympic Games and the 2011 World Championships finals (notice that I'm avoiding the 2010 Asian Games, 2008 Olympic Games finals because of your habit of dismissing them as oh, they were held in China blah blah blah)?