LIN DAN String

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by gavias, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    have you tried bg65ti? I was amazed by it. at 0.70mm, it feels like a thicker version of bg80:).

Always had the impression that bg65ti is a wierd string until i had the opportunity to try. Excellent string. :D

#101 Sgbad, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. CalvinSeak

CalvinSeak Regular Member

Haha an old thread has been brought up!

I'm just afraid my racket's life span would be greatly reduce due to the high tensions by stringing BG65P

It felt really weird while smashing but clears are no doubt easier, hopefully I'll get use to thick strings as i break thin strings very often :(

What I dislike most is the sounds haha no *ping ping ping on contact during net shots :D

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

No ti strings for me... they are too slippery.

4. CalvinSeak

CalvinSeak Regular Member

Wow ! BG 65Power is awesome!!! I love it so much! The feeling is so soft when you smash! Not so stiff compared to BG66 Maxima, Playing with Maxima feels like hitting the shuttle with a wood!

Smashes was hard too Maybe a slight difference in repulsion compared to the Maxima!

I guess I'm going to stick with it! :D

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Glad you're enjoying it :D

One belief I have about stringing at high tensions and thick strings that I hope I'm correct in is that if the racquet is strung at a high tension and the string lasts for a long time before it is needed to be restrung (for example 31lbs with BG65P lasting 6 months), the overall structural damage done to the racquet will be less than compared to a racquet regularly strung with moderate tension with a string that breaks easily (for example 27lbs with BG66 lasting 3 weeks). I have been educated that the stringing process deals a lot of structural stress to the racquet since you're pulling the string through the racquet frame in single directions for quite a lot of times (since racquets have at least 70 plus grommet holes) and the damage will compound easily especially if you string frequently.

The thick string on the other hand will have enough time to settle and even if left at high tensions for sometime the stress will be evenly distributed over the string bed and thus deal less focused damage to any part of the frame (racquet frames usually crack in certain spots and very rarely do they actually implode).

Relating back to Lin Dan's case, a possible reason why he is able to salvage more than sufficient copies the CP old AT700 for two to three years (I heard the old AT700 was stopped production as of late 2006) while he is still able to train and sometimes break them in anger and frustration (up to four at once which he mentioned in his documentaries) is that perhaps he also leaves his racquets strung with BG65 and only restrings after they break. In contrast Taufik Hidayat has been known to require around 15 racquets per resupply (our Alan Kakinami saw the supplies during a US open) because of stress failure, and we all know he restrings very frequently due to him breaking the very thin BG66. The pro players train extremely hard and racquet breakage from mishits (no one is perfect especially when asked to train repeated heavy smashes) will still be likely. BG65 may take even Lin Dan 2 months plus to break due to its durability :p

Just my speculation.

6. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I heard lin dan using Li ning AP90 string now.

7. Balin

Balin Regular Member

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    different thicknesses?

Does anyone know if LD is using different gauges on the mains and crosses?

9. derrickn

derrickn Regular Member

i doubt this, but even if it does, he would probably cut them a few weeks after anyways because strings do become dull. i do know many players who use bg65 for training and then switch it up to bg80 for tournaments. I myself use nanogy95 to train and then switch it to the nanogy98 for tournaments.

taufik does break strings very often.. i have strung a few of his rackets and he does require bg66 at 32 lbs. Having a .66mm string at 32lbs, his strings actually starts cutting through the grommet and even through the actual racket. it's actually stressful stringing his rackets because it's so easy for his strings to snap on the machine...

10. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You're the man :D

Although do you think the reason that the BG66 is cutting through the grommet is due to the thinness at 0.66mm? I am currently using BG65 and the 0.7mm strings at 33lbs and I have fortunately not noticed any of the grommets on my racquets collapsing or being cut through. For my case when I have BG65 strung to 33lbs the tension just drop to about 30lbs minimum even after 3 months after the racquet was freshly strung.

11. derrickn

derrickn Regular Member

yeah probably is cutting through due to the thinness and tightness of the string. wow, 33 is tiiight

12. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Hi Lin dan fans : Any update what string is lin dan using now ?

13. frankmanzhu

frankmanzhu Regular Member

He uses Li Ning NS-95. Quite expensive string and hard hitting one. It bounces less, you need to string it at high tension to see the benefit. However, if you are only used to the tension below 25, I would recommend you use YY string since they bounces more to cover up your hitting strength.

14. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Hi bro : But I heard Lin dan still using BG 65 ?

15. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    I highly doubt it. Li-Ning actually has many strings... same quality as YY strings. As you probabl know, China (the national team) has no connections / sponsorships with YY. therefore they wouldn't use these

16. frankmanzhu

frankmanzhu Regular Member

Where do you hear this? He said this himself once that he was using Li Ning NS-95 ages ago. But now it's more likely to be Li Ning specially made. If he uses any YY product, it's a serious offense and will lose sponsorship.

17. morrow

morrow Regular Member

BG66UM exactly

18. bluezing

bluezing Regular Member

19. Raavesh Nadarajan

Raavesh Nadarajan New Member

Lin dan now uses BG 80