Proper methods for stringing Yonex

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mail43249, Feb 22, 2011.

1. monticore

monticore Regular Member

certification doesn'talways mean anything but it would help

cory

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Yonex USA is working on it. Kind of like what USRSA does, have a list of certified stringers so customers feel at easy when taking their rackets to shops

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Yes. I think because the bottom of the frame is wider in length having a lot of tension in the frame causes it to crack i.e. 2005 World Championships. I heard a stringer was going top to bottom stringing 34 lbs broke 3 rackets in a row. went bottom to top, no problem

4. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    Yonex Tennis rackets are supposed to be strung Top to Bottom. Any regular Tennis stringer would normally string from top to bottom, but that because they are trained and tested that way. Any stringer, certified or not, should take the time to know the racket they are stringing. I'm almost willing to bet there are some USRSA CRTs that have never strung a badminton racket.

5. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

But I thought the best stringing method is simply just to maintain the original racket shape with the least distortion, period. +2lbs or 10% more on the cross doesn't have to follow. There has to been tons of discussion about top down and bottom up already, please do some homework before raise it up again.

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

ALL Tennis rackets should be top to bottom. ONLY Badminton should be bottom top. Agreed with your statements, but if you look into 90% of shops, their stringers are HS or College guys looking to earn extra money. The USRSA MRT or CS, especially if they are at a private club don't know what badminton even is =P

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I think the 10% theory had to do with 2 point mounting machines. The 6 points help maintain racket head integrity.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think there are 2 factor to the 10% theory. one is 2 pt mounting as you mentioned to restore the head shape. the second one is more universal, and that's the zigzagging of the mains string after the cross strings are tensioned. the zigzagging of the main string causes its tension to go up in order for the cross to have the same tension, the cross needs to be pulled at slightly higher tension.

9. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i understand who the crosses would add extra tension to the mains but arn't the crosses shorter and therefore feel tighter due to their length. so if u use 20/20 yes the mains tensions goes up to 21-22 but because the mains are longer would they not still have the same frequency as the crosses. so would 20/20 give you a more repulsive string bed but would add stress to the racquet?

#29 monticore, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  10. mail43249

mail43249 Regular Member

I just purchased a used Yonex Racket and it was strung

The last horizontal string is on the 8th hole counting from bottom, rather than on the 9th hole as recommended by Yonex. As a result, the single string grommet is stretched to acccomodate the extra string.

Why did the stringer spend that extra effort to run another string beyond what is necessary? Is that ignorance?

So question is how does that affect the racket performance anyway?

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

It adds a stiffer string plane to the racket. Most top players like it, adds more control to the racket, since they generate a lot of power.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    forgot to answer this.

that's what i originally thought about the frequency. shouldn't the final frequency of the main and cross string be the same for them to have the same response. we went through this a lot in the progressive/proportional tension thread. that means the cross tension should much lower than the main tension, because the length of the cross string is much much shorter (20%?) than the main.

then i realize something. we should not be looking at the the frequency of the individual string segment. instead we should be look at the frequency of the whole stringbed as a whole. what does that mean? that means that the *density* of the string bed matters as well. the higher the density, the higher the collective tension/frequency.

to illustrate. a stringbed with just 3 cross/main string will feel softer than one with 40 cross/main string, even if each individual string are the same tension.

now, let's go back and look at the badminton racket, even though the tension of the cross/main are very close, if we look closely, we noticed that the main strings has a higher density. ie. they are closer together than the cross string. that give the main string a higher collective frequency. which compensate for the fact that the main strings are longer and should have a lower frequency at the same tension.

i hope that makes sense.

13. CovinaStringer

I totally agree. I would like to eventually get certified as a Yonex stringer.

14. monticore

monticore Regular Member

yeah makes sense i think , like overall footprint of the mains vs the crosses. longer/dense =shorter/spread out.

cory

15. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Are you sure top players like to string additional cross starting from b8 instead of b9?

Anyone here do so at b8?

16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Haven't heard any complaints at US Open's or Pan American Championships in the past 3 years.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

So would I, but it would have to be via a video submission:D.

I'll have a wander down to see the stringers on Thursday at the All England and see what they do w.r.t top-down or bottom-up.

Personally, I've always done top-down with a starting knot, and I've only ever broken ONE racket out of the 200+ I've strung; luckily it was one of mine, and it broke near the bottom for some reason. I never go over 28 lbs for my top cross and increase by 1 lb each cross until I reach the specified tension if it's more than 28. My machine's a cranker, but it's overclocked to "land" on the correct tension after clamp shuffling:).

18. CovinaStringer

Do you know Liam Nolan of the UKRSA? You might want to contact him.

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes, I do... very well, in fact - I've been certified by him both as a Club Stringer and a Professional Stringer:D.

With regard to certification, I can confirm that badminton is not well represented - I was the only one of eight on our course that had strung even one badminton racket, and no exemplar badminton rackets were strung during the course.

Liam told me it's extremely unusual for anyone to learn stringing on badminton rackets, as I did, but that it would stand me in good stead because badminton stringing requires the more care. When the odd tennis racket comes my way, it's almost a joke how easy it is compared to baddy.

20. CovinaStringer

Badminton has it's nuances, almost like stringing back in the old days (older than me), with the wooden rackets and more shared holes. I believe, fundamentally, if you can string a badminton racket you can string almost anything else. I just wish I can string more badminton rackets than the occasional racket compared to Tennis, so I can get more experience.