Yonex Nanogy 99 string ( NBG99 )

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ssgg007, Jan 21, 2012.

1. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I recently had the chance to play with NBG99. I prefer playing with plastics (save so much on cost, means more/better strings for me), so this might differ from what others might think.

I play at varsity level, and my usual set up is with BG80 @ 23lbs. Since NBG99 is 0.01mm thicker, I decided to just stick with the same tension. I noticed that I don't have to put as much effort to clear as I did with BG80, I guess this means power is more accessible with NBG99. I change my smash style with NBG99, from a big swing and follow-through (BG80) to a quick "snap" (forearm pronation) in order to take advantage of the accessible power.

But, it doesn't have that nice booming sound BG80 has with smashes, which sounds so good in an empty gym. NBG99 instead has a slightly higher pitched sound.

Didn't have an issue with touch at the net or sliced dropshots, I'm generally good at those shots.

I'm seriously considering getting a reel of NBG99 instead of BG80. The price difference is about $15 however :(

2. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Just to clarify on my previous post, there is a difference between strings for me when playing plastics. I would prefer 0.66mm at or less and higher tension 26lbs.+ for feathers though.

As for forearm pronation, I do it both for big swings and "snaps". I forgot to mention that previously.

Anyway, should I bother prestretching either NBG99 or BG80? It might not make too much of a difference on BG80, but what about NBG99?

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

it could be that i'm a horrible stringer, but when i strung both muscle power tours, one with nbg99 and the other with vs850, same tension, same style of string pattern, same day, the nbg99 loses tension just as much as the vs850. so maybe it is a good idea to prestretch nbg99. my way of stringing does not include prestretching, by the way :)

4. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

How do you notice the tension loss? By measurement? Feel? Hitting sound?

I've been playing with NBG99 and I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't have as loud a hitting sound as BG80 but it's definitely a powerful string. I'm considering buying a reel of NBG99, even though I already ordered a reel of BG80 :(

5. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Finally broke NBG99 on my racket after about 5 or 6 months. It was strung at 25 pounds.

I would say it's a very good all rounder string. Excellent control, decent power, decent sound, nice durability. The go-to string if you want durability without excessively losing out on the other elements. However, it's a bit pricey and for me, it feels a bit too soft and lacks some power.

Back to BG80 for me.

6. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Good string overall, but if u hook to thin gauge like me, it's certainly not a bg66um
    However better than 95 & 98 for sure

7. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Lots some tension from when it was fresh, only about 6 hours of play though with quite a bit of smashing.

I will experiment stringing 1-2 lbs. higher and letting it settle.

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've been using NBG99 for some time now and it's one of my favorite strings, but it only seems to be available in white. Has anyone managed to get this in another colour?

9. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

up till now, it is only available in white.

10. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

Does anyone have any thoughts of this string compared to Zymax 70 given they're only 0.01mm difference in thickness.

11. gundamzaku

working professional
    i wasn't as technical as others, i just bang the racket frame onto the stringbed and listen to the frequency that way. :)

12. joey33

joey33 New Member

Just pick up VT80 with NBG99 last week man i tell what the boom definately there ! I have VT70 with BG80 but somehow it just not the same with the VT80 NBG99 combo lot more power to me .

13. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    what tension did you use?

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I must say, I have become a big fan of NBG99. It's in my top three strings now:
    1. NBG99
    2. BG65 (has to be at high tension, at least 28 pounds)
    3. BG66UM

15. joey33

joey33 New Member

26lbs both of them Shinichi

16. Olibog

Olibog Regular Member

Business Development
    I came across this string when our coach suggested this because it had the power & control of BG80 and the durability of BG65, I went to HK last month and bought a couple to try. Im always excited to try different strings.
    Strung it to my MX-JJS 3U with a tension of 29/27 lbs. and it has the same level of control and power with bg80 but a different hitting sound. I easily liked it except that when i played with for the 5th time, the string broke when I hit a forehand drive...kinda disapointed with that. I do not smash that often as I prefer to set points up.
    But I'm going to give it another try for my Voltric Z-Force and hopefullt it lasts longer...

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have NBG99 on my JJS 3U at around the same tension too. Feels fantastic, currently my favourite all-round string. I use it on all my racquets now.

18. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Even for plastics it's quite a beautiful string. I think it's only just less powerful than my experience with BG80. Of course the control is identical to that of the BG80 since the string roughness is about the same. I'm thinking about going down 1 lb. for my optimal tension. It's funny, I play better with BG80 at 1 lb. higher than with NBG99 even though BG80 is thinner.

My top 3 strings at the moment are: BG80, NBG99, and BG66 Maxima.

19. davinci..

davinci.. Regular Member

Ended up having a horrible experience with this strings!!
    had it blow out after just a month of play.. 2 times a week tops. Strung at 23(m)x25(c) on a Tantrum 300. Just one month, a handful of sessions.
    The strings characteristics were great! While they lasted, I expected durability to be higher than the 98's I was coming from which lasted around 5 months of 2-3 times a week play.

Something about the rougher coating(which is whats supposed to give it, its control feeling) doesn't seem to allow the strings to slide against each other, resulting in them abrading themselves down in no time at all, compared to the much slicker coating of the 98's. Even though the 98's are thinner at .66

Just about all of the string joints in the sweet spot area of the racket were frayed bad in just a month, i've never seen a string tear itself apart that quickly.. Was I just horribly unluck? it wasn't just one failure point. Did the stringer somehow string these up wrong? It was done at one of Toronto's biggest badminton shops.

Any reason for an experience like this? to have them only last 1 month?

20. gundamzaku

working professional
    strangely i find that with rough strings it's better to string it at a higher than normal tension so that there's less chance for it to rub against each other, at least for my tension and my hitting style. but for more slippery strings, it's ok to have it strung at lower tension and let it slide around a bit. now this is just strictly for preserving the string and has absolutely nothing to do with playability :)