The ultimate all rounder racket for doubles?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by SSSSNT, Sep 24, 2012.

1. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

actually the FX = flex
    the racket is medium stiffness (more flexible than the other nanoray 700RP which is stiff)

2. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I own a 700FX, it is MUCH stiffer than my Armortec 50 that is rated as medium flex.

I also own an Armortec 500 that is rated as stiff, I would place the 700FX as stiffer, although head weight could be the deciding factor in this comparison. :)

3. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hahahaa ... I am not at all surprised there is NO CONSENSUS :D ... IN FACT, I will be worried IF there is an ULTIMATE choice that everyone agrees to as it will imply that racquet development has reached its "end" (zenith) point .... :eek: - btw, I still feel that Carbonex 20 is THE "ULTIMATE" graphite-based racquet in badminton (the yardstick and reference point) ... ;)

#23 maxout, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i respectfully disagree, i've played with both back to back and my fx is stiffer than my rp, just my opinion i guess

5. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

1. Any brand is fine
    2. Any price
    3. Anything but bright pink racket

Just your average player. I think I'm okay at everything but excels at none and usually beat opponent through shot placement. That's why I think I need an all rounder racket cause I need to balance my attack and defense.

I had hoped everyone can find faults with the suggestions above as to why it's not the ultimate all rounder (i.e NS100 is too head heavy to be the ultimate all rounder, or too light, or not light enough, or not enough technology, etc) so it can be cut down.

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

All right, since you asked, so be prepared to ....

Go and try the venerable and iconic YONEX CARBONEX 20 (or Cab 20 SP as it is called today)... it has been made and still in production since 1985 ... if it is not the best all-rounder (despite its "age" and oval head design), than I don't know what is, since it sits SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of all Yonex racquet charts for EQUAL EVERYTHING since .... wow, that long !!! :eek: :p and each time I test a new Yonex or Victor , ... in my head, I will always ask, ".... hmmm ... how does this feel against my Cab20 that is in the bag ... then I take out my Cab20 to compare and before you know it ... starts playing ... and the "new" racquet remains in the bag hahahahaaa .... !! " :D

Give the Cab 20 a GOOD and FAIR try, don't prejudge it because of its "age" or "old tech and oval design" and "old material used (plain old graphite, no fancy nano-this and that ... " ... if you give it a FAIR & UNBIASED TRY, you will love the Cab 20 as the "ULTIMATE" ALL ROUNDER for singles and doubles !! .... how else do you think it can OUTLAST all the other models .... ;)

I have been using one (well, 3) since 1992 .... ;) and still do so today ...

PS: The ONLY "BAD" THING that I heard "young" people today say about the Cab20 is that it is "OLD" - old tech, old design, old material, old this, old that , old , my daddy's or grandaddy's generation ... BUT no one that I know after trying it bitched about its swing, response, quickness, weight, balance etc etc etc ... hehehee ... they just say, it is "OLD" .... hehehe ... OLD IS GOLD in this case ...

Give it the "old" Cab 20 a try ... who knows .... you may love it even more than me !! :p

#26 maxout, Sep 24, 2012
  7. maxout

maxout Regular Member

#27 maxout, Sep 24, 2012
  8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

This is strictly my UNDERSTANDING .... I may be wrong but this is the impression I get ...

Since the Carbonex 20 (the "LAST" true all rounder racquet), Yonex "seems" to be focusing its R&D efforts in developing racquets FOR SPECIFIC STYLE OF PLAY ...

Example based on the latest series: Voltric and Armotec (offensive style), Nanoray and Nanospeed (defensive) ...

From what I can see, Yonex is maintaining the Carbonex series as its ONLY SOLE SERIES in the all-rounder range with the Carbonex 20 sitting at the apex of being truly both offensive and defensive racquet for both singles and doubles - an EVEN- BALANCED and EVEN EVERYTHING racquet ... the latest Carbonex, Cab35 and Cab50 themselves are tweaks with slight inclination on either sides of playing style ...

So, if you are looking for a TRUE BLUE ALL ROUNDER ... look no further than the Carbonex 20 ... an "old man/woman" of 28 years old (born 1984) !! :D

BTW, Carbonex 20 is NOT CHEAP (RRP in Malaysia RM409.90, made in Japan) !! :eek: :( Personally, I have found the Carbonex 8000Ti (RRP RM119.90 - made in Taiwan) to be a good budget alternative to Cab 20 and I am letting my kids used them.

#28 maxout, Sep 24, 2012
  9. zaviour

zaviour Regular Member

N55II might be a good choice as well..

10. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

Arcsaber series of rackets is what I think Yonex R&D developed (apart from Carbonex) for all-round play.

To the OP:

If there are no particular preferences towards brand, price or appearance, the best bet would be to go with all-round rackets such as Arcsaber (say Arc 7?). Another good way to find feedback about similar rackets from other brands is to find out which rackets are similar (Arc 7) from Victor (may be BraveSword).

Ultimately, the ultimate doubles racket is the one with which you can play your best game. :D

11. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I don't have the luxury of trying out rackets so I would have to buy it based on theory. I am an average player who do okay in everything, excels in none. Usually beat my opponent through good shuttle placement.

After theorizing, I conclude that the ultimate all around racket for singles and doubles are different. Since doubles are quicker, I would think a great all around racket would have to be excellent in defense while still good in offense. How about these criteria for a start:

- 3U head light or 4U even balance
    - Medium flex
    - Isometric frame
    - Speed features (i.e thin shaft, frame)
    - Decent power
    - Excellent for shot placement

What would be the ultimate racket with these criteria? Or is my theory wrong?

12. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    There is no ultimate doubles racket at all. There is an ultimate signature play style from you. For me, now I'm in love with my ArcSaber 8DX which allows me to play very good doubles games with a bunch of powerful smashes, fast pace, aggressive play style, and maintaining control (drop, slice, net kill...).

13. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Carlton Vapour trail tour might be another one to consider, mid flex, mid balance quite light overall but not ridiculously light. I think the 8DX might be a little too stiff for a general all around racket for a "general" player. Might struggle slightly to generate power.

14. radmaszeal

radmaszeal Regular Member

engineer
    another few i would suggest is wilson blx vertex, super waves 36, arc10, forza ti550 S

in my opinion
    power: arc10>ti550S=sw36>blx vertex (but blx vertex can pack a mean punch to)
    drives: blx vertex>sw36=ti550S=arc10
    net: blx vertex> sw36=ti550S=arc10
    feel: blx vertex>ti550S>sw36>arc10 (arc10 feels abit mushy or numb)

in terms of BP arc10>ti550=sw36>vertex. but the vertex itself isnt head light, slightly head heavy. dry bp290mm, i'm getting 300mm wet. arc10 308mm same setup.

would also suggest apacs slayer 99 but it is very stiff. abit headlight, but awesome for drives, aero frame is fast and has decent power too.

i am loving the vertex, thinking of getting a spare, or maybe try F9 or mx60, specs seem not too far off.

15. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

Here come the other brands in the mix.. Apacs, Carlton, Wilson. :D

The above attributes look about right for doubles. However, 3U or 4U depends on the technique, 4U could cause some trouble in generating enough power for smashes or clears from the back of the court (may require more effort). I went through a racket selection phase recently (specifically Yonex), and feel the Arcsaber series is what you should be looking for.

Perhaps you could make the above list as a checklist and run few of the shortlisted rackets through it. The racket that ticks the maximum boxes is the one you should go for.

16. pyshuttler

pyshuttler Regular Member

Sounds like you are looking for Arcsaber 7

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    we all have different playing style, no two are alike, so whatever racket suits your playing style best is deemed the "ultimate" weapon of choice. pretty simple.

18. gundamzaku

working professional
    bought my vapour trail tour last wkend, love the paint job, shiny silver, maybe i'm just flamboyant. just holding it feels like a 3u, but swinging it feels a lot heavier than you would expect from a 3u. packs a punch for smashes but (at least to me) sluggish in the front court while pushing the shuttle back down with drives. kinda flexible so it helps with my whippy backhand.

19. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

I think the Yonex Arcsaber 9 FL (4U) would also fit the bill well.

20. maxout

maxout Regular Member

So I guess this mean you are not going to give good old Carbonex 20 a look at all then ? ;)

Poor Carbonex, sniff, sniff .... :p - well, good luck with your search :D

PS: Go and give Victor Bravesword 11 a swing .... it meets all your listed criteria ...