APACS review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by IBaddersI, May 23, 2008.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

sorry...you did what?
    ;)

Glad to see it survived...But should "just playing badminton" with it be a good enough test?
    I don't know about you, but I don't have to beat any dumpsters away from me with my racket in day to day life...

:p

2. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Oops. I should have put a smiley after my reply to the "Shaf" misspelling of "shaft" on the endcap photo comment that I may have gotten a fake. No, the racket is genuine.

I cut the handle down in length and it helps my style of playing because when I play the back position in doubles, I intuitively grip right to the end where the endcap is. It's the same as holding it further up the handle but I like feeling the endcap. It's just my preference YMMV.

Oops #2... I also forgot to mention those rackets I bash were already injured and needed to be put down. I like to see how strong each racket's material is in a severe impact. I use the same bin behind my home and hit each racket the same way - once on the rim and once on the shaft.

3. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    well sure, but some ebay sellers are powerhouses compared to others...

anyways, back to what i said earlier 2 rackets for 55 usd sounds too good to be true.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I emailed racquet_sports a while ago and he also sells yonex rackets are normal prices so i think his apacs are real. People who try to make fakes are likely more to copy a large company like yonex rather than a small company such as apacs.

5. Soony

Soony Regular Member

Student
    Woo , what apacs racquets are you guys aiming for?

6. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

I'm getting my Nano Pro 9600 Tour and Nano 900 Power (Red) sometime this June and I just got my EdgeSaber 10 and Visible Hollow 1300 that actually has the "t" in "shaft".

7. PlayMyStyle

PlayMyStyle Regular Member

Student
  8. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    A spammer, someone please block him.

9. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
    Did you get them from racquet_sports? I was watching some of his items for sale at the big auction site yesterday, and today they were all gone.

10. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

Yea I emailed him asking why all of his items are gone. I was kind of surprised too.

11. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    Well he sent me my Nano 900 Power and Edge Saber 7 Today :). Will be able to post a review soon.

12. weinsteinium

weinsteinium Regular Member

Choking up on the handle (gripping it nearer the cone) will reduce the swingweight (effectively the amount of energy required to swing the racket on your stroke) but doesn't affect the total weight of the racket.

Removing the end of the handle will reduce the swingweight by more (because swingweight is a function of total weight and the distance between the axis of rotation (the point on the handle that the racket rotates around when swinging)) and reduce the overall weight of the racket. That should help with fatigue and help when moving the racket in a non-rotational way (like bringing it up after a smash or moving it from the forehand side to the backhand side).

As for how much of a difference it makes, um, I don't know. Maybe if he posts the weight before and after the modification (before the overgrip mod) I could estimate the difference.

13. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    The weight difference is less than 2 grams. That weight itself shouldn't matter much. As a reference, a Canadian penny is just over 2 grams. The difference I feel, IMO, is due to the decrease in length of the racket when I hold it right to the endcap. You can get a similar effect by wrapping extra tape at the tapered are a of the cap which would make your grip be further toward the cone.

14. koowakchai

koowakchai Regular Member

Where did you buy it for RM130?
    :confused:

15. weinsteinium

weinsteinium Regular Member

I agree that 2 grams doesn't seem like much but the difference between a very light racket (4U) at 82g and a heavy racket at 92g (2U) is only 10 grams. 2 grams 1/5 of that difference and you can probably feel the difference.

That said, the biggest effect is shortening the racket because of you are shortening the lever arm. If you consider the racket to be made up of thousands of tiny points, each point would effect the swingweight using the formula m*(r^2) where m is mass and r is the distance from point of rotation (i.e. your grip). By shortening the racket, the r for each of those points gets smaller and the total swingweight is significantly affected.

When you choke up on a racket you make the distance to the end of the racket shorter and you add some mass behind your grip. Because the distance to the head of the racket makes much more of a difference in the swingweight than the distance to the butt of the racket (due to the fact that r is squared in the formula), the effective swingweight is significantly lowered.

By the same token, adding weight at the point of your grip (i.e. overgrip) makes much less of a difference to the swingweight than adding weight to the head of the racket (say lead tape).

16. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    You can get Edge saber 10 for only RM91.45 which includes string and grip from Topper Sports Sdn Bhd located at Ampang Park

17. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    Does anyone know an up to date contact email/website for APACS? (English please)

18. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I see we agree. You provided the details. This is why balance point measurements are not very meaningful (the point of measurement should be of a force where you grip the racket) and why I remove factory lead tape from the handle of my rackets.

Update on my VH1700: The paint is flaking off the cone in big pieces. So far I don't see anything on the surface that would make it have any "antivibration" properies. The plastic is an ugly turquoise colour. I'm willing to forgive this because the cone's shape is perfect for when I serve and play at the net. It has nicely defined flat sides

19. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

www.[B]apacs[/B]canada.com

20. allexking

allexking Regular Member

Senior Property Executive
    I bought it @ RM130.00 (grip + string)
    I thought is a good deal.
    But your purchase even a better one.