most difficult shot to master

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Aug 23, 2007.

?

most difficult shot to master

1. clear

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. lift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. drop

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. smash

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. straight net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. crosscourt net

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    it is clearly the backhand reverse slice.

2. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    it is definitely a great feeling when you start slicing drops, its so tight and the people that don't know how to slice are just amazed at how tight the drop is and how consistent it is.

3. gary_seeker

gary_seeker Regular Member

Students
    all of taufik backhand skill is the hardest one to master. The hardest is of course as mentioned before the cross court clearance

4. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    To me definitely is a backhand crosscourt to the other end ! you must have a very powerful backhand swing .

5. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    Most difficult shot to master is i guess taufik backhand smash that the greatest backhand weapon:D if u can master that woah that it that will be your weapon:D cause people tends to attack your weak point which is backhand:D

6. carlo

carlo Regular Member

I would vote for backhand from the back left corner when the shuttle is already past you. I'm not sure if this is the proper name for it; it's a shot that has a netshot-like footwork into the back corner and the shuttle is hit at around shoulder level. On the forehand side I can hit a straight clear but a backhand is much harder, also because you can't see where your opponent is (though he's usually at the net waiting for a weak drop).

7. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    Yeap..! I would interpret it as a light smash straight parallel into opponent court. That is quite a tough one to do...! Infact, there are many shots that is very difficult and challenging in the court that you actually could brought up in this discussion. Some may find difficult and some may rate it as very difficult. ....:D

8. Aesir

Aesir Regular Member

Going to have to say backhand from the back left corner (for a right hander), especially if the shuttle's behind you. It's really hard to get any sort of power from that position and not being able to see the opponent doesn't help very much either.

I always try to avoid this shot by trying to get to it before it gets low and trying to hit it up around my head, but if that doesn't work I try and go for a backhand cross court drop which doesn't work all the time but I reckon its better to try that than see the shuttle fly back at your face :D

9. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I just learnt a new thing that I'm still working on-backhand corner crosscourt half smash-take a look at badminton tv<--I think it was but it's somewhere in the threads of bc. That shot actually saved me a couple of times =).

10. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

I believe the smash is the most difficult to master. By mastering, you are:

Using it efficiently and at the optimum time.
    Creating the downward angle that forces them to lift or block.
    Using the rotation to move back to the base.
    If jump smash, the timing and the height.
    Placing the bird in a spot which forces them to lift again.

11. timmehtong

timmehtong Regular Member

In my point of view the hardest shot to master will depend on the player.

For me smashing, drive, cross court drop, clearing, and lifting are the simplest technqiues ever. Smash controlling as well was easy. I always have a lot of power and speed, but my drops are too high and it becomes dangerous. Cross court only works because since i have too much power the amount of distributed along the way. Back court dropping is a tough one as well.

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    that's profound :eek:

13. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Crosscourt jumpsmash and the diving block

How about Lee Chong Wei's Crosscourt jumpsmash?

He may not jump smash as hard as Taufik or Lin Dan but hell of difficult to defend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bsYcNvEz4
    @ 0.53 and @ 3.14 the crosscourt smash or @4.50 and @BCL's 4.55

That is quite difficult to pull off. I observe time and again very effective...it's more than 50% a straight kill.
    I tried doing the sliced drop shot motion combined with full arm swing to generate extreme racquet head speed....but the sliced racquet angle prevents full power of the smash-compared to the shuttle is hit square on.

Or the desparate diving block to catch a smash.:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFITT_uSXgc

Knee pad or wrist guard recommended:D

14. timmehtong

timmehtong Regular Member

well really does. Mastery depends on what type of player you are. My friends can't master clearing and I mastered it. But unfortunately I can't master dropping,

15. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I found it hardest to learn to forehand clear properly. Clearing is like the most important technique of all, and it took me quite a long time to realise that I had to swing at a high position, using my wrist instead of my shoulder/arm. I could finally, continuously full-court clear and do offensive full-court clears after more than two years of practises.. But yeah, my skills improved greatly after getting coaching :D.

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Easy Does It

The shot most difficult to master is the winning shot. :)

How often have you messed up that easy last shot which should have won you the match? :cool:

Badminton history is replete with instances of botched last shots that robbed a few of prestigious crowns or cost a few their careers or earned a few the loathing of an entire nation. :eek:

Two pages from yesterday:

To his eternal regret, Liem Swie King wasted three match-points by consecutively putting three simple smashes into the net (followed by a wild backhand swing when receiving at 17-17) allowing Han Jian to establish China's superiority over Indonesia in 1980 when the two nations fought each other in the 'Friendly Series' in neutral Singapore. So cross and disgusted was King with himself that he flung his racquet to the ground. :(

16 years later, another player did the same to his racquet after succumbing to one of the greatest comebacks in recent history. :D

As Lee Chong Wei fought his way up from 13-20 down in Game 3 of the 2006 Malaysian Open MS Final, Lin Dan ruined three easy and consecutive opportunities to wrap up the game - at 17-20, 18-20 and 19-20. Worse, tied at 21-21, he netted a sitter of a smash to give Chong Wei a match-point... and the match as well. (To compound his misery, Lin Dan received a red-card too.) :)

In other words, the easiest shot is the hardest to master :)

17. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Very good point.
    I've seen so many matches where players are struggeling, and gettiing the shuttle back in an incredibe way, but very often they seem to mess up at the next easy shot. I've many times seen lin dan throw himself at full stretch to recover a smash, getting up so quickly and really making it the next shot very early, and then messing up.

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yeah, but wasnt that after a long rally ?
    It's really amazing how he can dive from one side to another and then quickly recover to perform a jump smash. :rolleyes:

#138 jhirata, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  19. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Of course it's amazing. But that's not the point. He get's back an incredibly hard one, and then messes up on a simple shot. I was just trying to illustrate oldhand's point.

20. smileysoon

smileysoon Regular Member

technologist
    behind the back tap is hard, I like to do this once a set to fool the opponent. Shoulder does get sore.