Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you prefer the players not to be sent out to tournaments? Because that was what was happening before.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

Ewe Hock: BAM need a supremo to take charge of team

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian badminton needs a supremo — a chief coach with full control to make decisions on team matters.
    Former national No. 1 Ong Ewe Hock feels such a person is needed to run the show as there were too many meddling hands interfering with the team.
    “In China, Li Yongbo calls the shots on coaching and training. He selects the players and monitors the coaches. The management are there to support but not to interfere. In Malaysia though, we don’t have one, but many, involved in decision making in coaching and training matters,” said Ewe Hock, who hopes his frank assessment will be taken in the right spirit.
    In the singles department, Rashid Sidek is the chief coach but only for the men as the women are under Chi Shanrong. In the doubles, Tan Kim Her is the chief coach but only for the men. He has no say in the programmes run by Rexy Mainaky for the women’s doubles and Jeremy Gan for the mixed doubles.
    All these coaches and players are under two teams of overseers — the coaching and training committee headed by BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai, and the four-man high performances team comprising Chin Chai, Wong Ah Jit, Datuk James Selvaraj and Mohd Ariffin Ghani.
    Ariffin came into the picture at a later state as BAM felt that it was important to also have input from the National Sports Council (NSC) and this team’s job is only until the London Olympics.
    “There are just too many heads. The Thomas Cup Finals are coming up (May 20-27 in Wuhan) and I wonder who is calling the shots on the selection of players — the management or the coaches? The coaches should know best.
    “There should be one chief coach or even one coaching director. He should make decisions and be responsible or be accountable for it. If he fails, he should go.”
    Ewe Hock, who is currently co-owner of the company that promotes the badminton brand XTRM, recalled his 10-year stint as a national player from 1992 to 2002.
    “I was under seven coaches — Yang Yang, Han Jian, Morten Frost Hansen, Misbun Sidek, Chen Changjie, Park Joo-bong and Indra Gunawan. I think Malaysia’s singles enjoyed their best year under Indra. We had about five to seven players in the top rankings. Indra had the say in selection matters.”
    In fact, Indra’s boldness in giving youngsters Lee Tsuen Seng and Mohd Hafiz Hashim a chance to feature in the 2002 Thomas Cup Finals in Guangzhou bore fruit when Malaysia reached the final after upsetting China in the semi-finals.
    Ewe Hock also hoped that the selection of players would be more open.
    “The best players should represent the country. In the United States, a special trial for the Olympic Games is conducted and it is open to everyone. Only the best get to go. If they are injured or unable to make it to the trials, they don’t get selected,” said Ewe Hock.
    “There are more clubs mushrooming in Malaysia. Their players should be given an equal chance and opportunity to represent the country. There should be healthy rivalry as eventually the nation will benefit.”
    Ewe Hock said he was happy to note BAM’s improved financial position.
    “Many major companies are supporting the national body and this is good. Those days, BAM used to delay payments because of financial constraints. Now, they can send more juniors for international tournaments. I used to receive RM1,300 as a senior player and now, a back-up player gets that. This is good,” he said.
    On the current top two singles players in the world — Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan — Ewe Hock said: “They are skilful and are special with their own styles but, eventually, the outcome of matches between these two players boils down to who is mentally stronger.
    “Remember this year’s Australian Open final (between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic)? Physically, Djokovic was a spent force but he showed great mental strength to win it. This factor will determine who wins at this year’s Olympic Games.”

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    cannot lah
    they need a lotsssss of head to lead bam
    because there is a lots of yummy salary to earn
    and everytime they meet up,they spend even more,before decide any rubbish

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    remember they wanted to hire some dunno what hpd or what
    how much they spend on advertisement for vacancy??
    how much they spend on meeting?
    in the end?
    hehe
    another post for 3 of them,more allowance,higher salary
    hehe,what a wonderful world?

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Time to join the gang and loot it. Lol

6. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

nope.. thats not my point .. my point is.. no improvements yet.. i found that very disturbing.. i was wishing .. that the new guard would have learnt the hard realities of a 'post LCW malaysian badminton' and start upping the ante.. by now. but no.. its still the same... first .. second . third round casualties...

... still depressed by our crappy showing at axiata...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So you feel everybody should be a winner straight away?

8. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    No Moderator Cheung, I think what pajrul meant was this batch of players (apart from the youngsters that just made transition from junior level to senior's) already has experience in international tourneys, but they still far behind compared to same batch, even younger batches from China, Indonesia, Japan...we know they're talented, we've seen them play, but why they're still falling behind?

This is why Ewe Hock made this statement; too many heads in BAM for making the best decision. We need a supremo to really handle and have a say in coaching and training matters (someone with the solid background of this sport). I think MAS baddy fans have a little bit of hope when BAM decided to hire a High Performance Director. But instead BAM hired themselves: Ng Chin Chai (lawyer who handles training programs), Kenny Goh (gen. manager), and James Selvaraj (who once asked what was he really supposed to do in BAM). Bam's president background is ex chairman of Proton (MAS motor industries).

This so called dilemma has been discussing so long, it stinks.

9. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

hope all the heads in BAM are not the cronies...

10. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

exactly!!!! thats what i mean.. thank you aikachan...thank god we still have talents.. but somebody needs to step up and get them to fulfill/realize their potential

#290 pajrul, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ...except that most who could "step up" to realise the potential, have "stepped down" or been made to "step away"...

12. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

CXJ - Lydia Cheah 21-15 21-16 [0:32]

Too say that Lydia Cheah lacks experience is totally untrue. I wonder whats going on in MAS WS department?

13. extremenanopowe

Lack of Intensity during training and during tournament? Malas. ;)

14. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Really ahh?? Although I hope thats not the case. Maybe they go through the same routine of training without addressing the problems and make some changes to tackle them.

15. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Lydia is studying... so she is not commited to training at all.

16. extremenanopowe

My guess is BAM just throw them into the kandang. See which one can swim out of it. ;) So far only lcw. lol. ;)

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    again i insist
    any player who opt to study along with training
    dont put high hope on them.

18. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    They try to get both worlds but might end up lose all.. Unless the athlete/student is very brilliant & fit, it is very hard to going through that challenge.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yeah
    many thought it was safe than only concentrate in one aim
    but that was what destroyed the hope and possibility.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, usually you can only pick one except in MAS, only Nicol.