DinkALot's Badminton String Review

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DinkAlot, Nov 29, 2006.

1. varsis

varsis Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You could try BG-80P, it's more resilient/durable than BG-80, holds tension reasonably well and has the characteristics you're after. However, everyone seems to like different strings, some people will hate the BG-80P, some people will like it...

2. wingzer0

wingzer0 Regular Member

After many years with BG80s, soon i'll be giving ZM62 a go. By the sound of it from here and elsewhere, it should suit me very nicely

3. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I've read about 40 pages in the Zymax strings thread and the ZM62 is prone to breakage due to mishits, durability ranged from 10 minutes to weeks. Of course the low end of durability was mostly because of higher tensions e.g. 27 lbs. I read recommendations (for feather) for tensions to be < 25 lbs. If you wanted to string ZM62 at 27 lbs. but found it was too fragile, a decent alternative would be ZM65 at 28-29 lbs. or ZM67 at 29-30 lbs. and ZM70 at 30+ lbs.

If you have the time and enough rackets, trying out each of the strings in the zymax range would be quite beneficial for your game as well as the community, should you post a review =)

Good luck!

#443 phaaam, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  4. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    Sir D, any findings that you would like to share?
    (or I am blind and couldnt see the refresh...)

5. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

Just wondering if any bros string their racket with gosen pro 70?

6. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

Hi Dink
    Just wondering if you had any chance to write up your thoughts on some of the newer strings that aren't on the table? I'm quite keen to see your thoughts on the NBG99.

7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    So Dink, when are you going to add BG66UM, VS850 and ZM62 to this table?

8. wingzer0

wingzer0 Regular Member

I'm not a professional player, but I play very competently and competitively. I always string at 24lbs because that suits my game. So here's my opinion of the ZM62

So I've had the chance to compare the Zymax 62 against BG66UM. Having never tried both before I thought it's a fair comparison because both are unfamiliar to me. The Zymax 62 felt a little bit numb to me compared to the BG66UM at 24lbs and doesn't leave much margin for mishits. I'm a very attacking player and BG66UM gives me the confidence in my smashes and drops. The ZM62 though, if you manage not to mishit and connect perfectly, the feeling is heavenly ^^.
    It took me a while to get used to the drops because the repulsion was so much in both the strings but the BG66UM allowed me to hit drops slightly off centre whereas the ZM62 didn't leave much room if I didn't hit it dead centre off the racket. A few days later I mishit a smash and the ZM62 broke off at 11 o'clock on the racket
    This is the second Ashaway string i've tried at 24lbs (first being the micropower white). Both are rubbish to me at the tension I play at and don't give me the feel like I used to have with the BG80. However I play with people who swear by the ZM62 and the micropower white at their specific tension (27lbs - 28lbs) so....each to their own :)

9. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Can someone suggest me a good string which holds tension very well ? My string tension would be 25 by 25. I have Arcsaber 6

#449 kbase, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. jasonlhb

jasonlhb Regular Member

Wellness Coach (Weight Loss, Weight Gain, Healthy
    Hi, I'm looking advise of best string for my tension at 26lbs
    I am smashing a lot during the games, so consider hard hitter?
    First, I want the hitting sound, personally mentally have good performance due to the hitting sound
    second, repulsive power of the string

I think above two is what i concern and try to figure my personal best string. Any Expert can help :) thanks

11. SuperAustinChu

SuperAustinChu Regular Member

Student
    Try BG98>BG66UM>BG80P, those are my personal fav and options. BG80P felt a bit numb when I smash so yeah... and 98 before 66UM due to durability. But if money and stringing aint a problem, I'll go for 66UM.

12. SuperAustinChu

SuperAustinChu Regular Member

Student
    Ehh... is durability/ cost a concern to you? And what is your play style? Control/ Hard hitter?

13. kelvin316

kelvin316 Regular Member

hi there, I'm a recreational player, singles, I'm more to offensive style and a heavy smasher. I'm currently using voltric 80 w/ bg66um @ 24/26 tension, I'm planning to increase my tension to 26/27. I've only been using bg66 and bg66um all the while. would anyone mind recommending some strings which might suite me ? Thank you.

14. eppixx

eppixx Regular Member

can you update this please?

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I read everytime here that everybody is a hard hitter or heavy smasher. Maybe I'm the only weak smasher who wasn't afraid to register here?;)
    Why do you want to increase your tension? This is the key element to recommend you a string.

16. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    You are not the only one, I'm also a weak smasher.

The main reason to increase tension is becaue of control, and I don't think it's wrong to still use BG66

17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I know this. I'm playing in the low 30's and I'm also a stringer.;) Some people don't know the benefits and downsides of higher tension. Some people tend to increase tension to get more power which is mostly wrong. I had a customer who plays Badminton for over 20 years. I recommended BG65 @22lbs because durability was the most important issue. During the training she came to me and said that the tension is not high enough, because she can't clear properly. I ping her spare which was 3 lbs lower. :D Not everybody knows the effects.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, I'd noticed that too.

"I am an intermediate player who likes to smash, so I guess my style is heavy-hitting attacker".

"I am an intermediate/advanced attacking player. I like to win rallies with powerful smashes and sudden drops. Can someone please recommend me a racket to help with clears? They always land short of the doubles serving line."

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    "I'm playing once a week with my friends since a year. I'm an attacking player. No dropshots, just hitting fast clears and heavy smashs. No drives or netting. I bought a VTZFIILD 3U a few weeks ago. I'm using BG66UM @26 lbs, but my smashs can be easily returned. Should I go for ZM62 @28lbs or NBG98 @30lbs? BTW I'm using SC4 but my footwork is slow. Should I upgrade to a lighter shoe like SHBF1NLTD to be quicker on the court?"

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Is this some kind of weak-smasher-self-support-group? Perfect, I am happy to join! :)

I also have to smile a bit when I read posts from all those recreational heavy smashers around here. In the clubs that I have played up to now, I practically never encoutered this combination in real life. So I guess that "heavy" is a very elastic term when it comes to hitting smashes.

For the short time that I am stringing rackets, I already had surprisingly many interesting discussions with clubmates when it comes to decide the tension. Last week, a female clubmate handed me her racket and demanded a "quite hard" tension. When I looked at the stringbed, I noticed at least 3 strings that had broken before and were only mended (honestly, is anyone really still doing this?!). So basically, there had to be zero tension left in the stringbed. She also was fully convinced that the higher the tension, the bigger the power. We ended up with a 9,5 kg and after a couple of rallies, she was completely stunned how hard her strings felt. Surprise, surprise...