Net blocking

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jwu42, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

It's annoying and frustrating that your opponent is trying to legally defend from a netkill? What should they do, turn around and give up like many pros do when the opponent jumps for a netkill? It is their side of the court, isn't it? And as mentioned by others, if they obstruct your follow-through, you win, and if you push to the rear, you win. Still sounds like a very favourable situation.

2. killass

killass Regular Member

Yes because when you make a tight net shot and your oponent a poor, you are in a good situation to netkill...but no, you can't netkill or you will shock rackets.

Just look at Lin Dan or LCW, they can defend net kill aha :D.

3. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Yes, this is rather annoying in club play when they try to block my net kill follow-through (contact on my side). If I do follow through, there will be a racket clash, and my $100 racket will likely break. Since I'd rather keep my racket, I'm forced to lift. Sigh.

4. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Then you must be really annoyed when the shuttle clips the net and comes over as it's nearly impossible to return those as they are so tight. This forces you to do a lift that probably won't make it or if it does, it's so shallow that it's an easy kill.

What I get annoyed at is when my partner or I fail to kill off an easy point (e.g. when the front player smashes an easy kill into the net - DOH!). I do not get annoyed if my opponent makes a great play, either offensive or defensive - otherwise I would not want to play better players. Plus, if you ever play v-ball, it's normal to try to block

Also, the net kill swipe isn't a hard swing like a smash, so even if the rackets do clash, it shouldn't cause a break - maybe a paint chip at most.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

What a brilliant video! Great to see Ken Jonassen having a laugh about it as well:D.

6. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I was referring to my tap down of of a loose shot (say 1 feet above tape), not brush kill. Brush kill can be returned sometimes.

Nope. I appreciate opponent's good play such as a tight net shot. They bring out the best play in me.

7. Tony2504

Tony2504 Regular Member

C9vil Servant
    Blocking the net when the shuttle is above the tape is certainly a fault because it prevents a legitimate follow through (see rule 13.4.4). Blocking when your opponent is about to play a lift or a net shot is not expressedly a fault (although I think it used to be many years ago) but is it prohibited under rule 13.4.5 - distracting your opponet? I think that it is because the offender is not attempting to play a shot at all - the shuttle had not even been touched by the other player. It also causes a risk to players and rackets and is arguably a misconduct (which is a fault).

8. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

Well it IS legal but only in case that you DO NOT HAVE YOUR RACKET ON OPPONENTS SIDE OF THE NET

9. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

I have to doubt the legality of this shot, i can see why its nearly useless in singles- there's no way they can get a push back. But in doubles... if the shot was legal surely all the pro's would be using it as the rear court player could retrive a clear/push?... i don't know

10. narnia

narnia Regular Member

1. It maybe very difficult to judge the intention of the racket lifting: it may be just defensive actions in a speedy play.

2. The blocking action can be considered as a legitimate freedom of play from the opponent's view point.

3. The player may have to watch the defensive blocking action from his or her opponent and execute different ways of attack to prevent any crash.

Overall, I suspect that the rule was adopted in favor of the defense side.

:)

#30 narnia, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  11. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Actually, I saw it's happening more in singles and it works sometimes.

In doubles, it is practically very difficult to use it due to the far speedy plays.

:)

#31 narnia, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  12. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    One of my friends does this in singles. He jumps in to the net, then makes some kind of noise to put you off. The best thing to do is lift it back, they're too close to the net to meaningfully return your shot.

If they are so close to the net chances are they messed up their previous shot and the net thing is a do or die manoeuvre. So you are on the offensive in this case, so have nothing to fear.

Trying to kill the shot is not necessarily a good idea, as their racket will be there hoping to hit it. Although if you do succeed you'll probably scare them off a bit, especially if you hit them or their racket. Even more so if they're using yonex "insert expensive model here" and you put a cheap racket in your bag, just to play them :D

13. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    i do the net block when im messing about with my mates not in proper games.

the downfall of the shot is that if you do it at one side of the court you are exposed for a cross court which most the time they do and win the point (this is only in non serious games)

14. narnia

narnia Regular Member

In amateur plays, the intentional and repeated exercises of this type of action will be considered "dirty" plays to your opponents and they will have difficulties to enhance their genuine skills.

15. Tony2504

Tony2504 Regular Member

C9vil Servant
    It is eactly because of what is said about a quick return would defeat this move that makes such a move pointless as legitimate play - it is nothing more than a move to distract an opponet. According to the rules, distracting an opponent when he/she is trying to play a shot is a fault. The same can be said when a plyer makes a noise when an opponet is playing or attemptiong to play a shot.

16. hockus

hockus New Member

Is this video considered as blocking the stroke or obstruction considering both the block and opponent racket stroke is very near? Chen Yu won a point here.

17. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

It's considered a legal shot. He did not leave his racket there in attempt to obstruct the opponent in any way. He took a swing at the shot which is legal unless Jonassen were to reach over on the kill and it hit Chen Yu's racket.

18. Elano

Elano Regular Member

And you're not allowed to stay still apparently, your feet have to be moving or it is classed as obstruction

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

rubbish.

it is up to umpire to decide whether blocking is obstructing the othe rplayer, but it has nothing to do with keeping moving. Intent also has no bearing.

20. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I have never heard of this rule. If someone doesn't have their feet moving but attempts a swing, I will not call a fault for obstruction.