Are there too many international badminton tournaments?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tbgoh288, Oct 1, 2013.

1. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

So many tournaments nowadays. Can hardly digest what happened in China, Japan and Indonesia and now we have this and there will be more coming up. Even fans are getting tired.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Quite true for most of the year except one or two months so much so I almost forgot about last week's INA GPG until I browsed the TV sports channel and saw the live telecast schedule for semifinal and final. This two,three months the event calendar is packed with SS and GP/GPG virtually every week until the SSF in the 2nd week of Dec. No wonder Lee CW wants to take a break in Dec even though he only plays in SS tourneys but I doubt he can do so as the SSF is held in MAS.

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    That's is one of the reason why there are so many walk over.

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yeah, non stop badminton tournaments from early September to December, what a hectic schedule which affect players performance.

BWF SS Finals ideally will be SS culminating but in reality hard to see it's one of prestigious and important tournament. The schedule is too busy in last quarter of the year.

5. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Personally I think it is best to limit the top 10 ranking players/pairs to just a maximum of 1 or,may be, 2 tournaments below the level of the SSP and WC. If any country wants them to play in its SS or Gold tournament it must compete to pay them appearance fees calculated based on the no of matches they actual play in the tournament. This way the top players will play at the most 9 tournaments (including one team competition) per year. The schedule will be less hectic, resulting in less injuries, walkovers and badminton of higher quality. Meanwhile the weaker players will have better chances to earn more money too.

#5 tbgoh288, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, have to agree with you. The SSF based on SS Standing is supposed to be the culmination of the series but unfortunately it has become a bit of an anti-climax with several really strong players for some reason or other not in the top 8 being left out. Furthermore,after a hectic schedule leading to it, some of the qualifiers may not be in fine form. Still it's very good to have the series, just that it could use better coordination and fine-tuning of the structure and scheduling between the parties involved.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

IMHO, the too-many-tournaments problem basically affects the BWF-ranked top 8/10 players who will be penalized if they skip any of the 5 Premier SS and attend fewer than 4/5 of the remaining SS. That's why even Nguyen TM was just the other day at the JPN SS interview grousing about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRGjhlofCEI

For the rest, it's a bonus to have so many tournaments to choose from according to their needs and wants. Still for them it's not easy to strike a balance and juggle between the BWF-sanctioned events and the regional championships (eg SEA Games, Commonwealth Games, Asian games, European Championships), national championships, professional leagues (eg IBL, Axiata Cup, CBSL, JPN league), and others.

It'll be great if all the parties involved work together to plan the event schedule ahead such as to accommodate each other as far as possible to create a win-win situation. Where there's a will,there's a way.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    no wonder top players rarely plays in GP/GPG events and the SS Final... here's a report back in 2010:

"The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will make it mandatory for all the top 10 singles players and doubles pairs under the world rankings to play in all five Premier Super Series and a minimum of four Super Series tournaments from next year."
    http://www.thestar.com.my/story.aspx?file=%2F2010%2F9%2F15%2Fsports%2F7033820

this is just crazy.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i think BWF should change to the following attendance requirement for top 10 players:

1) SS Final, mandatory

2) PSS, 4 out of the 5

3) SS, 3 out of the 7

4) GPG/GP, at least one, maybe two.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm thinking along the same line except for point 4 as I feel GPG is not necessary for top 10 players, let it remain optional.

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

So their way 9 weeks a year mandatory. Your way also 9 weeks mandatory, whats the difference?Mandatory 9 weeks a year seems like a very easy schedule to me, call me crazy. If players go on and choose to play too much that's their fault.

Well done to the Scots wd today btw, knocking out the 2nd seeds.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I see nothing crazy about playing 10 tourneys a year. The players other concerns, like club leagues, should come second in their consideration. Perhaps what is at fault is the money involved. Give the SS prize money equivalent to tennis Masters 1000 and you will see no player complaining. Specially if the money is distributed from the winner down to the quarters.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    **The previous posts have been moved from the London Grand Prix thread to this thread.**

Mod

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    In my proposal, the players can have a choice to skip one PSS event. Forcing people to show up at all PSS events have not worked that well, IMHO. Hopefully, my proposal gives players and coaches more flexibility.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    There is nothing crazy about 10 PSS/SS tourneys a year. It is the ten tourneys plus two other BWF events (ie, the team events in May and WC/Olympics in the Summer) AND the stupid calendar schedule which make the whole thing very hard on players. There is also the continental championships, league competitions, multi-sport events, regional games, etc.

BWF obligations, national duties, commercial/sponsors pressure, etc.

Kinda tough.

16. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I would like to say something some of you may overlook. Compare with other sports, badminton is still in it's infancy. It is still too early to tell if badminton can be as big as tennis or golf in the future. With tennis and golf, a good player not in the top 20 can enjoy a decent life style that a badminton player can only dream of. The reason being is there are a lot of tournaments in the US and Europe and we are not even compare the prize money. Tennis players and golfers only have to travel short distance to compete. While take a look at badminton tournaments, players rarely play two tournaments in the same country, they have to be in different country every time they play. In tennis or golf, one win will certainly cover the winner's expense for that year. A win in badminton will not match that. I believe all badminton players are making decision base on what is good for them. Therefore we shall not judge them too hard. I do not know badminton well enough to tell what the future will hold for badminton but I do feel a lot of BCers are over excited re walk over issue or any other matters. Give badminton time, we should be glad that we are witnessing the best era of badminton. We may not see another LD or LCW in our life time.:)

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Exactly. They don't hierarchize the different events and thus they are overwhelmed. I think it is because the different categories of event are not clearly graded. If the SSP and SS were well above the other types of events (except the WC and TC/UB/SC), there would be no problems. All in all it makes about 12 tourneys. To regroup two tourneys in three weeks on a number of occasion is also a good thing, when traveling.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    To be fair to BWF, they did a few things right starting in 2014.

Korea Open is now only a SS event, not a PSS anymore; whilst Malaysia Open is promoted to PSS. In the past, the January PSS event (ie, Korea Open) was too close to SS Final in December. Beside, Korea in early January is very cold. Malaysia in January has better weather.

China now only has one PSS/SS event. China Masters is relegated to GPG status. And China Masters and China Open are about six months apart. China Open is moved to Guangzhou; people in Guangdong is happy.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So do players have too many tournaments? Or should the number of tournaments be reduced?

The first post in this thread said there were too many tournaments - are there too many GP tournaments? What about if you are a player in the top 50. How to get ranking points?

#19 Cheung, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree. There are not to many tournaments. But only the SS are scheduled on tv. I would be happy to see the GPG on tv too, so to see different faces, different encounters on the quarters on.
    IMHO the problem is the tv rights. They must be so low, so the prizes on SS and even SSP are ridiculous.
    But then the quality of retransmission is also very low, with bad camera works, no buzz around the players and the city where the event is held, one commentator for five match in a row, almost no good replay , no statistic during the match, etc. etc.