badminton étiquette: how do you hand the bird to your opponents or your partner?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Aug 16, 2011.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I usually scoop it off the floor and aim it at them, allowing them to catch it in mid-air or bounce it off their racket.

Today I played with a dude who insisted on handing it to me, or serving it tray-like on his racket. After a while I started doing the same lol.

Anyway, was I being rude or what?

2. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

depends how close u r with yr partner or opponent...

for partner.... sometimes serve it tray like..on my racket...

for opponent..i usually just flick it closest to them..

no i dun think u r rude..

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Be careful, I think that dude just wants an excuse to accidentally touch your hand! :p ... But seriously, I have a pretty good aim with my scoop, so I just do it that way. Unless I'm right next to them, then I simply hand it over.

4. dingboy

dingboy Regular Member

Administration Executive
    This a rather interesting topic ..... :)

For opponents:

- If i'm retrieving the shuttle from the mid or rear court, i'll scoop it up and hit it back to their court in a 'friendly' manner.
    - If from the mid to front court, it's either a scoop and hit .... or an under-net flick back to their side, also in a 'friendly' manner.

Why do i say 'friendly manner'? ..... from my experience, people who return the shuttle in a less-than 'friendly' manner, are normally a poor sport or sore loser ! ..... so i try my best not to give others the same impression either. :p
    (eg; excessivley hard flick under the net, or excessivley hard hit over the net)

For partners:

- Definitely aim + scoop up to them, or a scoop + light hit back to him/her.
    I dont normally return it to them with my racket aka 'Tray style' ..... just a habit i guess. :D

5. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I just do what saves time. but then I remember that badminton started off as an aristocratic sport.

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I just scoop it and toss it towards them. If it was a female partner though, I think I'd hand it to them more nicely. Tray like on my racket or hand it off with my hands. Gotta be more friendly towards females :p

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I usually do the tray thing for my partner. When giving the bird (giving the bird: LOL!) to the opponent/s I usually gently hit it back straight to them if they are watching/alert, or somewhere near them if they are not aware that I am sending them the bird. Usually I wait for them to be generally facing me before I hit the bird back to them. Don't want them trampling the bird when they turn! :(

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badminton étiquette is always an interesting topic.

i used to do the flick thing, and i still do. but i started doing the tray one after playing with this girl and she did that. i was like, hm... girls are always nicer, so is that the nicer way to hand your partner the birdie?

passing the birdie isn't something that i consciously think about. it is like a habit already. but sometimes it is nice to go back to these things and think, have i been doing the polite thing, or not really?

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

thumpsky, this is an excellent topic. Even a small thing like how you hand the shuttle over can affect the mood of a game.

Personally I always hit/scoop the bird back to the opponent in the air so that they don't need to bend over to pick up the bird off the court. With my doubles partner I always make sure it gets to him in the air as well (for the same reason as before).

I don't do the flick thing off the mat as I generally find that less polite.

When playing XD, it's a different proposition altogether (ahem :p). I either place it directly into her hand or place it on her racket bedstring, followed by some words of encouragement or a little tap with my racket on her shoulder. :) The key is to make it as easy as possible for my partner to rack up some brownie points, hehe :p

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

As long as there is an effort to get it to the player with ease, then it's all good.

All the more important to return the bird politely to an opponent after a hard-lost point. Carelessly whacking it miles out of his way diminishes you, not the opponent.

Brownie points, madbad?
    One can see how you would be an easily distracted opponent in a game of mixed. :rolleyes:
    Oh well, just keep those "taps" on the shoulder!

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Errr... my XD record is quite paltry. Still can't put my finger on why... ;)

12. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    sometimes when i'm receiving a high scoop pass i let the bird go behind my back and i'll have my racket there (behind my back) and then let the birdie bounce over my shoulder into my awaiting left hand. takes practice but looks cool.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is best to make our game as smooth-flowing and as efficient as possible

Talking about passing the shuttlecock across the net to opponents; What annoys me is when a server (who is next to serve) is to be from a right court, we find the shuttlecock being sent to his/her partner on the left court (or vice versa). :(:(:(

14. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I hate that!!!111

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When a player finds that the shuttlecock is being sent to him/her....

:D:D:D Yes, it's not only wasting time, but also when a player finds that the shuttlecock is being sent to him/her, he/her would think that it's for him/her to serve next.

This sometimes complicates matters, as to whom is to do the Service next (especially for our less experienced players). :(:(:(

#15 chris-ccc, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  16. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

I seem to remember seeing a match (video) where a player flicked the shuttle in the air then smashed it down into the court. Obviously they where annoyed :)

I personally don't like it when people hit the feathers when passing the shuttle over.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If I lose a point through sheer stupidity and the shuttle is far from the net, I take relish in "giving it back" with some extra mustard - the distance is a good excuse:D.

18. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Always over the net when he or she is watching regardless. Don't do the tray thing, if he can't catch the shuttle in the air, he shouldn't be playing. :)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If he can't catch the shuttle in the air, he shouldn't be playing...

OMG, all players start playing Badminton as new players.

It's common to find most new players can't catch the shuttlecock in the air.

Don't tell me that they shouldn't be playing Badminton? :confused::confused::confused:

20. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

They cant catch the shuttles because u r lousy in passing back. Just kidding........I am lucky tht I don play with pure beginners( not tht I undermine them, but thts one of the reasons my regular playing group is formed). Time is very restricted nowadays, when I play I want to get something out of it, don't wish to finish a game in 5 minutes. Know what I mean?