2011 China Masters: Finals on Sunday 18-September

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei GP Gold / China Masters 2011' started by chris-ccc, Sep 17, 2011.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The law is not made for jail, and law is not about what is wrong or forbidden, except in police-orientated states.
    Not anyone is a sage that is for sure, and I am not either, but that does not leads me to say "match-fixing is all right".
    But anyway, if I am a minority not liking match-fixing, I might reconsider my opinion. But something tells me that I am not alone.

2. lucida

lucida Regular Member

Student
    Is it fair to limit the qualifications for Olympic Games to 3? Is it fair for a player to become professional only if he got enough money for training? Is it fair for the prize money for tennis be 15000 grand and badminton 120 only? It's a natural consequence if a game is designed wrong and played poorly from the start. Those things bring shame to China. But I learn to live with it, because it was doomed to happen. It's not because these people are born selfish or whatsoever, its because they are given too many chances to become selfish. It is wrong from the start. Everyone should be blamed, but the source of it, the inappropriate administration should be blamed the most.

3. lucida

lucida Regular Member

Student
    The law is about three things: what you should do; how do you do things right; what you should never do. I've never seen a law without these three things. And I've never seen a country administrated well with mere morallity.
    What I said is: if you view badminton as a team sport, matchfixing is actually right. But of course in no way should it be viewed as a team sport. That's the wrong thing to begin with.
    People normally won't criticise a F1 driver or speed skater for what he has done, because they take them as team sports. It's all about customs and history. The real thing that pissed the audience is teamwork makes those sports more interesting, but makes badminton very boring. Sportsmanship comes from showmanship, and sportsmanship defines what is ethical. People don't really care about fairness, they care about competitiveness. That's why I say this game is poorly designed.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Sure. It is not CHN's fault, it is the bad design.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LYB's moral value is Nation before Self. He justifies his match-fixing as for the good of the country, not individual glory. In Western or European countries, they might do it for personal glory or monetary gain - that seems to be implied from reading the many exchanges,clarifications and arguments the few of you all are engaged in.

The point is we all want to see real fight, genuine victories with the best player of the day winning. But the reality is there is no BWF rules to punish or stop it, and China is able to do it because she has too many strong players to choose from to win glory for the nation based on tournament situation. The Chinese player affected may grudgingly accept it, live with it or quietly or later openly protest it. In my humble opinion, the best way to counter the Chinese action is for the players themselves to fight against it or for a non-Chinese player to be so strong that it doesn't matter which Chinese player is match-fixed to take him/her on. OK, I rest my case, and have no wish to join in or start another argument on this matter. Let's just enjoy the game of badminton - may the best player win!

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

#428 chris-ccc, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

You are correct... I wouldn't want to watch a sport with play-acting involved at the Olympic Games.

But for the Thomas, Uber, Sudirman Cups, it is a different story. Why? Because that's Badminton. :D:D:D

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    not sure what u guys talking about
    i am glad that now chen long is proven to be better than chen jin,lin dan,peter gade and lee chong wei
    chen long should be the reallllllllllllllllllllll world number one!yeah!

(in denial mode,haha)

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Chen Long is now the BEST MS player ???

I can read and understand what you are saying. :):):)

And Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan are laughing at us (for those who think that Chen Long is now the BEST MS player). :D:D:D

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I think Cai Yun is the only one who is immune and too hungry for titles to throw matches (and in the position to refuse) :cool:. Should be interesting after 2012 ;) ... Thought Wang Yihan would be #2 but I guess her bargaining position is not as good as CY's (yet).

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I will just comment on the match fixing thing.It's viewed as serious as taking bribe to lose a match,like football.
    In democratic countries, if an athlete has been asked to purposely lose to a team mate, they can complain against the official/coach. This happened on Msia's lawn bowling team where a player was asked to lose against a lower ranking team mate, in which she refused & the official kicked her out of the team. The team mate was the officer's girlfriend or sthing. The player made the issue public(along with another few more), was re-instated. Officer was booted out of team, but no legal action, cos no concrete proof to satisfy the lawyers, the official was careful, including sms message.

BWF can only do something if the players complain that they were forced to lose by the management/coaches, backed with proof of being asked to do so. Now, imagine the boldness needed to do that, esp in China's type of system.

15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes, almost impossible. That is why I admire Zhou Mi - such a shame she had to retire.
    One aspect of the problem is the 'amateur' status of the players (except rare ones, like TH and WCH.) It is difficult to 'bite the hand that feeds you'.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

After watching the WangYH-JiangYJ match, I realised I read too much into it thinking it must be Wang giving the match away, though I've to admit she didn't play as well or as sharp as when she demolished Saina. For example, there were a number of points where Wang had to stretch herself to retrieve every shot from JYJ and even prolong the rally - why worked so hard if you intend to lose when you could pretend to have an off-day and play an error-prone game.

Come to think of it, with all four semi-final slots occupied by the top four BWF ranked players, I don't see a need for anyone to give way to anyone;they will still retain their top four ranking after this tournament. Reminds me of what the Indian coach P. Gopichand said when asked who his protege Saina should fear most among the top four Chinese, he answered(something to this effect): "They are equally good, depends on whose form is best in the tournament. For Saina to win, she must beat every one of them. To make matters worse, China has this ability to suddenly produce another world-beater at the drop of a hat (referring to Li Xuerui and Liu Xin, I supposed)."

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the fact that only 3 gets to go to London. they will have to play their best. despite the fact that many have already speculated that the 3 Wangs will be chosen, they need to be careful not to show any drop in form. it is still a competition.

in addition, LYB before has stated, it is more critical for players to be able to beat players from another country. i guess who have the best record against players like Saina, Tine will have better value than able to beat each other.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The Wang Yihan [1]-vs-Jiang Yanjiao [4] match

In a match, when there are no smash winners from Wang Yihan, most of us would assume she was told to do so. :D:D:D

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...B55&match=89#cphPage_cphPage_cphPage_tblGame0

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know, my fellow BCers, while we are quite convinced and annoyed that Lin Dan contrived to lose to CJ, I find it amazing that the crowd at Changzhou actually were cheering and applauding at every point scored depending on which of the two they supported as if the two contestants were really slugging it out!? Dunno what to make of it. Puzzled, a bit confused.

20. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    There is nothing we can do about the situation. Unless we don't buy the tickets when the final is a all-chinese affair, we can talk till the cows come home and nothing will happen for the love of the sport. Nothing. We can only choose whether to buy the tickets, or whether to on the tv and tune into the sport.