Do professional players miss on purpose?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by johnnxiv, Nov 26, 2013.

1. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    I see that Lee Chong Wei let his opponent gain more point than him in the beginning of the game. So im just curious.

2. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    This is a very complex issue, you need to see you doctor to have your brain test whether you can withstand shock. It is because the answer will drive you crazy.

3. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    Some players are just slow starters. Others (Kim/Kim come to mind) come out guns blazing but have trouble maintaining the pace. It's complicated.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    some of them do some of the times, and sometimes it maybe on purpose, and sometimes not!

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Sir, what are you trying to say? You had just said something without saying anything. The fact is when some of them don't do, then there must be some of them do. When someone do something, of course sometime it is on purpose and sometime not, is there a third choice.:confused::crying::)

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It's not like LCW let his opponents to move ahead.. We should give credit to the opponents who will try everything (from their potential throwing all the guns they have) to keep the same pace as that of LCW's. But they could not maintain the same pace through out the match.. That's the true fact.. We should not discredit the opponents' efforts just because LCW is No.1..
    Every player will increase his/her pace when they are playing No.1 ranked player. That is the fact. They will try to see where they stand in the standards (to valuate themselves)..

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hehe. because it is not a black and white answer.

who are we to say that no one ever give away some points ever? or always? the truth is probably some where in between never and always.

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I understand it now. Here is the answer. Sometime LCW wants to give points away, sometime he doesn't. Sometime he does it on purpose, sometime not on purpose May be sometime he likes his opponents, sometime he doesn't.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and honestly, everyone are human. maybe he doesn't want to, or he just happened to roll off the bed on the wrong side and have a slow start day.

we all have days like that.

so maybe he looks like he was, but just happened that day he wasn't in great form.

who knows!

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    *cough* "London 2012" *cough*... :p

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Simple answer = No, they never miss on purpose at the start of the first game. (exception of OG2012)

12. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Everyone point is critical in a game. The top players in the world train day after day and make badminton not only their full time job, but their life! This is all they have and what they live for! They need to take it very seriously and work hard every match.

13. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    In general, I don't think so. I do believe it is this.....

1. Some lower players may play "above" their level sometimes against top players, this may occur in parts of the game, but not a complete game and match.

2. Some higher players may play "below" their level sometimes against lower ranked players, again this may occur in parts of the game, but not a complete game and match.

3. Mistakes do happen, game is fast so quick reflexes really do come into play.

4. Some players just aren't playing the top of their games sometimes.

5. Combination of all of the above.

In my opinion, points are not that easy to give away. A couple sloppy serves, misjudged hits, poor placement, or just plain mental lapse in decisions can easily turn a close game to a blow out or the other way, what should be a blow out to a tighter close game. I'm sure we've all seen it or experienced it first hand.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps BWF tells him and LD to keep the scoreline respectable for the poor lowly opponent when it's so obviously one sided. :p

But I do notice that when he and LD play against lower level players, they allow their opponents to reach 11 first at the mid game interval. Then after the break, that's when they gain and pass their opponents by around 16 to 18. Imo I think it's their way of forcing themselves to practice playing under greater pressure. ;)

Dangerous but exciting. :D

15. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I can see that as a bit of "testing the waters", kind of playing not as serious to gain a sense of how the skill level of the opponent is, compared to theirs. Someone needs to be very close to them and ask them directly and report back to the BC community. ;)

16. vixter

vixter Regular Member

It's not so much about how you start a match, it's how you finish it. Better start slow then step on the gas gradually, than the other way around.

But I would not think they miss any shots on purpose, no. Unless we're talking about tanking the end of a set when there's no longer a realistic chance of winning it.

17. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    i think it's more about sizing up the opponent if it is anything else.
    who knows what the opponents might progress further from the last time the met.

just a thought

18. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I have seen LCW leading big (at 19, 20), he would slow down and just play defense. I don't think he gave away points, but clearing high and using backhand (instead of overhead) do results in losing a few points.

19. joetheshow

joetheshow Regular Member

Fulltime day dreamer
    o because the underground gambling scene requires some of them to allow the scoreline to be at certain level before giving a payout. :p