It's time for Misbun Sidek to work for Malaysian Badminton without BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Misbun has told the world that after he quits it will be for good and he will no longer be coaching anymore. Now this is man very hurt by his own perceptions of injustice and has accordingly reacted in an instinctive way. But his word about giving up coaching forever is not in either the national or LCW or anybody's interest.
    Now let us see if he is man enough to do what a real man has to do for the national interest.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Misbun has told the world that after he quits it will be for good

I haven't heard of this news before; that "Misbun has told the world that after he quits it will be for good". :eek::eek::eek:

Could you give us the source of your info?

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I’ll quit coaching altogether if I can no longer contribute

Just found this article; Misbun: I’ll quit coaching altogether if I can no longer contribute

Thursday January 13, 2011

ULU KLANG: A lack of sleep showed on the face of the worn-out 51-year-old Misbun Sidek yesterday but not the fire and passion when he responded to the Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) request for him to re-consider his quit decision.

An emotional Misbun said that he was willing to meet up with BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh but hoped all that the grouses he shared in the past would not be brushed aside.

And, in a choked voice, he said that he was ready to give up coaching altogether if what he had raised in his five-page letter to and discussion with Nadzmi falls on deaf ears again.

Misbun said that his resignation on Dec 31 was not done for personal gain or interest.

“I did it for the country.

“I felt that it was the best decision after my genuine request to raise the standard of the game was turned down. I could not go on when I know that it was the best way to do it,” said Misbun.

“Now, the BAM want me to re-consider my decision.

“I will go and see the president. I will not make any decision until I hear what he has to say.”
    Misbun was hurt because he felt misunderstood and belittled.

“What I asked for my programme as a coach was not for personal gain.

“It has nothing to do with what I can get out of it.

“I am a coach and what I do is for the players – especially in preparation for the Olympic Games,” he said.

“I was not thinking of big plans outside when I leave BAM. In fact, I have decided not to coach anymore if I no longer can contribute and given that complete trust to prepare players like Chong Wei for the Olympic Games.

“Enough of coaching if I am not seen as a credible coach ... I did what I did because it was about a coach’s instinct and his feeling.

“And mostly, because I put the interests of the nation first.”

Asked why he wanted his son Ramdan to be under his care although the structure clearly places the shuttler under the charge of back-up coach Hendrawan, Misbun paused to gather his thoughts.

Then, he replied: “There are times when you see someone and you know that he can make it big. And sometimes, some of these youngsters fit into your big plan. It has to do with the feel of a coach. It may be difficult for some to understand.

“It is my job to prepare the players. I want Chong Wei to win. But when things go wrong, the coach gets the blame. Does anyone see the ground work?”

Misbun said that he appreciates Chong Wei’s loyalty.

“I did not influence him in any way (on Chong Wei’s decision to follow his coach) but he took the trouble to understand what a coach goes through. He appreciates the little things I did for him,” said Misbun.

Asked if he would turn up to support Chong Wei at next week’s Malaysia Open even if a decision has not been made, Misbun said: “Of course, I will be there to support him.”

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/1/13/sports/7788943&sec=sports

But it's only when Misbun thinks that he is no longer able to contribute to Malaysian Badminton.

IMHO, Misbun can contribute to Badminton in Malaysia whether he is with or without BAM.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I think Misbun did say he has no plans to set up any outfit on his own or with LCW so it looks like permanent self-imposed exile.
    But this is Misbun talk and he will be back coaching one way or another but if not with BAM or LCW then any contributions will be puny given his lack of management.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Misbun loves Badminton too much to leave the sport

I think not. :):):)

Misbun loves Badminton too much to leave the sport.

I don't think Misbun would leave Badminton just because BAM wants to have sole control of Malaysian Badminton.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I think it is a bit far-fetched to say that BAM wants to have sole control of Malaysian badminton. It has no legal power to do this. There are perhaps a few hundred thousand badminton players in badminton who have no business with BAM and they go and play their own way.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We still need National Associations to organise players for inter-nations events

Gosh, I have been hammered by many people telling me (via emails) to let our National Associations to run our sports. :eek::eek::eek:

I wish to repeat my comment;

We still need National Associations to organise players when we have inter-nations events such as the Thomas Cup, Uber Cup, Sudirman Cup, Olympic Games etc...

Outside these events, let us not depend on National Associations.

#187 chris-ccc, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Allow our private enterprises/companies/individuals to contribute to Badminton

Good then. :):):)

Allow our private enterprises/companies/individuals to contribute to Badminton, rather than just depending on National Associations to promote Badminton.

#188 chris-ccc, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  9. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    if only... if only...

if they are not monopolizing MAS badminton, then how come put restriction to one player who opt out and left him with no choice but to surrender back... they may not have it legal or not (I don't really know) but they sure got some power to do so... if not, how come some without badminton experience can be there and with what purpose, I have no idea...:confused:

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Any success stories in Msia badminton history for independent players?

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Any success stories in Msia badminton history for independent players?

Not as yet. :):):)

What I have been saying is it is not only for Malaysian Badminton. It's for our worldwide Badminton that we need players and coaches to go independent.

Just compare with our other sports such as; Football, Basketball, Tennis, Golf, Cycling, etc, etc......

Looking at Badminton and Table Tennis, it is still our National Associations that are required to control/manage these sports.

12. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

It's not quite possible and feasible till the day we see the prize money increases tremendously to lets say min USD$250,000 for the champion. It will be a good start and I think it's not quite possible in the near term.

Can't compare with Tennis and Golf coz the winning prize is in the range of USD$750,000 to USD$1mil+. Right now the most lucrative SS tourney is Korea SS, and if I'm not mistaken, the MS title is worth USD$40,000 (pls correct if I'm wrong with the figure).

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's not quite possible and feasible till the day we see the prize money increases

We have to start it one day.

When our Australian greatest Tennis player, Rod Laver, left our Australian Tennis Association to become a professional player back in the 1969, he was excluded from the Grand Slams for a five-year period.

Now, many professional Tennis players worldwide are thankful that Rod Laver who moved away from National Association to become an independent player.

Rod Laver is widely regarded as one of the greatest tennis players of all time.

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I think we are quite close to professional level. Remember, sponsors are also chipping in. ;)

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The champion for MS & WS gets USD90,000.00, Runners-up USD45,600.00 and Semifinalist USD34,800.00.
    MD,WD & XD chanpion gets USD94,800.00, Runners-up USD45,600.00 and Semifinalist USD33,600.00.
    Source :
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=26451

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The champion for MS & WS gets USD90,000

But what jimbo has said is true. :):):)

Currently, at an international horse racing event, a horse winning it (lasting about 2 minutes long) can earn 100 times more than a Badminton player winning an event lasting over 1 week.
    :):):)

17. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    from NST

2011 / 01 /13
    K . M . Boopathy

Coach : Meet conditions and we will talk

NATIONAL singles coach Misbun Sidek is willing to have a meeting with BA of Malaysia ( BAM) president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh but only if his conditions are met by the association .

Nadzmi , after chairing the BAM executive council ( Exco ) meeting yesterday , has asked Misbun to reconsider his decision to resign as the national singles coach and as expected , the latter has laid down his conditions.

Misbun wants a reply to his letter, which the coach says was sent after he announced his resignation through an e - mail to BAM general manager Kenny Goh on Dec 31 , from the association before he meets with Nadzmi .

" I am ready to meet them but BAM must reply to the letter I have sent them, " said Misbun yesterday .

" What I ' m asking is for ( Lee ) Chong Wei and for the nation. I will quit badminton if BAM refuses to meet my conditions. "

BAM has already announced that it is likely to carry on with the new training structure which Misbun was unhappy about and laying down conditions before having a meeting with Nadzmi will only make matters worse .

Nadzmi also didn 't comment on whether Misbun will be allowed to coach his son Misbun Ramdan again after the BAM coaching and training committee had put the 19 - year - old under back- up coach Hendrawan .

Several members of the coaching and training committee are frustrated with BAM taking such a soft stand against Misbun and they themselves are likely to resign if he is reinstated as coach .

Misbun is a strong character and may not reconsider his decision to quit if his demands are not met by BAM .

……......…...........................................................................................
    r

#197 pBmMalaysia, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    SIR Chris, you are comparing badminton to tennis to horsey to everything else:D...the difference is badminton is an Asian dominated sport that needs govt (aka tax-payers) to fund everything. LCW at this point in his career, of course can go pro anytime, he has already made his millions, perhaps the richest badminton player other than LD and TH, and there is only 1.5 yrs left before OLY12.
    To go pro and independent like tennis players mean zero govt (tax payers) handouts, players pay all expenses themselves and proceeds come from success on the courts (very risky), there is no way any baddy player can survive independent unless they have a rich daddy to bankroll it. They need tax payers $$$ badly.;)
    Unless, you want MAS govt (tax payers) to keep funding all players' training expenses including flight, accomodation, massage, psychologist, etc and payout SS win bonuses, pay bonus for WR1,etc. etc. and at the same time, the players are free to go 'independent', call teh shots, that is eat both sides of the cake.
    You mention many private enterprises, etc are ready to sponsor badminton....well, there is no such thing as a benevolent society, companies don't shell out $$$ if there is no return....try to explain to shareholders of the company and that would be fun. The amount of $$$ we are talking about to run BAM operation, how many companies can keep supporting that not just one year but thereafter year after year?
    MO11 and KO11 with record purses, if it is not funded by their govt, is Victor or YY funding the whole thing. I like to see how many rackets they need to sell to pay this of especially, if you checked the other threads, the malaysian public including me, are so darn cheap to not pay RM600 for a racket:p:D.
    Pro tennis pay out huge winnings because of TV $$$ and in turn commercials pay the TV stations millions per the minute, costly ticket prices and still full house (compare to empty stadiums for badminton even with cheap ticket prices and hosted by a baddy power nation e.g. SSF in MAS.
    Horsey thingie, just ask the gamblers how much $$$ they pay to replace the grass turfs and stories of people going broke, and you will know where the $$$ is coming from to payout those prices.
    As long as badminton does not attract European or North American or even your comrades in Aussieland, it can stay as an Asian sport.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I was hoping that Misbun will go on his own and still be involved in Badminton

Misbun said: "What I'm asking is for (Lee) Chong Wei and for the nation. I will quit badminton if BAM refuses to meet my conditions."

And with several members of the coaching and training committee being frustrated with BAM taking such a soft stand against Misbun and they themselves are likely to resign if he is reinstated as coach.

It is sad that it has become like this. Really sad. :eek::eek::eek:

I was hoping that Misbun will go on his own and still be involved in Badminton.

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    MS reportedly makes RM20K per month (RM240K annual). Unless there is $$$ flowing to MS going independent that we do not know, even with LCW joining him, LCW has to gross RM1M and give 25% to MS to make the same income. Unfortunately, no freebie in this world, $$$ talks.
    Also, LCW has maybe 1.5 years left and that is all MS has. Is MS has staff to assist him, that add to his cost. Otherwise, MS has to manage contracts, coaching, his wife's health, etc, etc, while in BAM, all this tedious work are taken care of and MS can concentrate on coaching and coaching basically one player for one mission OLY12. It is a whole different world out there to be in business on your own.