BWF Approved Shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Oldhand, Jan 24, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Maybe a made-by-date would help this

"Maybe a made-by-date would help this"

This is an excellent idea because we all know in certain years, certain batches of brands produced are of better quality. Those who drink wine will understand what I mean. And these better quality shuttles can even be sold at higher prices, compared to those made in the not-so-good years.

It's fair to pay more for them, if the batches are of better quality.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and considering a tube of shuttle is approaching the price of a good bottle of wine, that's not a bad idea.

and of course, similar to wine, the way in which a tube of shuttle was stored will also determine the ultimate quality.

3. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    I agree with most of this but i must say i think Aeroplane EG1130 is better than Yonex AS50s/AS40s and much more reasonable priced. Flight consistency and durability are simply superior and there is just a sweet feel when you hit them. Many will disagree... doesnt matter...

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Any opinions about the FeiFung shuttles?

5. ct3833

ct3833 Regular Member

Manager
    I agree with you, I managed to try two aeroplane EG1130 very recently, the shuttlecock last for at least 1 game each with consistent speed and trajectory and the feather was still in fairly good shape after one game. Comparatively, victor green tends to become slower after half a game, AS30 is never as lasting as well. So far Aeroplane EG1130 is very value for money in my opinion.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    when u say a game, singles or double?

7. ct3833

ct3833 Regular Member

Manager
    we play double. But note, we are not good players. I am using the same team of players to compare AS30, Victor green and Aeroplane. So our skills and usage are the consistent factors, the shuttlecock brand is the only difference. And in comparison, Aeroplane last longer than the other two. The power and more serious players may not find the Aeroplace lasting for a game but I am talking about comparative term in this aspect.

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I think a good serial/date label would give a lot of good information regarding shuttle quality, date of manufacturing, and possible shelf-life. What makes everything difficult is when you get no information and you dont know duck from goose. X(

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    A shuttlecock could have duck and goose feathers mixed together

Some even say that a shuttlecock could have duck and goose feathers mixed together. To me, I also cannot tell what is what. :eek::eek::eek:

10. nerfherder86

nerfherder86 New Member

I've recently tested some Indocock Green(also referred to as diamond). At around $17 AUD a tube i was curious how they compare to shuttles in the $20-30 range.

Flight is very good initially, however durability is an issue. In one game, we used 3 shuttles as there seemed to be a tendency for 1 feather to break quite quickly due to normal hard hitting/smashing (not due to mishitting). Maybe this is due to a mixture of feather grades being used in the manufacture??

Our preference is to stick with RSL.No1 which usually last 1 game or 1.5 games and is a reasonable price for return.

Overall the indocock green shuttles are okay for the price, but if you have a club with some serious players, it's not worth it as the turnover is high. Another case of 'you get what you pay for'.

11. issota

issota Regular Member

Shuttlecock Industry
    Wah it's very hard to make the best performance shuttlecock.
    exp, we made 12 pc of shuttlecock, and when tested maybe 1 or 2 with the best performance. the angle of the feather, balance weight between feathers and the head, the glue, the rotation it's hard to control them hahaha... Maybe when you buy in normal store you will get any diferent type of speed, spin speed, a little shake, etc. but all top producer, they must do the speed test for all their product before they sell, right???
    but when in the tournament the producer should use the best performance shuttlecock ^^... hope soo...
    if the producer give all the best shuttlecock in all teir mass product, the player will very very love it but not for the producer hahaha....

12. stan boyd

stan boyd Regular Member

dental technician/stringer
    Kwun could it be that your old shuttles have deteriated slightly, but due to the fact that shuttles a few years ago where so much better, they still play better than the fresh new shuttles. i played with a few tubes of old shuttles that had been just sitting in a cupboard under my combi-boiler for two seasons, in a 24 hour badminton event, so a good test. they where far superior to any new shuttles we had in relation to longevity, just a thought

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is hard to say because you are comparing shuttles of different brands. In the old days almost all shuttles were made from goose feathers. That was when demand for them was very small. Now the demand for shuttles has really shot through the roof, especially after the Beijing Olympics. To meet this increased demand duck feathers are now increasingly being used. Duck feathers are not as durable as goose feathers although they have the same playability and the same grading system. Also the most durable goose feather shuttles do not have the best playability. The best playability shuttles come from the feathers in the middle of the wing, which are not exactly the strongest feathers as they are used for lift instead of boost or propulsion in a bird's take-off. Very thick and stiff feathers are not good for playability and durability. They are too stiff to be able to absorb the enormous forces from a power hit. They also feel hard. Good feathers must feel firm yet a little flexible at the spines. Also the type of glue or resins used have an effect on durability too. Natural resins are best but they are now very expensive.

14. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

16. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff