Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    1st clash was when she was front left and I was back right. We both went for the shuttle that was mid right. It was sorta behind her so I went for a lift. Clashed rackets and a small chip (5mm I guess?) was the result.

2nd clash with the same girl. I smashed the shuttle from the back left (she was front right/mid) and it was poorly returned. The shuttle was going to mid left and was primed for a smash. So naturally this juicy set up, I went full bore for a smash. Full swing only to see a racket appear before me. No let up at all and I swear sparks flew (or at least saw the paint chips fly away). 2 HUGE chips (1 cm wide) were the result. The VT80 still plays fine. Just doesn't look mint anymore.

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

What happens to her racket? Still in one piece too?

3. CanucksDynasty

Yeah...her Victor BS11 survived (as far as I know cuz I haven't heard anything about it). Don't know how bad her chips are since I didn't look at her racket afterwards.

4. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    So the durability has improved over previous models.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I don't understand why everyone thinks the VT80 3U is really heavy. I tried it last night and honestly it wasn't that heavy during doubles games that I was playing. It felt really manageable then again I do use the AT700 for doubles quite regularly. Might pick one up later in the year...

6. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

It isn't really that heavy... I can't imagine using something lighter... The 3U is perfect for me... My defense improved with the VT80 3U compare to my AT900P 3U...

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

It's probably heavy to anyone who isn't used to rackets with balance points over 300mm. By the way, I was holding a racket used by one of the players in my club the other day, and it seriously felt twice as heavy as the VT80 - good old steel racket hehe.

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Well I suppose if you compare it to steel, everything will feel lighter:p I didn't really get much chance to test it's potential in terms of smashing as it was strung with BG66 @ 27lbs, so I didn't want to break the strings. But defensively it is good enough to use in doubles, easier I would say than using the AT700LTD, but I am sure it's got good potential from the back, in terms of power. Also I didn't use it long enough to test to see if it was demanding.

9. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Got given another 3UG5 Voltric 80 as a gift, SP coded, strung with BG70 (looks genuine). String tension appears to be very high (for me) - feels like it's at least 28 pounds. Will give it a whirl tonight. The Voltric 80 I bought myself is strung with BG65 at 25 pounds (although it was probably more towards 27 pounds initially, has now finally dropped to about 25 I think). Will be interesting to compare how different string tensions and type of string influence the Voltric 80 for me.

10. feather_guy

feather_guy Regular Member

Is the Voltric 80 the flagship racquet of the Voltric series, like the Arc 10 or Arc Z-Slash of the Arcsaber series, or will there be many more upgrades in the Voltric series?

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think yes, most likely it is. I've personally found it to be a great racket.

By the way, the different string and string tensions didn't make any noticeable difference for me. Will see how it goes in the next session. Also recently bought myself NBG95 and NBG98 string - will eventually re-string the Voltric 80's I have with them.

12. CanucksDynasty

Went by TAD's today.

The VT80 was selling for $200+tax.
    A bit cheaper than when I bought it back in April.
    The MX80 going for $165+tax.
    Seems that prices are going down.

Also was told that they should be getting the VT80 Ltd and selling for $220+tax (I'll see if that price holds up).
    I'll get it for sure if that's the price.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Probably something to do with the strong CAD atm... :D

14. hduong

hduong Regular Member

The VT80 is going back in the bag. No elbow pain but wrist/hands still hurt from time to time. Back to a less stiff and even balance racket with the BS09 / BS12. Really like this racket and may bring it out from time to time.

15. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    u need a tissue?

16. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Nice how the LTD is going to drive down the price of the original! The original color looks like the At700LTD :p

17. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

what's the difference between the standard VT80 and the VT80 LTD? is it only colour scheme?

18. JuicyBug

JuicyBug Regular Member

Got my Voltric 80 3UG5 during my Taiwan trip and my review after 2 games. The head is indeed heavy but not something that cannot be managed. In fact, the head's heaviness feels very good when u swing, especially for lobs or smashes because the heaviness pulls the frame down during the swing motion and the swinging speeds seems to be rather fast. Racket feels very solid, paint job is fantastic. The only bad thing I feel about the racket is that it feels quite hard to flick during defense for doubles because of its weight but it gives me a reason to further train myself to adapt to it because this racket really feels very good. So sad to have a paint chip on its first game because my friend's racket clashed into mine. Heartache.

19. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    I bought a Voltric 80 3u. Strung it with BG66UM @24lbs. Awesome racket. It's not heavy at all. It is head heavy though and requires a lot of torque in your forearm to generate powerful short stroke shots. Full swing shots are a breeze though and much easier than any other racket I've used. It is indeed effortless in that you can just do the motion of a swing and still do a decent smash. And if you do put effort in, the power is just immense.

Some people say they get hurt using this racket!? You shouldn't get hurt using any racket unless your using a poor technique. Unless you merely mean hurt as in fatigue/aching because you've over used muscles wielding a head heavier racket.

I agree you need more time to get used to a new racket, especially if it's different balance and/or flexibility. I went back to my old racket of 12 yrs (then the best racket i've played with :)), now that feels strange and I needed a session to get back into it, as now the feel of the VT80 is the 'norm'.

20. CanucksDynasty

Another 1hr singles session last night against my friend with the Arc10. His defensive play has improved to the point where my first smash is returned (poorly) which I finish off with the 2nd smash. Won all 3 games but the first 2 games could have gone either way. I should really warm up some more cuz almost every game...I give him a big lead to start off and then have to rally a come back to win. I noticed that my drops are really poor in the first 2 games (ie. out, in the net, just plain bad). But by the 3rd game...it was all there. With my drops working...I won the 3rd game pretty easily (15-5).