Please review on GOSEN RYOGA SERIES

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jason1975, May 27, 2011.

1. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

2. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

Third trial with the Shiden....it was a bad hitting day. I did some vigorous exercise yesterday and I was almost exhausted when playing badminton. What I felt is, I shouldn't play today. Mishit and mishit happened again and again, even if I can hit the bird right at the centre, I couldn't generate the power I produced in the first two trials.

It's lucky that this racket is not head-heavy, otherwise it will be more frustrating for me to play with it. What I can say is, you really need to be pretty fit to use this racket, especially when you have adapted to it. Once you are at bad condition, your swing will be slower and you won't be able to hit the ball hard, or even mishit. Of course, this happens to every rackets, but with this smaller head-size, the effect is more prominent.

3. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Got my shiden today!!! :D

Didn't get to try out my racket today, so I will just say a little bit thing about my first impression:

The appearance is VERY nice and unique (real thing looks better than the pic), and the painting is really good. I had a few swings and I am surprised that it is actually a lot lighter than my previous racquet (rsl x5 white). It feels really solid and feels really good. Although I am not sure if it feel right for me but I like the stiffness after having few swings. It cuts through the air really fast like what Bigfastsiu said.

Its really great!! Although I havent start using it but I really fall in love with it :p

4. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

Nice to hear that you like it that quick. I agree that the colour looks better than in those pictures. The paint are quite tough, not so easy to get chipped but it's rather delicate, pretty easy to have lines(scratches) on the frame. So, be careful to use it.

But anyway, rackets are designed to play. If you take too much care on the racket, you are not quite likely to be able to play your best game.

5. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Yea haha.. Anyways i just tried a few hits outside my house with my brother, and i found out that the hitting sound is really special lol. Different than the usual hitting sound.

6. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

That's very true. The sound is of higher pitch.
    I think it's because of the even-balance and thin frame design, you can swing faster than you normally do. The air movement(more accurate, air vibration) produces that sound.

7. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

yea I really like that sound haha.. Will try it out tmrw to see how I feel :)

8. oasis

oasis Regular Member

Hi, what string do you use for your Tenbu and shiden?

9. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

When you get it strung and hit the bird for the first time, you will also find it pretty interesting. The smaller frame produces a "ping" sound, some sort of resonance probably. The sound is good but the feel is more of the dull side i think.

10. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

I tried the Ashaway Zymax 62 and now using the Yonex BG66UM

11. bestwish

bestwish New Member

Congratulations!
    my shiden just traveled though the pacific
    i think i will receive it tomorrow and i hope i will feel the same as you do......
    so exciting~~~

12. raph75

raph75 New Member

engineer
    Bought shiden last month. It's my frst high end racket. The goodside bout ths racket: great paint job, stable/solid feel, fast and improve my smash by ALOT. THe downside: Bit difficult to adjust with timing maybe due to longshaft. My 2nd/3rd racket r rsl 9900/yy arc008. Hardy use them anymore..

13. raph75

raph75 New Member

engineer
    "Bit difficult to adjust with timing maybe due to longshaft." in my frst 3hrs session wth ths racket..

14. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

The head-size and the faster swing speed also contribute to the harsh time for adjusting.

15. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

It's so nice to hear that more and more people are trying Gosen's racket.

Gosen has got a very good shaft, which is quite different from other brand. Even they state the racket to be stiff, it's probably less stiff than others, say for example Yonex's. For this Ryoga series, I think it's becoming less of its style. They are still quite flexible I think, but not as flex as those previous series. The most famous series must be Roots Aermet, the two-kick point system. Many friends of mine have tried it, and they say it's unique and powerful. However, when they are used to Gosen's racket, it takes a long time for them to re-adjust to other rackets, in case they want to. In my opinion, Ryoga is something less of this drawback. Of course, they didn't add the two-kick point system in it. But the shaft is more of a mainstream one, that are easier to adjust.

16. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Nice to hear that people are starting to get gosen racket. Got my shiden but havent really tried it yet ==" Gonna try it this week

17. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

Tried Gosen Ryoga Shiden for 2 sessions (2hrs each) and this is how I would rate the racket:

First Session: Second Session:

Smash Power - 6 Smash Power - 9
    Clear Power - 7 Clear Power - 9
    Control - 5 Control - 8
    Stiffness - 7 Stiffness - 7
    Net play - 7 Net Play - 8

The rating certainly improved after the first session. I didn't get used to the racket because it is lighter than my previous racket and the racket frame size. However it is very easy to adjust to it. During the second, I played extremely better than the first session lol. I find my smash and clear power has increased alot and I have better control with the racket. I dont feel that the net play changed much. I also need to say that my backhand power increase, but still cant hit it accurate enough. It could be due to my insufficient technique ==". I reallly like this racket and I think I will play better after a few more sessions. Overall, this is a a really good and impressive racket.

18. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    hi jason1975,
    glad you like your shiden. it is a fact that gosen is much lesser known than other brands, and even worse when i heard from a shop in singapore telling me that gosen have closed shop(as they are selling very old Gosen rackets like PKS 980 in queensway). where did u buy your shiden from? as i m considering to get one more tenbu or try out shiden.

19. jason1975

jason1975 Regular Member

20. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    ok. guess i will look for mr chan again from e78 since i bought my first tenbu there. thanks for the link.:)