Looking to join any badminton group in Namsan

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by chinmike, Feb 18, 2009.

1. chinmike

chinmike Regular Member

Area Manager
    Hi, I am a Malaysian and enjoy playing badminton very much...I am an intermediate to advance level player. In my new job responsibility, I will be travelling regularly to Seoul, Korea.

I am just wondering if there is any badminton club or group that I can join to play in Namsan area or nearby. I would appreciate any information at all.

2. event

event Regular Member

Are you on the north (Myeongdong) side of Namsan or the south (Itaewon, Hyatt) side? Either way, I don't know anything within walking distance. If you're on the north side, the #2 or #4 lines should be close enough to make one of the Sky Clubs - where Oldhand and David played - accessible. There is another thread on that. I'll find it later. If you're in the Itaewon area, there may be a thread on that somewhere, too, but as I recall, it was difficult to find a club in that area, at least online.

3. chinmike

chinmike Regular Member

Area Manager
    not really sure, but it's somewhere near Sofitel hotel. Is that north side of Namsan? I don't mind if it's a bit far as long as I can get a good game of badminton...appreciate the help.

4. event

event Regular Member

Well, basically, that's the north side. There are a few clubs in that area but in the immediate vicinity, many seem to be outdoor and most seem to play early in the morning, which usually means most members are elderly.

One club that plays both mornings and evenings is at Deoksoo Middle School. That is 1km from the Sofitel, just soutwest of Euljiro-4-ga subway station. Just walk north from the Sofitel (away from Namsan), pass one massive intersection and then turn left at the next one, where the SK gas stn and the KB bank are. After turning, walk past the next giant intersection and it's just past it, you have to take an alley veering off to the right. I've included a map. Just follow the pink line from the H to the school-looking flag icon.

The other thing to do would be to get on the subway, which is also on the map. Go to Dongdaemun Stadium Stn and get on the purple #5 line to get to the places I suggested to David here or go to Euljiro-4-ga Stn and get on the green #2 line to get to Ahyun Stn to get to the place Oldhand went to, which is Ahyun Elementary School and you can see a map to it here.

Attached Files:

#4 event, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. chinmike

chinmike Regular Member

Area Manager
    Thanks a lot...I will try to find the place. The problem is that I can only play in the evening so if you come across any group playing in the evening even if it's a bit far, do let me know.

6. event

event Regular Member

Yes, all three of those play in the evenings. Enjoy.